What's the torque of our cars? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:55 PM   #1

What's the torque of our cars?

Hey guys, did a search already but can't find anything. I've always thought our cars were 168lbft tqe, but someone mentioned in a previous post it was 178lbft? Thanks in advance for the clarification.
enginerd04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:05 PM   #2
bryan <3's bomex

its 178 my friend
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:07 PM   #3

thanks =). Wow, its higher than I thought, which is great! But alas, it is still slow. I ran a 16.2 best with my exhaust. Recently got a AEM SR intake, wonder if I can break into the 15's. My friend has run a 15.9 with an i/e and some plug wires.

*edit: weird but it says 165lbft here, is this wrong?

http://edmunds.com/used/1996/honda/a...enav..6.Honda*

Last edited by enginerd04; February 3rd, 2004 at 09:39 PM..

Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:31 PM   #4

edmunds.com was the only oddball i looked several places and they all say 178 but it dont matter its just matters what you can put down to the wheels
omega c9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 4th, 2004, 06:56 AM   #5
bryan <3's bomex

i just looked at the speedoptions article they had on omega's car. ehh
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #6
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally posted by enginerd04 on February 3rd, 2004 at 11:07 PM

thanks =). Wow, its higher than I thought, which is great! But alas, it is still slow. I ran a 16.2 best with my exhaust. Recently got a AEM SR intake, wonder if I can break into the 15's. My friend has run a 15.9 with an i/e and some plug wires.

Those are good times for 5th gen AV6', that's right about what a 6th gen with the same mods will run

The factory ratings were 170HP and 165TQ but I can believe 178 since manufacturers often underrate their cars. Does anyone know where I can find a dyno of a 5th gen AV6? Thanks!
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #7
bryan <3's bomex

i think bender or some other guy got his car dynoed a long time ago at pep boys, but its not a stock dyno if thats what youre looking for
Old February 7th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #8
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

It's 165tq, not 178. MSN Carpoint said 178 which is wrong. They also said the EX 4-banger has 145hp and 190tq which is incredibly wrong.

If the C27A4 was under-rated and really had 178tq then it would be as quick as a 6th gen and also would have been quicker than a 5g EX 5spd. But it's not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #9

good point,
Old February 7th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by mastadulog
i think bender or some other guy got his car dynoed a long time ago at pep boys, but its not a stock dyno if thats what youre looking for
yea, bender is a friend of mine. He dynoed at 178hp, and said he lost a little torque. His mods were SR intake, full catback exhaust, and iridium plugs and wires. But as mastadulog said, that's not a stock dyno.
Old February 8th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #11

hey SteVTEC, are you saying out v6 is actually slower than the 5th generation accord ex manual?
Robs97accordv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #12
bryan <3's bomex

yes he is
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #13

wait i'm confised. I was under the impression that our car was a faster stock car because of the more horsepower and torque. Why would someone spend more money on a slower car like we did? Not hating on our rides by the way.
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #14
bryan <3's bomex

well, our trannies suck up alot of power which is expected and after reading that article on omega's car i found out the tranny is heavy as **** too. most ppl who buy accords are usually in their 40's and up. i dont think it really matters to them that our cars are 2 cars lengths behind the 5spd at 130 heh
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #15

imagine a b16 block with no trans thats how heavy our auto trans is. thats why if you want u can swap it out to manual and it will make u quite a bit faster than the 5speed 4cyl
Old February 10th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #16
Q

Quote:
well, our trannies suck up alot of power which is expected and after reading that article on omega's car i found out the tranny is heavy as **** too. most ppl who buy accords are usually in their 40's and up. i dont think it really matters to them that our cars are 2 cars lengths behind the 5spd at 130 heh
can i have the link to the omega's article?
accord6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #17
bryan <3's bomex

http://www.speedoptions.com/articles/3313/

i cant find the other ones though sorry
Old February 10th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #18

An auto tranny is usually 60 pounds heavier than a manual, and they also put 5-10% less power to the ground than a manual. So with that taken into account, the resulting power to weight ratio on a 5g EX 5spd is better than a 5g V6 auto. So the 4-cyl is a tad quicker. The V6 doesn't quite have enough power to overcome the extra weight or the auto tranny inefficiencies vs the 4-banger. Oh, V6 engines are much heavier than I-4's also.
Old February 10th, 2004, 07:58 PM   #19
bryan <3's bomex

youre one smart cookie
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #20

this sucks, it would almost be better to do a h22a swap with a manual, or maybe pul an omega. I new to this game, and yo guys got me dissapointed lol. I thought i was faster with the v6.
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #21
Q

its cool. thanks for the link
accord6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #22

damn i should have weighed my trans but it took 2 of us to move it around and most of the time we just used our legs to push it across the floor. also i probably put down more power because of my clutch.

rob: hondas arent super fast cars and usually the 5 speed guys cant even drive their cars well and will never hit the times that is recorded. In the end they will be about neck and neck with you but it is much easier to mod the 4 banger. if u want quick power just get a turbocharger built we have gave severl options dont have to build engine like me and just up your tranny through level ten or some custom shop. there are easy ways to make power so dont be whiny
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally posted by omega c9
hondas arent super fast cars and usually the 5 speed guys cant even drive their cars well and will never hit the times that is recorded.
Yea, I definitely agree with Omega on this. My best run at the track was 16.2 with only an exhaust. The best I've seen from EX's at the track were 16.5's-16.7's with mods. So all in all, most of the EX's drivers can't drive to hit the low times, but in the same respect, all we do is floor it (no real skill there).

One race I beat a 2000ish Mustang V6 manual w/exhaust and we both had a perfect launch but I still beat him by 1/2 a car length. It's all up to the OTHER driver when we race in our AV6's.

Last edited by enginerd04; February 11th, 2004 at 12:11 PM..
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #24
bryan <3's bomex

what else have u raced?
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #25

omega thanks, u have descibed things perfectly...sory for sounding *****y. Alright, i've heard of building up our tranies before, but i am wondering more about it. Can you explain to me certain things they can to the auto tranny and around how much things cost? Or do you think it would just be cheaper to do your manual swap? Also, if i build up my tranny does that mean it can just handle more hp, or it will lighten it and better parts to put the power to the ground? thanks
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:47 PM   #26

oh ya, with ur 5 spd can u top out higher since u have another hear, or r the ratios just different?
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #27

building up your auto trans is a bit easier and levelten.com has all the packages. the manual trans can withstand more but i dont think ur looking to be really fast just quick right? the gear ratios on my trans are different i dont know it by heart but i have it somewhere at home. the manual trans is pretty costly more than auto trans upgrade.

im not a crazy driver i drive very normally so i dont know if it has a higher speed or what not.
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #28

i'm not looking to have a FAST car, especcially because i know i cant afford it and if i did i would have an accord...no offense. My goal is to be able to get to about 230 hp or w.e it take to get going off the line. I have a lot of questions on internals and stuff, do u think i should make a new thread for it or what?
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #29

If your goal is to get going fast off the line you don't need more peak horsepower (high RPM torque). You need an engine that produces a lot of torque at low RPM's and Honda is well known to NOT produce engines with decent low-end torque. They seem to be changing that somewhat with some (not all) of the newer cars, though.
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #30

yea wat steve said is right u will need torque not horsepower. luckily our engine does produce lots of torque when played with. theres a lot of things u can do u can ask some tech questions to my friend because he will work with NA c27 im going straigh turbo. his name is aidan call him at 626 359-9572
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in