Ignition coil gone bad, jumping tach! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #1

Question Ignition coil gone bad, jumping tach!

My accord finally decided it would join the crowd. I have searched through the history of the "jumping tach needle" on the RPM guage. I think I am just confusing myself. I have little knowledge of the engine bay. What I gathered from my search was the Ignition Coil is the culprit. I also learned it is under the distributor cap. Seems like MSD Blaster Coil 2's are the ones to replace them with. I found a post on what colored wiring needs to go where. Lastly, I found out I really would like to give this a try to make my tach not jump, plus the added bonuses!

My questions are... Is this something I could get away with (DIY) knowing very little about my car's engine? Is it difficult to get to, I don't have a ton of specialty tools? Is there any step by step documents out their with pictures of the process? Do I need to upgrade the spark plugs and wires from stock (just replaced on the warranty work for the emissions) before I install the new coil or can I wait until after it is installed? Summit racing has a MSD blaster coil 2 (Part MSD-8202) for 34.88 plus shipping is this the correct one? Are the wires just normal wire or are they a special type of wire, if so were do you get the special type of wire?

Thats all I can think of right now! Thanks for expanding on this topic guys I appreciate it!
Soelknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to hightower6969
I have the msd ss coil which you can place anywhere and in any position. The msd blaster 2 coil, you should mount it in a vertical position. You don't need any new wires for the coil; although, others will tell you to get new ones so you won't have a problem at all. Depending on your mileage, you should change your distributor cap and also your spark plugs. If you recently change your plugs, you don't need to change them or upgrade. Look for the msd blaster thread on here and it will show you some diy and some pics. Mine is the ss coil which is different from all the others.
hightower6969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #3
Q

i would find a local pep boys to buy the blaster 2. i think i got mine for 29.99+tax.

parts i used: 14 gauge wire, ring terminals, crimper, 12" extension, Roosplash's bracket (very nice addition)

toughest part was removing the bolts on the stock coil. i busted my knuckes from using a 6" extension haha. other than that, it's pretty easy.

i'm still running stock wires and plugs and did the warranty extension.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
accord6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 10th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #4

You guys have convienced me I am going to do it. Wish me luck, I will take some photo's when it is done and take some photo's of other fun new stuff! I might have to hit Roosplash up for a bracket. Any last minutes suggestions before I get started and break somethin' that would be a great addition. Guys thanks for the fast reply!
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #5

np.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #6

Already ran into something I am questioning. The stock coil has the spark plug wire from the center of the cap down to the stock coil, this I got. The electrical plug for the stock coil is my question. This has a stock electrical plug connector on it I know it is ok to cut it and wire up all the wires individually to the coil but is this accurate? My assumtion would be when I cut the stock connector I will expose all the correct colored wires to then take over to my new coil... is that correct? Next thing... Can I just leave the stock coil in its place and then take the wires off of it and hook up my new one? Last thing for now I promise... What is the best way to mount, zip ties, buy the correct mounting bracket, mount it on the battery plastic, etc? Thanks guys you rock!
Old August 16th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #7

Nevermind guys, it is all installed and running good. Pictures of everything will be posted as soon as I get motivated to do so.
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #8
bryan <3's bomex

did u cut the stock wires?
photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

myspace:

hincity:
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #9

I did cut the stock wire connecter and left the old coil in place. Mounted the new one off the battery plastic with a universal mounting bracket.
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #10
bryan <3's bomex

cool, how do you like the new coil? you should get new plugs and wires when you get a chance
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #11

hi, this is the 2nd time i told you. stop hijacking threads and create a new one

-mastadulog

Last edited by mastadulog; August 17th, 2006 at 07:39 AM..
nomi640 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #12
i have vtech!

Send a message via AIM to AV6 Jester
i got the blaster SS coil. i need an extension. but i need an MSD 8.5 mm extension.... :/
where oh where.....
AV6 Jester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #13

jester: extension of what for the ss coil? Just clip your wires to the coil, you don't need an extension. If anything, go to msdignition.com. They would have the extension.
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #14

Mastadulog: I didn't really notice a difference in peformance but I am sure it does make some difference. I will upgrade the wires and plugs later down the road, maybe then I will feel the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in