MSD BLASTER wiring help! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #1

MSD BLASTER wiring help!

Ok, I was doing a little reading on the oem ignition coil. I read that this resister was put in there to protect somthing in the event of a short in the tach line to ground. I was going to put in a blaster coil, so I was wondering if i could install an inline fuse into the circut. And am I correct in assuming this is how u wire it up?

1) The thick Black/Yellow stripe & Yellow wire go to the +positive terminal on the new coil
2) Blue & Green wire go to the -negative terminal on the new coil.

Also will this new coil draw too much power from the ignitor? I really dont wanna burn that up.

Which wires are for the tach?

Any help would be appriceated as I feel honda put this resister in there for a reason.

Last edited by 97accord-ex-v6; November 15th, 2005 at 05:28 PM..
97accord-ex-v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97accord-ex-v6
Ok, I was doing a little reading on the oem ignition coil. I read that this resister was put in there to protect somthing in the event of a short in the tach line to ground. I was going to put in a blaster coil, so I was wondering if i could install an inline fuse into the circut. And am I correct in assuming this is how u wire it up?

1) The thick Black/Yellow stripe & Yellow wire go to the +positive terminal on the new coil
2) Blue & Green wire go to the -negative terminal on the new coil.

Also will this new coil draw too much power from the ignitor? I really dont wanna burn that up.

Which wires are for the tach?

Any help would be appriceated as I feel honda put this resister in there for a reason.
Yes the wiring is correct. You shouldnt need to use an inline fuse nor a resistor. As fas as I know no one on this board for the 5th gen has done so, and havent suffered any ill effects from not doing so. But to cover my @ss I have to tell you to do what you think is best. The tach wire is the blue or green wire that goes to the negative post.

Last edited by roosplash; November 16th, 2005 at 06:48 PM..
roosplash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #3

it's doubtful that you'll ever need it but if it makes u feel safe go for the inline fuse, it couldnt hurt to have it
soldierdude262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 25th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #4

Aite thanks all!
97accord-ex-v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #5

Ok to clarify things....I need to take the + on the battery off first and put it on last?

Sinse I will be selling my car in a few months with this effect anyone from wanting to buy it as I have something that is not stock and they might freek out about that. Just something I thought of. Although if I found another enthusiast im sure they would not care but someone that doesnt know much about cars might freek out i guess.

And how much is a stock coil?
Powder11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #6

As long as the install is clean there shouldnt be much any concern from a new buyer, enthusiast or not. Last I checked OEM coil packs were between $89- $120
roosplash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosplash
As long as the install is clean there shouldnt be much any concern from a new buyer, enthusiast or not. Last I checked OEM coil packs were between $89- $120
Yeah ive been thinking the same but my father is still his stubburn self. And damn thats a rip off what they want for that little box.

And ROOSPLASH i sent you a PM about a bracket but I will have to get back to you depending on what route I go.

And one worry I have is how do I take off the distriputer cap withought messing something up. Is there anything I need to make sure i dont do when i remove the top.
Powder11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #8
Formerly VTEC-v6!

When you disconnect your battery, take off the negative terminal FIRST. It will save you a heart attack and alot of sparks when the positive lead accidentally lands on some other metal
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in