Idle/Stalling Problem - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #1

Unhappy Idle/Stalling Problem

When I start the car and let it warm up for about ~5-10 minutes, I walk out and notice that the car has a weird idle. The tach jumps from 500 -> 750rpm and the exhaust condensation comes out rather inconsistent. Then if I try to give it gas it will rev and bog, and then ultimately stall. Even if I try to put it into gear it will stall as well. The car won't start either until I wait about 30mins later then the car will finally start up again. Its been to the dealership pretty much once every month now and they have no clue what could be causing it?

Anyone have suggestions? It will run like normal for a month or so then just act up like that at any given day. It sucks knowing that the car will start and run fine today, but may not start up tomorrow..
evo1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #2
Q

my problem is similar. for a week or so now when i start my car, my tach stays above 1100. also i hear a single fast clanking noise at startup. n now when i m driving, my car shift at 4000rpm not the usual 3100rpm nemore. strange.

i think i need to bring it to a mechanic to check it out
accord6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #3

I dont know to much about cars evo, but i think hotter burning spark plugs might help. I also notice my cars rpm needle is inconsistent, but i have never had any stalling problems. How many miles ar on your car?
Robs97accordv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 11th, 2004, 06:01 PM   #4
Q

i have 77,000 miles but i think i need to change my spark plugs. no stalling problems here.
Old February 11th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Robs97accordv6
I dont know to much about cars evo, but i think hotter burning spark plugs might help. I also notice my cars rpm needle is inconsistent, but i have never had any stalling problems. How many miles ar on your car?
It has ~120,000 miles on it. Got a full tune-up about 5 months ago and sat at the dealership for 3 of those months before I bought it. Well the dealership changed the ignition coil and something in the fuel system (my mom was on the phone and couldn't understand them very well + the technician wasn't at the dealer to tell me). I think it was the fuel filter or pump. We'll see how it runs in the next 2 months.

P.S. Is it normal for the transmission to "hold" a gear or give a rought shift between 1st and 2nd around ~35-40km/h?
Old February 12th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #6
Q

damn dis morning when i looked under the hood, i heard a continuous clanking sound under the valve cover. ne clues ne one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 16th, 2004, 01:29 AM   #7

valve clearance is messed up? Is our valves clearance adjustable?

U might want to check ur timing belt.
accordRedliner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #8

they are hydraulic, not adjustable. Definately check the timing belt. Mine gets replaced tomorrow actually. Along with my water pump. I Had the idle problem as well. coolant wasnt flowing properly so the sensors couldnt adjust the idle accordingly. I suggest you check the thermostat first. make sure coolant is flowing. make sure your heat is working, make sure you have pressure in your radiator hose. Make sure you coolant level is ok. Thats about all I can think of right now.
laststarburning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:26 PM   #9
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

Send a message via MSN to cowgodv6
I had the same issues this weekend
started up cold - warmed up for 10-15 mins
then idling and bucking like something was limiting eletrical flow
it would act up - so I'd turn it off ... it'd give a little hassle to start, then would be fine - then around 1000 RPM it's start bucking like it was not getting enough gas -

As soon as I'd hit the gas - It would stall - and sound like someone muffled the intake ?? maybe fuel delivery issue ??

from the repairs I've done on my ride, it's very hard to pin point out what may be doing this - mainly because I have hardly had ANy issues with the car in the past 3-4 years ( honda reliability )

this ONLY happens when there is 100 % humidity outside and it's damp - I had never had this problem at -40 F or at 95 F

I think it has a lot to do with our cap and humidity getting caught in it. I want to get an aftermarket distributor / cap etc ... Honda wants like 350 - + for all new honda pieces

any ideas on what may work for our setup ?

I doubt very much it's the water pump because it would not flow at all if that was damaged or worn -

I am getting my timing belt and water pump done next week
Next month - Project 5 speed starts
92 Civic LX 4 door Winter Beater - Wife`s winter car (scrapped)
92 Accord EX - Winter Beater

Last edited by cowgodv6; February 22nd, 2004 at 05:29 PM..
cowgodv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #10

ok the iddle problem is likely related to a coolant problem. The computer is not properly seeing the car warm up. it is trying to switch from the cold idle to the normal idle. I had to replace my water pump to take care of the problem. but make sure your thermostat is ok as well. also make sure your air filter is clean. most people overlook how important a good filter is.
laststarburning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #11

Its all good now, took it to the dealer and they said it had to do with the fuel system. They fixed it for free and I hope it doesn't show up again in a few months.

thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in