My car choices when to start and when not to! Does yours? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #1

Angry My car choices when to start and when not to! Does yours?

So I had my timing belt and water pump and all the drive belts replaced at a local shop (I almost wonder if they accidently did something). An arm and a leg later I go to start my car one day after that at work and it wont start. So I tried starting it again and it did nothing no crank noise, nothing. The lights came on when in Acc mode and then off when I put the key in the start position. Did that a couple of times and it started right up. I thought to myself, that is odd... So I waited another week or so to see if maybe I was just crazy after my ten hour shifts. I wasn't crazy because today when I got off of work same darn thing. But this time it took longer to start up, I didn't think it would make it. My clock was all off and my radio station presets where all messed up. Anyone ever had this happen before?

All the battery connections are good and the battery is pretty darn new. I suspect starter or maybe even something with the cap and rotor but I don't have a clue since it is so random. It is probably not good for me to be cranking it multiple times either I would assume.

Crappy part is I just ordered an Eibach Pro-Kit and some GR-2's. Wont look to nice if the car doesn't start... Any suggestions are appreciated!
Soelknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #2

i had an issue sorta like that on mine, some days it would take several tries and other days it would fire right up, replaced the starter and havnt had a problem since.
ethlar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #3

I will look into the starter, thanks for the reply.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Old August 8th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #4

Well it doesn't work at all now...
Everytime I go to start it it will not start and then about 20-30 times later it will.

I did notice something funky though about the security light which is mounted on my dash, it will just blink when I start the car. It is the generic honda alarm... I dunno it was just a thought that maybe that is killing it because it thinks I am jackin my own car.

Hmmm....
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #5

if it were the security system i dont think that after 20-30 tries it just decides you can have the car. does the starter click but not crank or is it just silence
ethlar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #6

Sounds like a starter to me. Had a problem like that with a maxima. And what it ended up being was inside the starter there are two copper plates that when the starter is engaged the rod drops and hits these plates. If the plate is groved the rod has to be in the excact right spot. You need to get your starter rebuilt.
ruarksaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

It is dead silence. No click and no turn over.

I changed my cap and rotor last night because it was due to be changed. Started up great this morning but I doubt this will keep until I get off work in like 10 hours. The bad part is I tightened the darn bolt that held the rotor in place and the head fell off. So I had a buddy of mine drill it out and it is out but the rotor wiggles a bit more than normal. I hope I didn't hose the hole... Dang! I am sure it is a darn fortune getting that rod that sticks out of the engine replaced, huh?! Oh well that is what I get for doing stuff myself.
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #8

Well fellas thanks for the suggestions. Turns out this whole time it was the cap and rotar. Starts every time now. Darn cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in