bouncy... but lowered?? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 5TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1994-1997) > 5G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #1

bouncy... but lowered??

I was wondering if all lowered vehicles have bouncy rides compared to stock.

I am using TENZO TYPE-R Coilvers on my stock shocks. I only have the front 2 as of now but Im pretty sure it will sill still be bouncy when all 4 are on.

If I bought some new performance shocks and just used my TENZO's will the ride be more smooth?

Is my ride bouncy because they are Coilovers that are for a 4banger?

How do the other full suspensions ride? Im talking about a new setup.

here are some pics of how my car looks:

if they arent too clear please dont mind it. I havent had time to take pics with my digicam so I only took pics with my phone when I have a lil spare time.
4mytoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #2

Stock shocks are not good at all for the increased spring rates of the coilovers! So my guest is that you get a good set of performance shocks to take care of the bounce.

John
ftmjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #3

also you should keep in mind that your car is 300 punds heavier than what those shocks were designed for
soldierdude262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #4
bryan <3's bomex

what do you mean by bouncy? like after you go over a speedbump the car goes up and down or when you can "feel" the road more
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #5
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
get some new shocks man ..
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #6
Large Member

Definitely get new performance shocks. I went with Progress springs ( 2.5" drop) and the stock shocks and the ride was more boat-like than anything. Terrible lean when cornering, etc. Go with KYB or Koni shocks and you'll be much happier with the ride.

Bottom line: Lowering your ride will cause the ride to be stiffer and bouncier. Your decreasing the amount of travel the suspension has, and therefore you have less "cushion" to work with. Some, like Cowgod, have managed to come up with a setup that is lowered but still comfortable, but lowered means it ain't gonna ride as smoothly as stock.
Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 6th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #7

does anyone know how the KYB GR-2 shocks perform? I know you get what you pay for. I really dont have alot of money to be spending. And those are the cheapest performance shocks I found for our car.
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #8
Q

i'm guessing you only bought coilover sleeves. they have a tendency to be bouncy.
accord6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 7th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #9

I didnt see it... I hit a bump today. heard the same knocking noise you get when your lug nuts are loose. So i tighten the lugnuts and drive on. I hear the noise again so I jack up the car and try and take off the lug nuts and the lug nuts will only move a little then wont move at all.

Im not sure but Im guesssing the threads are stipped??

I hope not. Does anyone know how to take off lug nuts when they seem stuck?
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:28 AM   #10

Ok guys, one of my homeboys just bought a 97 civic coupe. The car is lowered but rides smooth. I took a look at the shocks he has and they are DROPZONE shocks. I went for a spin in the new whip and he took me to the dude who sold it to him. I saw 1 eclipse, 1 crx, 1 h22 accord all lowered. So I asked him what kind of suspension he used for them . He replied Dropzone is an in-expensive way to go. So I do a little research and find some dropzone shocks for our car that are $189+$20 s/h. So I say hey what the heck for $209shipped I minus well try it out.

here is the link for anyone else interested...
http://www.madracingconcepts.com/shocks/shocks.htm
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mytoys
I didnt see it... I hit a bump today. heard the same knocking noise you get when your lug nuts are loose. So i tighten the lugnuts and drive on. I hear the noise again so I jack up the car and try and take off the lug nuts and the lug nuts will only move a little then wont move at all.

Im not sure but Im guesssing the threads are stipped??

I hope not. Does anyone know how to take off lug nuts when they seem stuck?
not stripped, seized, just break off the studs and and get new lugs and studs, if you don't know how let me know, i just replaced all 20 of my lugs and studs

Last edited by soldierdude262; October 7th, 2005 at 09:40 PM..
Old October 7th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #12

I took my car to Les Shwab tire center. They did it for $96 parts and labor all included. Only for one wheel tho. I probably did spend alot of money on it. But it was my only transportatoin so even if I wanted to do it on my own I couldnt have.

Thanks soldierdude262 for the info. I am curious on how to replace the lugs and studs incase something like this comes up again.
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #13
bryan <3's bomex

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierdude262
not stripped, seized, just break off the studs and and get new lugs and studs, if you don't know how let me know, i just replaced all 20 of my lugs and studs
what kind of studs did you get? i heard arp's work great
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #14

omfg $96!!!??? i paid 40 for the studs and 20 for a new set of wheel lock lugs, and it only took a half an hour to swap'em

to replace the studs, pull the wheel, remove the brake caliper, remove the brake caliper bracket, rotate the brake rotor so that one wheel stud is about where the brake calpier was, then hit the stud with a BFH and it will pop out of the back of the rotor, repeat for the other 3 studs.

installation is a bit different, first, you need some cheap lug nuts that have the same thread as your new studs (i'm talking about the "open" style of lug where the stud goes all the way through the lug, they should be like .70 cents, buy 10 if you're doing the whole car, use one cheap lug for only 2 wheel studs, or you'll start to ruin your new studs), at the top of the wheel stud you will see ribs just under the head, these are what hold the stud in the wheel flange, oil the ribs to help get'em in, just like in removal, turn the rotor so you can access one of the stud holes, insert a stud, then tighten down one of the cheapo lug nuts then use an air gun to pull the new stud in, use your finger to hold the lug against the flange or it will just spin, if you dont have air tools get a second person to use a breaker bar to draw in the new studs, it works just as well but it just takes longer. lastly, measure how much of the new studs come through the flange, if any come up short, tighten'em, the your done, and be sure to check your lug nuts every couple days for a week.
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #15

Ok.. $209 DropZone shocks and $100 Tenzo Type-R coilovers Installed.
My car rides much better. The ride feels like stock. My brother rode in it with me and said it rides better than stock. My car is 3in. above the ground and rides SWEET. Would go lower but tires would rub and 3in. is the legal limit here in Washington.

I'd say for a $309 FULL suspension it was well worth the money then some.

now all I need to do is get CAMBER KITS..

I dropped my digi cam on accident and now its like its dead. So I gotta borrow someones camera to take pics.

Soldierdude what size studs did you use? Where can I get some studs? When I go to the hardware store what do I ask for? and whats a "BHF"?
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #16

just go to autozone or pepboys and ask for wheel studs for an accord, be sure to specify front or rear because they are different in length. and BFH stands for Big Fuc**** Hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in