New Engine - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #1

New Engine

So I have been going on and on with this motor thing and I believe it is not so much valve taping as it is the main bearings or something dealing with the cam shaft being out of whack. So I have been thinking.

1. Sell the Honda and get a new Civic
2. Keeping the Honda and getting a 6k loan to pay off a new engine and basic stuff that will need replaced while in there.

I have spent outragous amounts on this car in the last month( upper radiator hose blew 150$, New brake pads(including labor) 300$, and now I lost a control arm bushing that is going to be 125$ to replace all 8 in the front. Well really Im trying to see what you guys think. Get something else or keep my joy and make it new again?

The other thing is:

1. Do I rebuild the engine in my car now and see the trans. fail on me in 50k miles?

2. Get a whole new rebuilt engine on a crate with transmission or crate motor and swap t or o manual with 89 legend trans.

http://www.powerpro2000.com/lb_honda.htm

V6

95-97

Accord, C27A4, SOHC, 24 Valve

$3,199

$240
Powder11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #2
import tuner and rn

150 for upper radiator hose ? y so much
eolife22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eolife22
150 for upper radiator hose ? y so much
Had to replace fluids get the part and then took it to the shop to have them preasure check the cooling system.

Old December 27th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #4
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

WTF, you can get perfectly good used and working J30A1 and VQ30 engines for around $600. How do you figure $6k? You don't need a "brand spanking new" rebuilt engine with tranny or anything. That's a ripoff. I suppose they could be $3k since they're pretty rare, but sheesh. Anyways, I would not put that much money into the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #5

honestly.. our cars are expensive to fix up in the first place. Everything will be expensive. We didnt get too much recognition.

In my opinion... be like me.. get a civic... if you really think about it. you get a light car, costs less, costs less to fix up, WAY BETTER GAS MILEAGE and they will always be faster when modified. I loved my accord before it was stolen. But I always knew that it was an expensive car.

If your car is costing you money like that you better do something before it costs you even more just to put it back to stock.

Another vehicle is more cost efficient. Or if you dont want to leave the Accord Family, just get a 98 and up. Those V6's and the 4cyl's have way more parts than the 5th gen.
4mytoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #6

$300 FOR BRAKE PADS!?!?!?!?!?!? Even if it is including labor that's still alot. And even if you have to change an upper radiator hose w/ fluids and pressure check it's still a lot as well.
kaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #7

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos
$300 FOR BRAKE PADS!?!?!?!?!?!? Even if it is including labor that's still alot. And even if you have to change an upper radiator hose w/ fluids and pressure check it's still a lot as well.
Yes it is and it would have been even more if I had the dealer do it. Hondac the shop I use charged 145 for the front and for the back with parts and labor which was about 75-100 less then what the dealer wanted for the job.

But please let me know what you guys think about going the rebuild/crate engine or getting a new civic/used Si????
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #8

I personally think the best bet would be getting the Civic. Just due to the fact that you'll be getting charged so much for the engine.
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #9

Ok well I go in on friday morning for my stabelizer bushings to be replaced at the dealer for 138$. I am going to talk to the head technition and see whether Honda personally is able to have a new engine C27A built and around how much it would cost. And then it comes to whether I hope the trans in my car right now is going to hold up to the new engine or if I need a new one or a swap.

Im thinking an engine trans and basic things that need to be changed such as exhaust and suspension that it would be around 6k.

Where if I traded in my car or sold it I might get between 3000-5000 depending on who wants it. So lets say the Civic is around 11k as it has good miles and is in good mechanical and exterior condiition. So with trade in and buying the civic I would spend about 9k on the car.

6k and gambling whether things will hold up or the 9k and hope the civic is not going to give me problems
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #10

dude get an av6 man..trust it
Ayankees27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #11
bryan <3's bomex

you can find a c27 cheap on ebay, just look around
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #12

Well the verdict has come in. I went today for the stabelizer bushings to be replaced and had them do a 55 point inspection. Heres the list of whats wrong.

CV Boots cracked and one is leaking $500
Timing belt service $950
Need 105k service $1147
Need Power steering and fuel system flushed $300

And my engine knock is a worn out rod bearing so who knows how much that would be to fix. Damn Im just ****ing screwed. I either hope that I can find a good used car soon or hope I dont have my timing belt brake and then have a sitting car with a blown engine. Damn!!!! Im just in such a bind with my parents being at my mercy and not able to just get something done. Im most likely gonna have to wait for a few weeks to a month and hope nothing happens to my car in that time so Im not screwed.

Ok well enough of this venting I think I will be getting a new Civic or Tiburon or take over payments on my moms 02' 1.8T Passat. Well thanks for everything guys and wish me luck.
Old December 30th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #13

Best of luck with everything man......I've been in situations like yours in the past. Just stick it through. Just a heads up though, if you have the time you can do some of those things yourself. Timing belt, power steering and fuel system flush, and CV boots just need time to do. If you got a weekend to spare to dedicate to just that and knock it all out. And for the 105k service pick up Chilton's or Haynes manual and it tells you exactly what should be done for 105k service. If you don't then I'll look for mine and post it up for you.
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:27 AM   #14
bryan <3's bomex

950 for a timing belt? this place sounds like a ripoff man, i even got mine done at the stealership for cheaper than that
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastadulog
950 for a timing belt? this place sounds like a ripoff man, i even got mine done at the stealership for cheaper than that
The guy I talked to wasnt to extreamly informative. It seemed to me he was coming up with these prices off the top of his head so Im not totally possitive on it all. But what is prolly gonna happen is I will be sitting on the car for a bit and getting something else. Im at the mercy of things and I would love to fix these things and keep the car but I dont know if it will be worth the time or money as the main concern is this worn out rod bearing. Prolly caused by me at one time not checking the oil level often enough and it droped close to 2 quarts of oil low
. Im just dont think after figuring things out that by me fixing everything that it will benifit me much at all as the car is only going to get worth less as more miles are put on it.

Hopefully gonna find someone that needs a project car or just a car and hope they dont question things and just take it off my hands for around 3200.
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM   #16

Ive never torn into the c27, but mabe if you do the timing belt your self, when its all appart, you could just drop the crank and replace the bearings. I dont know how complicated it is to unbolt the torque converder or anything but its jsut a sugestion, being they both need to be removed to get the crank out. Mabe then u could sell the car and it wouldnt knock as bad or at all. Any way just a sugestion.
97accord-ex-v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:49 AM   #17

Would it mabe be possible for you to record the ticking noise and post it so we could hear it?
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:05 AM   #18

I have a 95 Accord V6 and I love my car. Yes I have spent alot of money and time on it. I have replace the suspension, timing belt, exhaust system, starter, bearings, CV boots, complete tune up, fluid filled and flush and air intake. I have never change the alternator and tanny becuase they are still good. I have 82K miles on it and no problems. I hope I get to keep it another 100K miles. I say keep your ACCORD!!!
Som95ACCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:09 AM   #19

Yah, my shocks are starting to go. There leaking a littlle bit. Arg. Other than that i have not had one problem with the car. even with all my modding. Well I did have a misfire which I fixed my slapping the computer arround a little. I think it has a loose joint in it which i need to re solder. Some time. but it works great now.

Has 86K on it
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:59 PM   #20
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

Send a message via MSN to cowgodv6
I'm a perfect example of the accord fanatic
sounds like u need a good speech in accordyizm
"a civic is still a civic"
a quote that will urk u forever if u plan on scraping the plans with the accord
I've spent over 6000$ on my accord in the past year and a half
plus I have my wife's civic to modify as well

two completely different cars and different characteristics
sorry to sound so rough, but someone has to tell u man !!

now first off, change u're mechanic - he's a scammer
yes, you do have some repairs to do, face it, the car is 10 + years old
u're pricing better include a lap dance, an incredible BJ and a sit in for a 3 way lez marathon or else ... u're getting screwed hardcore

up here in canada a timing belt service, which will include changing all the 10+ items on the list costs 600 $ CDN with the labour at a honda dealer

the stabalizer bushings I bought mine @ autozone for 15$ ( when I headed into the states )

CV boots are 120$ rebuilt and 50$ a side to install

a rebuilt engine will cost u over 1000$ since u have damage to it, suggest calling around for a C27 in u're area and swapping her, then having a SMART mechanic, not yours open the engine up and check on all the internals

u can get an automatic tranny on ebay for 300-350$

PS and fuel system flush can be done @ u're local wal-mart for like 100$ total

I think u're listening to u're parents too much about servicing the car @ the mechanic u're doing to ... honestly man look around !! u're get a better deal on labour, u're getting charged more like BMW pricing the honda pricing

Last edited by cowgodv6; January 1st, 2006 at 04:11 PM..
cowgodv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:19 PM   #21

Drop in a j30 and the trans will handle it just fine. I think you have to piggypack the ECU to get it to work right though.......

I have a 1994 LX and I have yet to replace anything other than brakes, exhaust, t-belt and tires and I am at 143K and this car is a salvage title (one too many accidents) I have had it since 87K
YeuEmMaiMai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #22

Offered 3500 for it today......still trying to decide what to do. Should I take the 3500 and live without a car for a while? Although then I cant get to work......do you think I could get that much in like 2 months?
Old January 11th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #23

I wouldnt get a Passat if i were you..VW is known for their crappy reliability. Especially the Jettas, they break every 2minutes. So maybe your best bet is the Tiburon V6 GT. Im sure thats guna be affordable kuz its hyundai, and its very reliable, looks pretty good and it probably still has warranty if u get it used. Dont struggle with your car if its got so much problems with it, its so not worth your time and money. You are better off buying a decent used car (2-3 years old) or a brand new car (at least you wont be putting $$into it for maintance)
blackhawk411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
Drop in a j30 and the trans will handle it just fine. I think you have to piggypack the ECU to get it to work right though.......
WTH?? you dont need an ecu to make it work, you need a 6th or 7th gen accord
soldierdude262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai

I have a 1994 LX and I have yet to replace anything other than brakes, exhaust, t-belt and tires and I am at 143K and this car is a salvage title (one too many accidents) I have had it since 87K
I would have to move motor mounts and all that stuff. Not a good idea if im looking to get some money out of it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk411
I wouldnt get a Passat if i were you..VW is known for their crappy reliability. Especially the Jettas, they break every 2minutes. So maybe your best bet is the Tiburon V6 GT. Im sure thats guna be affordable kuz its hyundai, and its very reliable, looks pretty good and it probably still has warranty if u get it used. Dont struggle with your car if its got so much problems with it, its so not worth your time and money. You are better off buying a decent used car (2-3 years old) or a brand new car (at least you wont be putting $$into it for maintance)
Your right about not wanting to spend anymore time or money on this V6. And I think im able to make it last for a few more months. And my moms Passat will be up on its lease in may. I will be getting a 02' 1.8T Passat with about 30,000 miles for around $10k after dealer buy back. So I cant pass that up at all. Plus it will still have its factory warranty on it so I dont need to worry about reliability for a while. And so far this car has been no problem other then a few rattles in the dash and the cat went bad and is being replaced under warranty. If the Honda dies on me b4 may I will just keep it for a project in a few years after college when I will have the time and money to make it a dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in