Tach needle jumping again - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to mobettabin
Tach needle jumping again

Hows it goin ppl? A little over a year ago, i had a problem with my tach needle going crazy and revvin on its own. I posted the problem, heard it may be the ignition coil, and had it replaced. Things went back to normal. Today, i drove to school (night class), parked my car in the garage, put it in park, and all of a sudden.......the tach needle starts goin crazy. not as crazy as it once used to go, but crazy enough to notice. I replaced the ignition coil a little over a year ago, and its happening again?? Is that normal? I put in a stock ignition coil. Should i replace it with a MSD blaster coil? Its irritating because i'm gettin alot of work done to my car as of late, and this just adds to the ever-growin pile of things that need to be taken care of. Any Suggestions? Comments?
mobettabin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #2
bryan <3's bomex

try another ignition coil. the stock coil is weak
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

Send a message via MSN to cowgodv6
msd / accel / mallory / summit etc ...
they all make aftermarket coils that perform far better then a jobber replacement or oem coil

they are worth the investment and speak to roooooosplash about a bracket - or make u're own like i did
cowgodv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 12th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #4

I replace my OEM ignition coil a year ago, so far no ploblems.
Som95ACCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #5

yeah pick up an msd and a bracket from roospalsh, a couple people (including me) posted pics of the coil w/ his bracket, it works real nice.
soldierdude262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #6
bryan <3's bomex

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierdude262
yeah pick up an msd and a bracket from roospalsh, a couple people (including me) posted pics of the coil w/ his bracket, it works real nice.
hey, how did you manage to remove the lower bolts that hold the stock coil in place? im havin trouble w/ those
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #7
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

use an impack driver
or spray down the bolts with lub and leave it for 30 mins then come back to then
stuck bolts will happen to 10+ year old cars
Old January 21st, 2006, 12:03 PM   #8
the Lost Sol

Send a message via AIM to KhanhCord
my needle started to juump crazy a yr ago but it's getting better hahaa i havent changed shiet... whenever the needle starts to dance, i just let go of the gas hahaha .. guess i'm not doing a good job of taking care of my car
KhanhCord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #9

Ok well i just started having this problem the past week now. And at times my tach just sits at 0 RPM and does not even move. And it seems as soon as i get on the hwy its fine but after about 10-15 miles at the same speed about then it goes nuts. Im willing to try the ignition coil.

But really why is it that when the ignition coil goes bad that the tach jumps? How is the ignition coil even connected to the tachs movement? Does anyone have a good explination. Im beginning to think it might be a connection or my tach is going bad.
Powder11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #10

the ignition coil is connected to the tach cause thats how its reads the engine rpms. so when the coil's resistor goes bad its not reading the ignition signal anymore and thats why the needle starts jumping. i have a stock coil i bought brand new last year but i just pulled it out since i wanted the msd coil, it works fine and if you really dont want to go the aftermarket route im willing to part with it. keep us informed.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #11

OK so I went the route of getting a brand new coil 2 days ago for $132 with tax. But im hoping i will get that all back when i sell my car.

It took me about an hour to take it out and put the new one in. The top left bold was easy to get to with an extension and 10mm socket. The top right one was a ***** to get to. Took forever to loosen that thing. But best was was a small 10mm wrench. The front left was the same. Also something to watch is when you get it all off there are lil spacers that you dont want to loose. I droped one and it took me 10 min to find the damn thing.

Im installing new spark plugs and wires tomorrow morning when my car is not hot from driving in around. Thanks for all the help and hopefully things go well.

PS I really notice a difference with how smooth my car runs now. Much better then it was before
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #12
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

132 ?? damn bro that is expensive
did you get some booty with dat too ?
I'm guessing that u bought it from a Honda dealer and that it's an OEM coil
if you wanted to keep her stock, good decision, however just an FYI, @ summit racing, a msd blaster coil is like 25$ and the bracket another 3-4 $ and it will give u a much better spark
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #13
the Lost Sol

Send a message via AIM to KhanhCord
well dont 4get the shiiping also but its still quite cheap
KhanhCord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #14

yeah i know but msd is not stock and i will get the money back when i sell it most likely so im not to worried. I put in Bosch platinum 2 spark plugs this morning.

I contemplated for a long time about going that way but figured if i was someone buying the car i would be a little worried at what else they did with it if there was an aftermarket coil installed. But then i also see that it will produce a better spark then OEM but oh well its done with........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in