New Accord Owner needs Idea's - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD 4-CYL GENERAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #1

New Accord Owner needs Idea's

Hello, I have recently just purchased a 1997 Honda Accord DX. Pics of it are here:
http://hondashowoff.com/profile.php?id=5452
I'm currently planning on modding the engine and such a bit, but I need some idea's on what to do first, what to get, what's best bang for a buck. I won't have a lot of money till either the end of this summer or early next summer, so I got a lot of time to think about it. The engine currently is a 2.2L SOHC with a AEM cold air intake. What would be the best way to get more power out of this engine, or should I buy a new engine for it? And if so, any recommendations on what kind of engine to get? If I were to keep this engine, I would be putting a new stick shift in it, as it is a 4speed automatic. Also, I keep hearing about boost and psi, what do these mean, so far as an engine goes, and how would I take advantage of it? I'm probally not going to be working on the exterior much till I get the engine and suspension out of the way, save for new side mirrors and rims. For a new suspension, what are these coilovers I keep hearing about? What would be the best and/or cheapest new suspension to get, as for being able to change the stiffness and such. I thank all of you that respond with any information in advance.
-romanaz
romanaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #2

Okay, ill take this, but im by no means an expert. Anyways, best bang for your buck would be a turbocharger/supercharger setup. This woudl be the cheapest way to get horsepower. You said you would switch the transmission. THis is a good idea, since it seems Honda doesn't have automatic transmissions that are able to handle the extra power of a turbo charger. A new engine is good but very expensive option, since you need to fabricate new parts to swap and also take into consideration that the engine needs its own ECU and transmission. Also, you might need to work on suspension since a engine with bigger displacement will weigh more. As for boost and PSI. Boost is just a term for using a force induction setup. PSI is pounds per square inch, a pressure term. A turbocharger (FI) pushes in more air into the cylinders by using the exhaust as a source of power. I'm not very sure about suspension, but I think its a setup of both teh shock and the spring put together. Anyways, I'm sure other members will be able to provide much more technical and car specific information. Hope this helps as just background information.
05AI4Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #3
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Put your stock taillights back on, the OEM ones look fine on these cars. Trust me I have one

Don't waste your money on the F22, swap it for an H22A from a Honda Prelude, preferably 97+ for emissions reasons. The 5 speed is the way to go, and stay away from the drivetrains from the Prelude Type SH. Even with a stock H22 swapped in, you will notice a huge gain in power over what you have now. So instead of spending thousands on bolt-ons that don't do crap for you, save for a swap that will actually net you some power.

Boost is additional airflow into your engine generated by a compressor (supercharger or turbo) PSI is the measurement of the boost pressure (pounds per square inch). The more air and fuel you can cram into your cylinders per combustion cycle, the more powerful the combustion will be, and the more power your engine will make. Keep in mind, too much pressure = broken parts...very expensive broken parts.

As for suspension, don't waste your money on cheap parts, you will end up replacing them eventually, so get something good the first time around. A coilover is a shock and spring built into one assembly, and the height is adjustable. A good place to start looking for coilovers is from Tein, they make good products for the price. The Tein Basic Coilover is height adjustable with fixed dampening (softness). The Tein SS coilover is height adjustable with adjustable dampening (make it soft or stiff), and the Tein SSP is the same as the SS, but includes an adjustable pillow ball mount, so you wont be needing a camber kit on the front end. When you drop your car alot, it makes the wheels angle in towards the top of the suspension, this is called negative camber. You need an adjustable camber kit to fix this.

When you swap to the H22, you may want to look into doing a 5 lug conversion at the same time if you're going to be swapping axles and stuff, if you decide to do this, now would be the time to get yourself a good brake kit. No point in having a nice car if you can't slow down and drive it into a tree or worse, someone else

So heres my reccomendation:

H22A/5MT Swap
Tein SSP Suspension
Good Brakes (Rotor/Pad Upgrade, or Big Brake Kit)

Hope this helps, happy modding, and welcome to V6P

-James
Gone but not forgotten:
  • 2010 BMW 135i (500hp, JB4 w/ E85)
  • 2013 Honda Accord 4dr EX-L
  • 2002 Honda Accord 4dr EX-V6
  • 1999 Honda Accord 4dr LX
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #4

That is what I keep hearing, to just get a new h22a engine. Now, since it's going to take me a good while to save up for a new engine, I'm probally going to start working on the suspension/brakes first. I'll take a look at Tein for that. For brakes, when I bought the car, it had brand new ones on it, so I'm not going to switch them out for a bit. The taillights came already on the car when I bought it and I don't have the OEM ones. It actually had new headlights but a rock hit them and I had to buy the OEM ones. Now, besides a h22a prelude engine, what other kinds of engines should I be looking at, so as not to limit myself? Also, I'm taking it to inspection soon, and one of my mechanics says the mid-section might have a leak in it, but couldn't find one, so if it fails, should I ask the guy to put a performance exhaust system on for a few extra dollars? This is all covered on the warrenty.
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Well if you go with the H22, youre going to need to get your exhaust custom done anyway, but they can modify whatever you have in place with some welding. So you can have that replaced, just don't spend a ton of money on a catback that they will have to hack and weld in a little while
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #6

Is there any other engine type I could get, besides a h22a, or that is worth looking into? Just trying to keep options open and not limit myself.
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #7
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Nothing worth your time over an H22
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #8

Why should he avoid the Prelude SH engines? Just curious. . .

Last edited by buffalobill; June 19th, 2005 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: typo
buffalobill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #9
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Nononono...the SH Engine is fine, it's the transmission you don't want. It has all kinds of electronic torque transferring jiggery pokery that nobody has figured out how to swap into an accord yet, and it weighs more.

If you swap the prelude engine with the accord transmission, the gear ratios are all wrong, so you can use whatever H22 motor you want, but make sure you have a tranny to go with it
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #10

What is the difference between vtec and non-vtec, what is the difference ? I hear bits and peices about what it does and such. http://www.vtecswap.com/ on this site, It lists the h22a as 2700 dollars, is that a good price ? What about any of the other engines there ? Pardon my ignorance. =/
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #11

VTEC engines have more power than the non-VTEC versions. this is because the camshafts have two profiles: a low RPM one to maximize economy and smoothness at lower RPMs, and a high RPM one to maximize performance. as you reach a certain RPM (i think the norm is about 4000-5000 for most Hondas) the engine computer will make the cams switch over to the high profile so you have more power.

on some engines, there is a noticeable "kick" at the VTEC crossover point since more power is produced. on other engines, the "kick" may be less noticeable or not even noticeable at all. either way, you will notice a change in the engine's sound when it crosses over to the high cams.
iVTECaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #12

I've heard from some people that VTEC engines don't work well with turbo's is that true ?
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:46 AM   #13

I am really new to this area, and I know I don't know a lot, yet. I won't be doing anything till I am sure I know what I'm doing. I'm just hear for idea's and learning from people who already know what they are doing, which is the best way for me to learn. Thanks for the links.
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #14

Boost is where its at bro i dont even know if your tranny would even hold that kind of power though lol
crunk_accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #15
Formerly VTEC-v6!

:facepalm:
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #16
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #17

Thanks for great sharing...
labo111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in