Car dying? :( - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to vfxraven19 Send a message via MSN to vfxraven19
Unhappy Car dying? :(

Well after finding my radiator was cracked last week, I had it replaced last saturday with new hoses. That same night and the day after the car drove fine. Now comes monday daytime... the car still drives fine.

Now I drive back to LA because I have work on tuesday, and car runs into problem. 1/2 way to LA, I noticed the car becoming a bit sluggish.... If I apply more to the throttle it wouldn't respond as quickly or not at all. Suddenly the dreaded 'CHECK ENGINE' light comes on. I didn't want to stop because I was already closer to the condo I live at so I just proceeded as scheduled, but with a bit of worry. I have no idea what's wrong with the car except idling is low and the engine sounds like it'll just die out at any minute. If I rev for a bit and let go of the throttle, it will near stall. Anyone encounter something like this?

In the meantime, I am driving my Dad's car. I am having a mechanic uncle of mine stop by my place to checkout the car after work. Hopefully we can find out what's up and get it fixed...

Last edited by vfxraven19; February 6th, 2007 at 09:10 AM..
vfxraven19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #2

i think whoever was replacing radiator forgot to plug connectors of some sensors back in.
check if there is any unpluged connectors, if there is then plug it in and reset ECU.
if you don't see any unpluged connectors you need to go to some shop that does free ECU scans to see what is a problem.
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions. I will make doublecheck any connections. I tried an ECU reset last night, and nothing, but I still got to doublecheck any loose/unconnected wires. It should be all connected because my radiator fans kick in as normal.

Old February 6th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

Send a message via MSN to cowgodv6
sluggish throttle sounds like ignition.
you get sluggish response when the rotor is finished in the distributor cap and the spark wires are not reaching the coil

pick a distributor cap / rotor up at a local parts store and change it. If that does not help, then you might have a vacuum / throttle body issue which I doubt
92 Civic LX 4 door Winter Beater - Wife`s winter car (scrapped)
92 Accord EX - Winter Beater
cowgodv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgodv6
sluggish throttle sounds like ignition.
you get sluggish response when the rotor is finished in the distributor cap and the spark wires are not reaching the coil

pick a distributor cap / rotor up at a local parts store and change it. If that does not help, then you might have a vacuum / throttle body issue which I doubt
Thanks Cowgodv6. This might be it. If the distributor cap is bad, does it throw anything else outa whack?
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

the distributor timing "can" get mis'aligned and not fire at the right sequence.
If you do not have a helms manual I will take a pic of the firing order if you need ... let me know

I have had these issues arise and I actually drove with 3 cylinders firing rather then 6 for over 50 kms ... that was an experience
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
the distributor timing "can" get mis'aligned and not fire at the right sequence.
If you do not have a helms manual I will take a pic of the firing order if you need ... let me know

I have had these issues arise and I actually drove with 3 cylinders firing rather then 6 for over 50 kms ... that was an experience
It's making more and more sense now. It might be in fact the distrib-cap. I don't have my manuals on me at the condo (only at home). Do you mind getting a pic of the firing order? Thanks Cowgod, you ROCK!
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #8
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

give me 10 mins
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #9
SIR Bound....Slowly

Dont just get a cap, make sure you get the rotor also.. Also the strike points and rotor tips might be corroded too, and can just be cleaned off with a wire brush.. but its better to just replace the cap and rotor completely

Last edited by Thundagoose; February 6th, 2007 at 12:14 PM..
Thundagoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #10
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

what is your email I will send you a PDF
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
what is your email I will send you a PDF
i sent you a PM w/ my email
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #12
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

responded
hope it helps bro
let us know
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #13

Thanks for the help. Since I am work, it might take a day or two to work on the car since I hit traffic both ways. I will check back when done.
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxraven19
Well after finding my radiator was cracked last week, I had it replaced last saturday with new hoses. That same night and the day after the car drove fine. Now comes monday daytime... the car still drives fine.

Now I drive back to LA because I have work on tuesday, and car runs into problem. 1/2 way to LA, I noticed the car becoming a bit sluggish.... If I apply more to the throttle it wouldn't respond as quickly or not at all. Suddenly the dreaded 'CHECK ENGINE' light comes on. I didn't want to stop because I was already closer to the condo I live at so I just proceeded as scheduled, but with a bit of worry. I have no idea what's wrong with the car except idling is low and the engine sounds like it'll just die out at any minute. If I rev for a bit and let go of the throttle, it will near stall. Anyone encounter something like this?

In the meantime, I am driving my Dad's car. I am having a mechanic uncle of mine stop by my place to checkout the car after work. Hopefully we can find out what's up and get it fixed...

In all of this, did your car overheat? If so, how many times, and how hot.... Not to scare you, but most of these cars that came through the dealer with a cracked radiator, had head gasket issues.... And if you lost compression in one or two cylinders, it will throw the misfire code.

It takes a pretty big failure to throw a code in OBDI systems, because they were very simple. The OBDII systems throw codes for everything....
Ei-ccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ei-ccord
In all of this, did your car overheat? If so, how many times, and how hot.... Not to scare you, but most of these cars that came through the dealer with a cracked radiator, had head gasket issues.... And if you lost compression in one or two cylinders, it will throw the misfire code.

It takes a pretty big failure to throw a code in OBDI systems, because they were very simple. The OBDII systems throw codes for everything....
My car didn't overheat during the radiator problem. I had to constantly fill up the radiator to get by (to and from work) until I was able to get her fixed on the weekend.
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #16

Quote:
It takes a pretty big failure to throw a code in OBDI systems, because they were very simple.....
This is why i think there is some connector was not plugged in.
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #17

Just a thought, I recall getting that emission control check and getting my car serviced for free at Honda. Did they replace the distributor cap & rotor for this service?
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxraven19
Just a thought, I recall getting that emission control check and getting my car serviced for free at Honda. Did they replace the distributor cap & rotor for this service?
Yeah, the 100,000 mile emissions recall consisted of replacing the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.

You said they replaced the hoses... which hoses? If they did the heater hoses (passenger side back of the engine) make sure they didn't pull any connectors apart. There are a couple of temp sensors on that side of the head.
Ei-ccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #19
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!

might be a connector as well
you should check both man. Don't wanna see another 5th gen bite the dust
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Yeah, the 100,000 mile emissions recall consisted of replacing the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.

You said they replaced the hoses... which hoses? If they did the heater hoses (passenger side back of the engine) make sure they didn't pull any connectors apart. There are a couple of temp sensors on that side of the head.
It looks like two main radiator hoses, there were pretty large. Visible from the front of the car's engine bay.

As for the rotor and cap, is it normal for these parts to die out? it may have been a year or year and a half since I got that service done... maybe less because my car was somewhere near the 125K mark...

Last edited by vfxraven19; February 6th, 2007 at 05:28 PM..
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #21

Quote:
might be a connector as well
you should check both man. Don't wanna see another 5th gen bite the dust
Hopefully everything can be determined after work today. I really don't want to lose this car. The last resort would be to actually buy me a TSX.
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #22

PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank Goodness!

First, I want to thank you all here at V6P for helping me out. Without a great AV6 community, I would be lost.

Secondly, here's what happened. My uncle mechanic had to bail out (Aunt butted into his schedule to help me out because she unexpectedly needed to be picked up from LAX. So it was just my dad and I tackling this. We weren't convined it was the distro-cap/rotors since they were in fact changed w/ the Honda Emissions check. However, we had to think and check what connection could have been knocked loose as the new radiator hoses were put in. My dad spotted a LOOSE connection on the throttle body. The wire hooked up to the Throttle Body Angle Sensor was very loose, like near dangling, so we reconnected it (snapped back into place). We quad-checked every wire connector near that area and made sure everything was connected.

We then reset the ECU by removing the negative bat-terminal. Reconnected, and fired up the engine... PRESTO! No more 'CHECK ENGINE' light. We test drove around the block and drives like nothing happened.

I am assuming since the wire came off the sensor, it threw the throttle response out of whack thus robbing my power and so forth when trying to apply gas. I'm glad the car is back to normal. No matter how bad I am in love with a TSX, I still cannot imagine giving up my 95 Accord V6. :-)

I will still keep an eye on her performance and connections. I like driving my car into Westwood.
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #23
SIR Bound....Slowly

Cool im glad to see you were able to fix that easily
Thundagoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in