2nd to 1st gear kickdown at part throttle - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #1
Large Member

2nd to 1st gear kickdown at part throttle

Hey everybody,

This has most likely been discussed before so I apologize in advance.

Has anyone experienced the problem of their 5th Gen V6 kicking down to first gear from second when it really isn't necessary? I'm talking very light throttle, maybe 10% when rolling at about 5-8 miles per hour. If so, has anyone been able to remedy the problem? Drives me nuts!!
Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #2
bryan <3's bomex

hey youre talkin about when your coastin at low speeds and the car just kinda jerks forward right? yea, i think all of us know about that!
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #3
Large Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mastadulog
hey youre talkin about when your coastin at low speeds and the car just kinda jerks forward right? yea, i think all of us know about that!
Not exactly. This is when I'm applying throttle but such a small amount that the car shouldn't need to kick down a gear to speed up. I'm just cruising slowly trying to pick up speed very gently and the car suddenly kicks down to first from second. Its annoying because it is a jerking feeling and it raises the rpm by about a thousand. I've actually had a couple people rev at me thinking I was revving at them, like I wanted to race. Our cars have enough torque in second to pick up speed without kicking down, know what I mean? its not a big deal, just annoying.

My car does what yours does too when I'm cruising at low speed. It sometimes shifts down to first abruptly. Not always though. I guess this is why people are always complaining about the 5th gen transmission.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:56 PM   #4
Q

I think i know. Its like a little jerk when you ease on the gas. If the pedal is pressed lightly in second gear, it'll shifts back into first. its annoying alright!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
accord6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Large Member

Quote:
Originally posted by accord6
I think i know. Its like a little jerk when you ease on the gas. If the pedal is pressed lightly in second gear, it'll shifts back into first. its annoying alright!
That's exactly it, accord6! Drives me nuts. If my car was completely stock with no exhaust or intake, it wouldn't bother me nearly as much. Every time it happens and someone is beside me, they look at me like, " ohhh, so you wanna go, eh?"

I wish I was some sort of electronics guru and could tap into the ECU and change the percentage of throttle necessary for the tranny to kick down.

Last edited by Gallo; June 2nd, 2004 at 04:17 PM..
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:31 PM   #6
bryan <3's bomex

when i do a level 10 upgrade ill ask them if they can work with that
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:23 PM   #7

engine braking?
LeafBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:39 AM   #8
Large Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mastadulog
when i do a level 10 upgrade ill ask them if they can work with that
That would be cool, Masta. Just ask them what it would cost to do some code manipulation within the ECU. I'll bet I'm not the only one who would like a smoother, more stout tranny without having to do a replacement.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:33 PM   #9

What is a level 10 upgrade? I know that is probably retarted to ask but I have no clue, thanks!
Soelknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 3rd, 2004, 02:16 PM   #10
Large Member

Masta can correct me on this but I believe Level 10 is a company that specializes in tranny upgrades, beefing them up and such.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:42 PM   #11

visit level10.com
Robs97accordv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 4th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #12

Sweet I am lookin right now, thanks!
Soelknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in