Accord V6 Forum banner

sound gate ?

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  bogoshipyo 
#1 ·
i jus brought a soundgate adapter .....one qiuestion....since im using the sound gate ........how am i surpose to power up the head unit( i bought a sony aftermarket mp3 headunit) i need help with this
any comments and advices is appreciate.
thank you kim

#3 ·
ummm if ur getting a new headunit..then u bought the wrong thing....u need to buy a dash kit with a wire harness...u wire up the harness to the new headunit...and then u hook it up to ur car...u dont use ur stock headunit after u get a new one.

#4 · (Edited)
currently i am using the indash kit with the wiring harness......i thought if i install it with the sound gate i can use the controls on the steering wheels.......and one other thing , eventho i install it with the wiring harness......my radio doesnt work.....anyone can help me with that too ?

#5 ·
I think you got an extra piece partner. The soundgate will pipe your steering wheel controls to a Sony Disc changer, but a headunit uses the wiring harness to connect to the car replacing the stock stereo, the soundgate connects to the existing stock stereo.

Unless I'm wrong, and someone made an adapter to do so I don't think you can use your steering wheel control on an aftermarket Head Unit.

#6 ·
you gotta tell us more about this "soundgate" you have. Do you have a part number? Did you buy it to use the steering wheel controls with the sony head unit? Most of the peices I've seen like that have an IR transmitter and require the head unit to have a IR remote- maybe thats what you're trying to do? tell us more...

#7 ·
wht he is talkin about it hookig up the heaunit to the stock headunit...so he can control the stock volume with the steering controls...its possible to do...u just nneed to get power from another source....maybe tap into the cigerette lighter...ground to the chasis..and for the remote just tap into the stock harness. but do u need it that bad? sound quality is not going to be as good as just the sony headunit.

#11 ·
wellz right now im running on the mp3 unit.........one major problem with that is that i cant play radio

2nd....i brought the sound gate thinkin that it can help me so i can use the controls on the steering wheel

3rd..... connecting two unit together, because of the aux the stock unit offer.......i was thinking that if u can connect a factory honda mp3 unit on the bottom why cant u do it with as aftermarket ?.....o yeah like i mention i try....it goes thur and the aux works but i dunno how to power up the unit.....maybe i need something from the honda dealership ??

so now im stuck with either stock unit with radio ........or mp3 with no radio and no steering controls

the soundgate i got is SNHOND3 - http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/sounsnhond3.html

p.s.......will this help ? http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/sgtdockhond1v2.html

#13 ·
well ur radio aint working cause ur not puttin in the stock antenna...the antenna wire is one wire...so its going to go into the stock radio or the aftermarket...one or the other....

if u need mp3 with stock controls the best thing is just get the stock mp3 player...simple as that...the way u are doing it is beating around the bush....too many factors to over come and just not worth it in the end. either stick with aftermarket or stock with the mp3 upgrade. i would get aftermarket if i was u.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.