Accord V6 Forum banner

Coilovers VS Springs

2K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  Deepa 
#1 ·
Just wanting your imput, what is better for lowering, springs or coilovers. I currently have H&R lowering springs on my accord but kinda wish i had went with coilovers so i had the option of adjusting the height.

Which has beter Ride/Comfort
Handling?

And what kind of set up if i decied to change to coilovers would be the best for ride/comfort and handling under about 7-800$?

#3 ·
Deepa said:
Just wanting your imput, what is better for lowering, springs or coilovers. I currently have H&R lowering springs on my accord but kinda wish i had went with coilovers so i had the option of adjusting the height.

Which has beter Ride/Comfort
Handling?

And what kind of set up if i decied to change to coilovers would be the best for ride/comfort and handling under about 7-800$?
for that amount you can find the tein basics. I have the h-tech springs and i love the ride but havent felt coilovers on our cars yet so cant really help you out there

#5 ·
I have groundcontrol coilovers, which use eibach springs, and it rides great. Its a progressive rate spring so its not too stiff under normal conditions, but kicks in when it needs to.

The only reason to get coilovers is for adjustability. Just remember its not as easy as just dialing it in whenever you feel like a change. You need to get an all wheel alignment done whenever you change ride height. I got them because I didn't want to be scraping all the time, so I figured if I lowered it too much I could easily raise it back up and realign. With springs you are stuck with whatever drop they are made for. That was my reasoning anyways...

#7 ·
I have the H&R sport springs and I think they are great. There are a bit stiff tho, which is what I was looking for. I've had a few people tell me there are to stiff but I'm the one driving it. I had them on the stock shocks, not a good idea. Blew out the front 2 in less then 3 months. I now have them on a set of Koni's (all 4 corner) and what a difference. Plus I added a TL sway bar only to the rear. Personally I think it's a nice setup if you want a little stiffer ride. I've got 225/40/18 and there is a two finger gap between the wheel well and the tire. Looks great in my opinion. I try to post some pics over the weekend, just got the Koni's and everything installed yesterday.

#8 ·
Does H&R make springs for our cars? Also im going with 235/35/19 with the current H&R springs, i just want the car to sit right above my tires to give it a clean look thats what im considering changing to some other springs or coilovers
whats the offset on your 18? post pics id help me alot.

#9 ·
Does H&R make shocks for our cars? Also im going with 235/35/19 with the current H&R springs, i just want the car to sit right above my tires to give it a clean look thats what im considering changing to some other springs or coilovers

MENT SHOCKS NOT SPRINGS

#10 ·
Deepa said:
Does H&R make shocks for our cars? Also im going with 235/35/19 with the current H&R springs, i just want the car to sit right above my tires to give it a clean look thats what im considering changing to some other springs or coilovers

MENT SHOCKS NOT SPRINGS
As far as I know H&R makes coilovers for the car, I don't belive you can buy there shocks. Let me put it to you this way I had my H&R on the stock shock for a bit the back looked like it sagged a bit, as far as the front there was a 2.5 - 3 finger gap between the wheel and the tire. Now that I have my Koni's installed with the H&R's,with the Koni's set at there lowest height setting I've got about 1 1/2 finger gap between the front tire and wheel well. Looks 100x better then before the car sits just over the tire, it's great looking line now. As for the offset I beleive they are 45 ( Teckademics wheels, style = Ronin ) possibly 48 I don't specifically recall. I'll check into that and post back, out of town again atm. Give me a day or 2 to get some pics posted, I just had the new shocks done this last week so I don't have a new pics atm.

#11 ·
sweet03accord said:
As far as I know H&R makes coilovers for the car, I don't belive you can buy there shocks. Let me put it to you this way I had my H&R on the stock shock for a bit the back looked like it sagged a bit, as far as the front there was a 2.5 - 3 finger gap between the wheel and the tire. Now that I have my Koni's installed with the H&R's,with the Koni's set at there lowest height setting I've got about 1 1/2 finger gap between the front tire and wheel well. Looks 100x better then before the car sits just over the tire, it's great looking line now. As for the offset I beleive they are 45 ( Teckademics wheels, style = Ronin ) possibly 48 I don't specifically recall. I'll check into that and post back, out of town again atm. Give me a day or 2 to get some pics posted, I just had the new shocks done this last week so I don't have a new pics atm.

Did the koni shocks make the car lower?

#12 ·
I have the same spring you do the H&R sport springs ( dark blue to black in color ). It was hard to notice but the back sagged just a bit, not a lot. I'm quite picky and being that I work in and enviroment of thousandths of an inch I notice any little bit. Mine were settled also. As far as making the car lower with the Koni's yes it did. The Koni are height adjustable there are 3 setting for the front shocks and 2 for the rear. When mine were installed they set the fronts & back on the bottom setting. I measured it the other day and it dropped it about another 3/4 of an inch on the front. Each setting on the shock measure another 1/2 inch but once everything is actually put back together it ends up about 3/4 of an inch. Which I did read in another post somewhere else on this site. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. I'm out of town but will try to get my roomate to snap a few and e-mai lthem to me and post them. If not I'll be back on Wed and try to get some posted by then.

#13 ·
I was thinking about going lower but if getting the knoi shocks will lower it ill just go with that then having to buy anthor set of springs (kind of wanting about 1.9 or so drop in the front) so say with the koni shocks how low does the from sit? H&R springs 1.5 + koni shocks__ = ?

#16 ·
Deepa said:
I was thinking about going lower but if getting the knoi shocks will lower it ill just go with that then having to buy anthor set of springs (kind of wanting about 1.9 or so drop in the front) so say with the koni shocks how low does the from sit? H&R springs 1.5 + koni shocks__ = ?
Your question is a bit hard to say. Each spring could settle a bit different. I can tell you this though from my measurement the other day when I got to drive the ride once before I had to jet out again. There is a 7/8 of an inch gab between the top of the wheel well and the tire all the way around. I measured from the ground to the bottom side of my OEM ground effects kit and it measured 4 1/4 inches. Until I can get some pics posted for you, all I can say is it definitely lowered the car more by putting the H&R springs on the Koni shock on there lowest setting. Oh yea from the ground to the bottom of the clip right in the center ( by the honda emblem) was 5 7/16". I'll do my best to get some pics soon, work is just nutty lately been out of town way to much :(

#17 ·
I've heard that coilovers are better becuz of adjustability but since I have Comptech springs and Koni Sports I have no idea how much better. OK so coilovers give adjustability...is that the only benefit that coils have over springs? Is the ride with coils or springs the same? I personally like my setup so I'm just wondering if coils have a better ride. I don't like going too low becuz I don't like that scraping sound. :D

#18 ·
flyvtec said:
I've heard that coilovers are better becuz of adjustability but since I have Comptech springs and Koni Sports I have no idea how much better. OK so coilovers give adjustability...is that the only benefit that coils have over springs? Is the ride with coils or springs the same? I personally like my setup so I'm just wondering if coils have a better ride. I don't like going too low becuz I don't like that scraping sound. :D
Yea the scraping has me a bit concerned but it's all good I look at it this way once every 2 years I'll just buy a new front clip. By the you'll be able to find the dirt cheap, at least I can tell my self that for now. I guess I'll just have to be a bit more cautious until I get use to the new setting. I can say I really like the feel of the ride tho with the new shocks. Much better then the H&R's on stock shock, which mind you I blew out twice ( thank god for a friend at the dealer ), nothing better then modding a ride and getting things fix under warranty even tho it shouldn't be.

#19 ·
I want to get 19" rims and have little wheel well space as possible, so if the car does get lower with the Konis, im going to look into them, plus how much good everyone talks about them they must be somthing.

oh yeah...Koni shocks off of ebay, scam or good deal, has anyone bought any off of ebay? Thats the best deal i can find.

Sweet03accord thanks for your help, and post some pics whenever you can. Ill post some of my car once i get my digital camera back from my firend.

#21 ·
Deepa said:
Oh yeah whats the average install price everyones been paying to get the Konis installed?
There's no set price for install. Check in the regional forum for some discussion on this topic and you'll get better results. Call around and find the best price in your area. My prices is most likely nowhere near what you'd pay.

#22 ·
Not a problem bud that's why we all come to the site for help and info. It's the least I can do. I will definetly post some pics whenever I make it back home. I just want to be able to drive the car. Spent all this cash and haven't been able to enjoy much of it yet. Personally I wouldn't go to e-bay for them you never know what is up, could be a good deal, could be a scam, possibly even a fake which in this case is the last thing you would want. That my friend is at your own risk. As far as install depends on where you live or if you know someone. I called around for quotes and anywhere from $250-500 at a shop. I ended up paying $300.00 (side job from a friends buddy who is a Honda tech) to install the koni's and brakes, included swaping the H&R from the old shocks to the new, install power slot brake rotors & hawk HPS pads on all four corners, install sway bar, and adjusted my exhaust a bit, cleaned and waxed also. Oh yea another $50 for the alignment but that was done somewhere else. Good luck to ya Deepa and I'll post as soon as I can. Peace

#24 ·
I heard not to long ago they were trying to get a group buy going threw www.gen7accord.com I think price was like $525.00, cheapest I found them was @ www.ajusa.com $619.00 including shipping. Another site it www.shox.com or tirerack.com most places I found them were at least $160.00 each at the cheapest all the way up to like $230.00ea which is ridiculious. If you can try to get in the GB @ the gen7accord.com site,I just checked there site you may be to late but go over there ASAP the GB link is all the way at the bottom of the forum page the last post was 4/1/05 saying it wouldn't be around much longer. Also the 525 includes shipping. Hope this helps you out. Good luck and Peace!!!

#25 ·
Pics of the Koni's installed

Here is two pics now that the Koni's got installed with the H&R sport springs. Kind of crapy pics due to my buddies crap camera, and the car is way dirty, just got back in town and didn't have time to wash it yet. Hope this gives you an idea where you want to go Deepa.

Here is the page if you want to get an enlarged veiw them

http://www.cardomain.com/id/sweet03accord

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.