crazy jumping tach needle - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #1
bryan <3's bomex

crazy jumping tach needle

i was driving a couple days ago on the highway going about 55 in d3. rpms come up to about 4k and then all of a sudden i see the tach needle drop to 1k. i started laughing like crazy because it started to jump like a mexican jumping bean and was going from 3 to 4. happened only for 10 minutes then went back to normal. i know this happened to some of you guys, what the **** is going on?
photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
myspace:

hincity:
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2004, 12:25 AM   #2

ignition coil
a few of us have had this problem
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...threadid=19407
DaRude1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #3
Q

when i m at 3k, its bounces around 2.8 and 3.1k. it happened for a few seconds and stopped completely until the next day...

i think mine is in the beginning stage...

but thanks for the link. i will need it later on.
accord6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 13th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #4
bryan <3's bomex

im just gonna get an msd coil instead of changing to another stock one

anyone ever install one of these puppies? was it hard or should i just take it somewhere

Last edited by mastadulog; April 13th, 2004 at 08:08 PM..
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:26 AM   #5
bryan <3's bomex

Quote:
Originally posted by accord6
when i m at 3k, its bounces around 2.8 and 3.1k. it happened for a few seconds and stopped completely until the next day...

i think mine is in the beginning stage...

but thanks for the link. i will need it later on.
yea, it starts out as a once in a while thing then it does more often and often. i just ordered my blaster 2 ill tell you guys how it goes
photos:

myspace:

hincity:
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:01 PM   #6
Q

my needles gettin worser but i can live with it lol.

but yeah mastadulog, let us know how that baby goes. remember take pics because i need it when i work on mine.

btw, nice sig w/ the v6p sticker
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:03 PM   #7

trust me
you won't learn to live w/ it
i thought i'd let it slide, now it's pissing me off day after day
and it gets bad when your car starts to react funny
once i start getting more hours at work, that's the first thing i'm changing
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:10 PM   #8
the Lost Sol

Send a message via AIM to KhanhCord
hmm my needle doesnt bounce except when i brake. it drops to 1k and then bounces to almost 2k then back to 1k. And when i accelerate my needle doesnt go up smoothly, instead its like a clock, tick tick tick (no ticking noise BTW)
KhanhCord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:06 PM   #9
bryan <3's bomex

Quote:
my needles gettin worser but i can live with it lol.

but yeah mastadulog, let us know how that baby goes. remember take pics because i need it when i work on mine.

btw, nice sig w/ the v6p sticker
thanks. i think the only real problem im gonna have is figuring out where to mount it. i bought the bracket so im thinking drilling a couple holes in the battery holder and screw it on there.
photos:

myspace:

hincity:
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:08 PM   #10
bryan <3's bomex

Quote:
Originally posted by DaRude1
trust me
you won't learn to live w/ it
i thought i'd let it slide, now it's pissing me off day after day
and it gets bad when your car starts to react funny
once i start getting more hours at work, that's the first thing i'm changing
what kind of symptoms are you getting? i dont think ive reached that level yet, but it scares the **** out of me knowing it could possibly go at any moment
photos:

myspace:

hincity:
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:46 PM   #11

bad timing
i'll be on the freeway and you can feel and hear the car jerk and make noises that could be compared to constantly tapping the gas pedal w/ your foot, it's not fun, it's annoying
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:50 PM   #12
the Lost Sol

OMFG!!! that is wut exactly going on w/ my car. not only it does that on freeway but local 2. jerks every freaking time i tap the freaking break. pissing the F%^$%^$%$^%$%^$%^$^%$ off
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #13
bryan <3's bomex

the jerk thing while braking, i think thats normal because the car is downshifting
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #14
the Lost Sol

nope not while braking.
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #15
bryan <3's bomex

well here she is, installed and ready to go. i was trying to do it myself but couldnt figure out which wire goes where and i didnt have any flat pins on hand so i just took it to a shop and drooled at the turbo civics on the lifts. my battery also died on my way home so im stuck at home for the day, boooooooo!

Old May 7th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #16
bryan <3's bomex

i forgot to add, throttle response is alot better than normal. i barely have to press it to get up to speed
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #17
Q

lookin great! is it an exact replacement? and how much was the coil and where? how about installation cost, it shouldn't be alot
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #18
bryan <3's bomex

i bought the coil for 30 off summit racing and make sure to buy the bracket and the coil wire, it'll give you alot more options in terms of mounting. the guys charged me 70 for the install, which is their hourly rate. they gave me a good deal since it actually took a couple of hours.
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #19

what exactly did u install?
Robs97accordv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #20

see the red thing under the intake that says msd?
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #21

and what does that do?
Robs97accordv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #22

The ignition coil is the component in the ignition system that turns low voltage into high voltage to fire the spark plugs. When 12-volts passes through the coil's primary windings, it creates a strong magnetic field. Then when the current is shut off (by the ignition module or the opening of the contact points in older ignition systems), the magnetic field causes a surge of high voltage (as much as 40,000 volts) in the coil's secondary windings. The high voltage passes to the distributor, then on to the spark plugs where it jumps the plug gap and fires the plugs
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:14 AM   #23
bryan <3's bomex

nice explanation darude!

if you need to know anything else check out howstuffworks.com, very informative
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #24

how does a bad coil make your tach jumps?

Mastadog, how much did your msd coil cost? Mine went out and I bought a stock thinking that there is no msd coil for our car.
accordRedliner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #25
bryan <3's bomex

Quote:
Originally posted by accordRedliner
how does a bad coil make your tach jumps?

Mastadog, how much did your msd coil cost? Mine went out and I bought a stock thinking that there is no msd coil for our car.
the coil itself cost 30 dollars. i couldve bought an oem coil for 80 dollars and installed it myself, but why buy another crappy oem part when i can get a better one isntalled for only 30 dollars more. msd doesnt make a specific one for our cars, but they make universal ones. they dont make a coil specific for ouri know the tach wire is connected to the coil because the guys installing my new coil couldnt get the tach to operate at first. im guessing when the coil isnt producing as much electricity as it should the tach dies out, and when you see the tach jump, its when the amount of electricity the coil is putting out isnt constant.
photos:

myspace:

hincity:
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:06 AM   #26
Q

ok i see three wires: the coil wire, the tach wire, and then what's the other one?

so basically i need this (picture):

Last edited by accord6; May 14th, 2004 at 12:09 AM..
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:11 AM   #27
bryan <3's bomex

Quote:
ok i see three wires: the coil wire, the tach wire, and then what's the other one?

so basically i need this (picture):
yea, just make sure the part number is 8202 if you want a blaster 2. if you look at the stock connector there are 4 wires going into it. 2 of them are connected to the the ground side of the coil and 2 of them are connected to the other side. i'm not sure where goes where b/c its all taped up where they connected everything. dont forget the bracket and the coil wire!!!!
photos:

myspace:

hincity:
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #28
bryan <3's bomex

i forgot, theres 2 ways you can do this. you can cut out the stock connector and solder some wires onto those and run it into the coil. or you can run flat pins from the connector into some wires and run that to the coil, then tape it up
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #29

my car has the same problem
so i need to get an ignition coil?

http://www.msdignition.com/ -> products -> automotive -> coils -> msd blaster coil ???
LeafBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:50 PM   #30

i went to tasauto.com to look for the part, found it and it gave this summary

Professional race engine builders have known for a long time that the only way to produce maximum horsepower from a Honda or Acura engine is to get rid of the weak coil mounted inside the cap. The MSD Blaster 2 external coil is the perfect high output replacement for the weak stock coil. For 4cyl V-TEC applications, check out the MSD modified distributor caps, since they are specially constructed to allow the use of an external coil such as an MSD Blaster Series Coil.

are you guys sure its a universal part?
LeafBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in