Obd II - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2006, 11:15 AM   #1
SIR Bound....Slowly

Obd II

ive had my ABS light on for a long time now.. i think its a wheel sensor but im not sure cause the light comes on after hitting about 5 mph.. Anyways, i dont feel like paying outragous shop prices to pull the code so i was gonna get an OBD II code reader.. So im wondering where in our car is the plug in for it? i couldnt find anything in the manual.... Thanks
Thundagoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2007, 08:39 AM   #2

auto zone will do it for free... at least thats what they do in DC.
BossHogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM   #3
SIR Bound....Slowly

well i wanna get my own cause im tired of takin my car to places like auto zone or midas or even honda (ill only go to honda for major motor work like getting timing belts replaced) cause they think they can treat our cars like **** (quick launches, high revs, and speed racer test drives) just caused our cars are modified to some point. Also they are very careless (Like when i was getting my brakes fixed from midas they laid my Motegi MR7 rims with the Nitto extreme performance tires flat on the ground and had the nerve to stand on the rims while working on the brakes) and most of them are just plain retarded ( Guys at midas told me SRI's and CAI's damage your motor)..

I like working on my car myself anyways (havent been able to the past year cause ive been in an apartment) but now im in a house so i can work on it again. So id rather buy the meter and do it myself..For $140 i can get a meter that pulls the codes and diagnoses which is around the same price to get the same thing done at a shop.. even our pepboys here (Pepboys charges $1,100 to change the timing belt and water pump where as Honda charges $600 to change them) so i doubt autozone here will do it for free... Anyways i still need to know where the hook up is at..

Edit* lol sorry i thought pepboys was what you were talking about ( i know you said autozone as i commented on it) .. Yeah i dont know if our autozone will pull the codes and diagnose for free.. guess ill stop down there.. but i still dont like taking my car anywhere where they can touch it lol..

Last edited by Thundagoose; January 1st, 2007 at 02:59 PM..

Old January 1st, 2007, 03:50 PM   #4

there is a 2 pin blue connector under ur glove box u must jump to get the code . u count the number of blinks. even though u have an obdII system its premitive. at the the dealer they have a special tool called an a.l.b checker that checks the sensor. it sounds like a sensor problem.
juan gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to mobettabin
Dude I've been having the same ABS light problem the last few weeks. It comes on after a few seconds of driving. Not only is the ABS light on, the BRAKE light goes on too. Its weird though, because my brakes are working fine. So i don't know whats up. I'm going to take my car to the mechanic's shop. He doesn't charge me for an OBDII test. Hopefully its nothing serious because if it is, I've had enough. I don't feel like spending any more money on my accord.
mobettabin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM   #6
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

ABS has nothing to do with OBD-II. That's a separate system and I doubt you could reset it through an OBD-II scanner, which is for emissions and engine operational codes. Also, if the ABS light is on and the brakes seem fine that doesn't mean they really are fine. I'd definitely get it checked out ASAP.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:16 AM   #7
SIR Bound....Slowly

thanks stevtec i didnt know that.. ive been driving with that light on for a couple months now.. i think its a wheel sensor , but i cant afford to replace the ABS module if thats the problem.. but i dont think so.. guess ill have to go to honda and waste money
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

Send a message via MSN to cowgodv6
pull the ABS fuses under the hood and drive without ABS
I've been doing this for a while now and as long as you have a good brake setup and know your car, you're fine ...

I never liked ABS, and I swear disabling it has helped my gas mileage cause I downshift and rev-match more then having the ABS engage
92 Civic LX 4 door Winter Beater - Wife`s winter car (scrapped)
92 Accord EX - Winter Beater
cowgodv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #9
SIR Bound....Slowly

Hey mobettabin the only reason your "Brake" light should be on , on your dash is that your hand brake is up.. mine comes on when i pull the hand brake up.. maybe check that? And cowgod.. even if i pull the fuses wont my ABS light still be on on the dash?
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #10
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

yes the light would still be on, but your abs will not be

Disabling the ABS is a god think IMO cause you want to brake when u decide, not when a microcomputer pumps them at 10 times a nanosecond
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #11
SIR Bound....Slowly

well that light bugs the freakin crap outa me lol .. i could just pull the fuses and be done but i mainly want it fixed cause im tired of seeing that bright ass yellow light
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #12

you also want to disable ABS if you'd like for your car to go spinning out of control when one or multiple wheels locks on you uncontrollably in low traction situations, which was the entire reason for federally required ABS in the first place due to all of the accidents and deaths caused by that.
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #13
SIR Bound....Slowly

weeeeeeeee! lol jk.. Ive got my trusty new winter tires :P lol..
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #14
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
you also want to disable ABS if you'd like for your car to go spinning out of control when one or multiple wheels locks on you uncontrollably in low traction situations, which was the entire reason for federally required ABS in the first place due to all of the accidents and deaths caused by that.
thanks dad, damn you're on this forum as well
if you know your vehicle, you can control it. ABS will not help if you loose complete control - neither will AWD... I have seen more AWD in the ditches then anything.

I live in the most extreme conditions that N.A has to offer.
-40 in the winter and + 35 in the summer

I'd loose more stability when the ABS pumping would happen on ice and slushes roads.

I run studded tires here, I tried non studded and the same happened.
Some people just know who to handle their cars in certain conditions and don't need assistance

Last edited by cowgodv6; January 4th, 2007 at 11:35 AM..
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to mobettabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundagoose
Hey mobettabin the only reason your "Brake" light should be on , on your dash is that your hand brake is up.. mine comes on when i pull the hand brake up.. maybe check that? And cowgod.. even if i pull the fuses wont my ABS light still be on on the dash?

the hand brake was the FIRST thing i checked. I pulled it up and let it down to make sure it wasn't stuck anywhere too. i can't figure it out. i think there might be something wrong with my fuses because i'll hear something click and then the ABS light will go on. for a while there would be a click, then the headlights will turn off and so will the radio, then 2 seconds later both turn back on again. i dont know man, my car has been acting funny lately. i'm kinda broke right now because of school so i can't take my car in for repairs. good thing i take the train to classes.
mobettabin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobettabin
Dude I've been having the same ABS light problem the last few weeks. It comes on after a few seconds of driving. Not only is the ABS light on, the BRAKE light goes on too. Its weird though, because my brakes are working fine. So i don't know whats up. I'm going to take my car to the mechanic's shop. He doesn't charge me for an OBDII test. Hopefully its nothing serious because if it is, I've had enough. I don't feel like spending any more money on my accord.
for your brake light u might want to check out ur brake master cylinder resevior, it could be low. if thats not it the cap has to wire that are connected try to disconnect them if the light goes off its a bad cap.
juan gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #17
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Check the ABS modulator's reservoir to see if your level is low, if so you may need to add fluid and then bleed out the air.

My 5th gen had a similar problem, the cause of the light was a low fluid level and it went away after filling it back up. However the root cause of the issue was rust corrosion from road salt in the modulator causing a pinhole leak. You may want to check underneath the assembly to see if theres any leakage
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgodv6
thanks dad, damn you're on this forum as well
if you know your vehicle, you can control it. ABS will not help if you loose complete control - neither will AWD... I have seen more AWD in the ditches then anything.
Any idiot can wreck even the most capable car. It doesn't mean that the systems aren't beneficial to the non-idiots. ABS saves lives by preventing skids which can cause you to lose control. Lack of ABS can HELP you to lose control of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgodv6
I live in the most extreme conditions that N.A has to offer.
-40 in the winter and + 35 in the summer

I'd loose more stability when the ABS pumping would happen on ice and slushes roads.

I run studded tires here, I tried non studded and the same happened.
Some people just know who to handle their cars in certain conditions and don't need assistance
yeah if you drive on unpaved roads or in a lot of snow or slush, lack of ABS actually helps since allowing the car to lock up and dig in is sometimes the only real way to stop. This is why serious off-roaders get pissed off about non-defeatable ABS. For 99.99999% of people on the road though, I would not consider disabling or lack of ABS a good thing.
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #19
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

here is one reason why I do not run with ABS ...

it's -35 -40 outside with the wind today.
we have black ice everywhere @ night.
our roads up here are in the worst shape in all of canada.
Here, it gets to the point where it's too cold to snow in feb. It has not snowed for 2 weeks and it's still iced on the floor

Last edited by cowgodv6; February 6th, 2007 at 12:58 PM..
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #20
Formerly VTEC-v6!

It's a wonder that people actually habitate there...
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #21
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

rofl well I would rather have 8 months of summer and 4 months of winter then 12 full months of summer. There would never be any down time for projects, you'd be out of a car if that was the case if you had something planned.

It's +35 degrees in the summer with 100% humidity, feeling like 40-45 with heat warnings ... it's not all bad just the roads
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #22
Formerly VTEC-v6!

It's all relative, we get 3-4 months of "winter" here...which is basically 20-50 degrees depending on the day, so it's not like its 12 months of summer

The worst part of the summer is july-august where its like 90-100 every day
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #23
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

question for you ... have you ever experienced -35 -40 trying to drive with winds pushing your car over the inner and outer lines of the lane your in ?

if not, you can come up here ... anyday from january till march
in between those dates it's too cold to snow and if it does we will get over 1-2 feet. A few years ago the mayor of toronto called in the amry to help remove the foot of snow they got in 1 hour . he was seen as a big wuss for doing this, but he got his votes the next election

I wished we had better roads .. the conditions once you're use to them is fine ... but the quality of road is similar to your driveway rather then highway. The snow removal truck we have are some of the largest in the world that will scrape the highways 3 lanes wide with one truck and a huge shovel over 50 feet long. When you're trying to get to work and they are in front of you on the highway, you drive 20-30 km/h behind them for 1 hour sometimes

Anyways, for our conditions, ABS is not the ideal option, at least during our winters because on ice and sleet or ice sheets we get ... nothing will help you stop except your bumpers and then it's too late. You really need driving skills. Not everybody can "handle" or manuover a car in these conditions.

The day I bought my 5th gen AV6, I had to drive back from quebec city ( where I bought it ) and head home to montreal ( normally a 2.5-2.75 hour drive ) in a snow storm with 2 feet of snow on the road. I saw over 30 cars in the ditches coming back, 90% were SUVs and a few 53 foot trucks. The drive back took 6 hours ... I was happy I have ice racing studded tires and ABS disabled that day, and every other day

Last edited by cowgodv6; February 7th, 2007 at 06:36 AM..
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #24
Formerly VTEC-v6!

I'm fine thanks...it's 60 here and I'm gonna go running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in