Constant ticking - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #1

Constant ticking

I have a constant ticking sound when my engine is ideling. What do you guys recommend do I need to retime the valves or am I completly wrong on my analysis.

If it is that or something else please let me know if its something i will need fixed soon or imediatly.

Thanks in advance
Powder11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #2

if it's not a valve tap it's probably main bearings, check to see if the noise is louder at the top or bottom of the engine, if the noise is coming from the top it's probably the valves, if it's comin from the bottom it's probably the main bearings
soldierdude262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #3

Mine does that too. I think it's comming from some where arround cilinder number 2. Sounds to me like excessive free play on the valves. Mine isnt sharp sound very suddel. I think the only way to adjust valves is to replace pices. I havnt messed with honda much, but I think they might be like old dodge engines that kinda adjsut themselves. I wish it was like chevy where u could crank the bolt down a little. Mine has almost 85K on it. How many does yours have?
97accord-ex-v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 8th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97accord-ex-v6
Mine does that too. I think it's comming from some where arround cilinder number 2. Sounds to me like excessive free play on the valves. Mine isnt sharp sound very suddel. I think the only way to adjust valves is to replace pices. I havnt messed with honda much, but I think they might be like old dodge engines that kinda adjsut themselves. I wish it was like chevy where u could crank the bolt down a little. Mine has almost 85K on it. How many does yours have?
I have 154,000 and going. Its alot but the car has treated me well since I was 16 when my mom handed it down to me(she got it new in 96). I am going to call and see how much the dealer wants to deal with the problem and then go from there. Hopefully its nothing to serious and I dont have to shell out a bunch of money right away.
Powder11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #5
i haz vtec

prehaps a valve adjustment, does the ticking get louder when the engine is cold?
zany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder11
I have 154,000 and going. Its alot but the car has treated me well since I was 16 when my mom handed it down to me(she got it new in 96). I am going to call and see how much the dealer wants to deal with the problem and then go from there. Hopefully its nothing to serious and I dont have to shell out a bunch of money right away.
Mine occasionally has the clicking noise too. Its valves in mine. Seems to go away once my engine is fully warm. In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about it unless its affecting the performance of your car or hurting gas mileage. An engine with 154K miles is going to make noises a new engine didn't. The dealer will rape you on something like this so I would think twice before handing your baby to them. Just my two cents.
Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #7

The valve lash in the C27a is self adjusting according to Haynes and Chilton. In other words there is nothing you can do other than replace valve train componants. Or use oil additives like Lucas or other known brands to quiet the ticking sounds. My car does it as well but goes away after the engine is completely warmed up.
roosplash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #8
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosplash
. Or use oil additives like Lucas or other known brands to quiet the ticking sounds.
Good point, roo. A couple times I've noticed my car was about a quart of oil low and the sound was more pronounced. Make sure your topped off and change your oil regularly with something of quality.
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo
Good point, roo. A couple times I've noticed my car was about a quart of oil low and the sound was more pronounced. Make sure your topped off and change your oil regularly with something of quality.
The sound will be more prevelant during cold start ups cause of the lack of lubrication at the top of the engine. Using oil additives like Lucas oil treatment quiets the tapping noises cause the additive adheares to the valvetrain componants as well as cam lobes crank bearings etc. to protect during cold starts.
roosplash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #10
i haz vtec

you might find this thread useful.
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=65594
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #11
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zany
Never heard of Auto-RX. Anyone?
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #12
i haz vtec

if you search for it, there is a guy who used it and took pictures of the engine during the treatment. i personally have never tried it. when I had ticking on my c25, i put seafoam into the crankcase and its definately made it quiter. i also went to 5w30 oil
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #13

seafoam your car.. then start using additives every oilchange.

My car runs quieter now. Its kinda funny. Its more quiet than my friends 2005 Scion XB
4mytoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #14
i haz vtec

apparently the ticking on the 05 toyotas is the fuel injectors.. i guess time will tell
Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:23 PM   #15

fuel injectors may cause ticking noises especially when they are older. I have a I4 and that things sounds like a sewing machine until it warms up and I have the valves adjusted at the required intervils
YeuEmMaiMai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in