Dampening door panel, need help - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #1
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

Send a message via AIM to Loulax07
Dampening door panel, need help

look at the pic
i need to know where i can soundproof with brownbread yet still be able to fit the panel back on the door flush
i have already put some sheets behind wherever you see carpet padding
thanx!
Attached Thumbnails
Dampening door panel, need help-ddoor2aa.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe - Nighthawk Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loulax07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #2
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
A single layer ANYWHERE on the door panel will fit onto your door skin. The clips that hold the panel on.. create a good.. 1/4space inside the door panel and metal door skin.

I used 2 layers..of extreme on my entire door panel. Make sure to get rid of all the squeaks you hear from the leather and plastic rubbing... I had a few And I placed friction tape between the 2 rubbing areas. I removed my black strip that runs along the top of the door panel and placed a thin dab of silicone on the back of the strip before I placed it back on... it was squeaking when I placed my elbow on it as you drive before :rolleyes"

The arm rests.. tend to squeak somewhat.. I toook out the screws of the arm rest and pulled it out.. dabbed a thin layer of silicone on the areas where the arm rest attach and reattached the arm rest... I removed the styrofoam block that's there.. eventually taht rubs and squeaks against the plastic..

Just shake the panel againt the carpet of your house and it should sound solid... after you silicone, friction tape and sound deaden it... because no ones wants to take off their panels OVER and over again for recurring squeaks ... I've been there.. it's a bltch..

And by the way... take out the carpet padding... it doesnt do crap against vibration.. I found out after all.. and eventually moisture and humidity.. the spray adhesive doesnt hold all that well and the stupid carpet paddings plop right off... in its place use any sound deadener and layer about 2 layers... muuuuuuuuuuuuuch more effective.

Friction tape wrap all wires going to the door panel.. as they will vibrate and rattle eventually... *phew*
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:41 AM   #3
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

ok, kool
so, anywhere on the door panel, i can add one layer
kool
i will also remember to friction tape all the wires
i know i had to move around some clips and OEM wire harnesses in the door b/c the new tweets hit em
thanx bro

Old October 27th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #4
8th World Wonder

That looks like the backside of your door panel?

You should apply the material to the metal frame portions of the door, bot the plastic on the back of the panel.
GotVtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:19 AM   #5
tastes like donkeyballs

Quote:
Originally posted by GotVtec
That looks like the backside of your door panel?

You should apply the material to the metal frame portions of the door, bot the plastic on the back of the panel.
Uh no... he SHOULD apply it to any object that would resonate to it's own Fs. Even the plastic panel will humm and bltch when given a specific frequency that vibrates it to holy-hell...

In addition honda door panels.. arent of the best construction and tend to squeak, moan and rattle as they get older.. so dampening the plastic is a must.. when you add to that external acoustical vibrations of insane midbass
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #6
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

and is it true, by just adding a small piece of dampening to a slightly larger panel, it will keep most of that piece from vibration?
i know it wont sound proof as good as one sheet......
but i've heard that some put a small 1'x1' piece, for example, on one of their side trunk panels, and its virtually eliminates vibration
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #7
tastes like donkeyballs

I've heard of that theory of "vibrational center".. where there is a central point.. similar to droping a rock in a pond and the central disturbance produces outward waves which inturn disturb surrounding areas..

but good luck finding that vibrational point... but I suspect there are many little vibrational points that sum up to a whole.. so it's just better to dampen the whole dam thing.
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #8
8th World Wonder

Quote:
Originally posted by L_fty
Uh no... he SHOULD apply it to any object that would resonate to it's own Fs. Even the plastic panel will humm and bltch when given a specific frequency that vibrates it to holy-hell...

In addition honda door panels.. arent of the best construction and tend to squeak, moan and rattle as they get older.. so dampening the plastic is a must.. when you add to that external acoustical vibrations of insane midbass
I don't know how much I agree with this.

Honda Engineers use the door cavity as the acoustical chamber for the door speakers. By applying the the damping material to the outside layer of the metal of the door, inbetween the doorpanel and window mechanism, you will eliminate most of the resonance from the door. Another good idea would be to put the acoustic pad behind your door's drivers. Plastic will always rattle in a car, no matter if you have it covered or not.

The plastic cover is not what rattles or squeeks. Its the door hinge or the fastners for the door panel. Also, adding added wieght to a fastned article can only weaken the fastner and cause more squeek and rattle.

You can try each method. You can read dynamats FAQ on proper procedures for doing this. It will help your Accord sound like a Lexus with no music at all. Eliminate exterior road noise and drop your floor nosie some.
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #9
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

i sense a battle starting!
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #10
tastes like donkeyballs

LOL Vtec has a few valid points while other are ummm... but let's end it here.. I think Lou gets the message to try to diminish what he can in terms of vibrational induced rattles, squeaks, etc...

But I'm all for a healthy contradictory conversation where both sides convey their own view points and in the end L_fty wins the debate and buries Vtec into the ground with a Adire Tempest sub as his grave stone. juuuuuuuuuuust kidding bro

Last edited by L_fty; October 27th, 2003 at 10:25 AM..
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #11
8th World Wonder

I am not trying to start any disputes, I am just stating from my experiences. Just trying to make the V6P world a better place.
GotVtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #12
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

on the door itself, can i coat the metal bar that opens the door from the inside handle with friction tape?
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #13
tastes like donkeyballs

I wouldnt.. it would inhibit movement of the bar.. use some weather strip foam.. with the one side adhesive and place it behind the bar.. so the foam will allow movement....
Old October 30th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #14
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

well, i planned on wrapping it, leaving the parts that need clearance to pass thru something free of any tape.
we'll see
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in