Check Engine Light on???? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #1

Check Engine Light on????

I recently washed the engine bay of my car and I made sure i covered anything that could be damadged by the water with plastic bags. Yet when I went to start my car to evaporate the water off the engine. My car would not start and it almost seemed I wasnt either getting spark or wasnt getting enough gas to the engine. I was able to then get it to start by pushing the gas in while i turned the ignition but as soon as i took my foot off the pedal the rpms instantly droped and killed the car. I procedded with waiting a good 10-15 min b4 i tried starting it again. I was able to start the car but had to keep the rpms up so it would not die on me again. I was worried about letting off the gas so i quickly moved the car to Neutral and then waited a while(while pressing the gas to keep rpm's up) and then put it into drive and took off. Luckly the Wash area is just no less then a mile from my house so i ended up sitting at one stop light and thats it but as soon as i got my car home i put it in neutral to see if it was going to die on me again and it did not it ideled perfectly fine and sounded like it did b4 this incedent. Ever since the Check engine light has been on and right now I dont have the 80$ to waste if they find nothing is wrong and I am worried about taking my car to the same dealer in my home town b/c they have repetedly not given me the best service and I can just see them saying something is wrong with a part but it turning out they are just trying to get more money out of me.

Has this happened to anyone here and what do you recomend I do about the whole Check engine light. I know I will be going in to have them diagnose the problem in a week after finals are finished but Im not sure what to expect and also what to look for about them trying to pull a fast one on me.

I know my car and cars in general and dont think they will be able to get some Bull**** money out of me but I seriously need to figure out what is up with this CEL.

Thanks!
Powder11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Q

i washed my engine bay at home and when i started the engine (after 30 mins for drying) it started to shake and the check engine light went on. i unplugged the battery and waited the whole afternoon to let it dry. when i started it up again, the shaking stopped and everything was fine. i think water went into the spark plug areas and other parts of the engine.
accord6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord6
i washed my engine bay at home and when i started the engine (after 30 mins for drying) it started to shake and the check engine light went on. i unplugged the battery and waited the whole afternoon to let it dry. when i started it up again, the shaking stopped and everything was fine. i think water went into the spark plug areas and other parts of the engine.
I tried reseting the ECU by taking out the fuse for about 10 min. But the Check Engine light is still on.

How long did you unhook your battery and what did you do just unhook it and let it sit??

Old May 5th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #4
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder11
I recently washed the engine bay of my car and I made sure i covered anything that could be damadged by the water with plastic bags.

Thanks!
Ok, so what exactly did you cover before you washed your engine bay? Lots of electronics under the hood that can't take being sprayed with water very well.
Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #5
Q

whole afternoon - 2-3 hrs because water might have gone into some of the electronics as Gallo mentioned
accord6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo
Ok, so what exactly did you cover before you washed your engine bay? Lots of electronics under the hood that can't take being sprayed with water very well.
Atenator.....Distributor cap......ECU......and the fuse boxes in the upper left corner.
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #7
bryan <3's bomex

is that all you have to cover? what about the battery, do you just yank it off?
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #8
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

Send a message via MSN to cowgodv6
cover alternator - cap - rotor - fuse box - battery - air intake - filter - wiring as much as possible

then blast away the dirt ...
cowgodv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #9

I did not cover the battery as its just one spray of my compressor and its fine(i take a little one with me when i go to wash the car). It helps to get dirt from between all the rubber around the windows.

Im also guessing at the moment that I might have gotten some water inside the engine where the sprak plugs go. I think this b/c i was next to some ass hole in a cav. and his ass almost hit me by coming in my lane b/c he cant control his car. My car doesnt seem like all cylinders are fireing. Should I take it in and hope thats it???
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #10
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder11
Im also guessing at the moment that I might have gotten some water inside the engine where the sprak plugs go. I think this b/c i was next to some ass hole in a cav. and his ass almost hit me by coming in my lane b/c he cant control his car. My car doesnt seem like all cylinders are fireing. Should I take it in and hope thats it???
Ummm, ok I'm lost. How does someone coming into your lane and almost hitting you cause water to end up in your engine where your spark plugs go? I know I'm missing something here.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo
Ummm, ok I'm lost. How does someone coming into your lane and almost hitting you cause water to end up in your engine where your spark plugs go? I know I'm missing something here.
I didnt say anything about that causing me to get water in my spark plugs. By that happening I notice my car just didnt feel like it had as much power which brought me to the thought that maybe one of my spark plugs is bad from water getting into it when i washed my engine bay.

If you read my very first post thats what this is all about I just had noticed that my car seemed slower then usual and maybe thats b/c one of my cylinders is nit firing.
Old May 6th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #12
Large Member

I would guess you got water under the distributor cap rather than under the spark plug wire boot. The boots should be water tight. That's most likely why your engine seems to be rough. I've had the same thing happen to me and it turned out to be water in the cap. Blow it out really well with your compressor and see if that helps.
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #13

If you think its mis fireing do a cilinder ballence test to find out which one it is. with the engine running, remove and replace each spark plug wire untel you find one that doesent change the engine rpm any. If it is firing on that cilinder the rpm will drop. (try not to touch any other part of the vehicle when doing this. Just the wire. If you do it right you wont get shocked.
97accord-ex-v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #14

I let my car sit with the battery un connected all sat morning while i did some work in our back yard(laying a brick patio). The Check engine light is still on and i also changed all the spark plugs and it feels exactly the same as it did b4. Im just gonna wait through this week of HELL( finals week for me ) and then after that look at trying to get someone to hook it up to a computer and see what the hell is up. One thing is Im not going to pay 80$ just for them to reset the Check Engine light at my Honda Dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in