Only 1 Preamp output =P - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to SwTbeB4Lyfe43
Only 1 Preamp output =P

i was talking to my friend about how i was going to get type r components in front, & amp those with a 2-channel amp and amp my rears with this (sh**-y) power acoustik i already have. however when i told him i only had 1 preamp on my deck, he told me that even if i use those y-shaped wire converters (is that called a line out converter?) it'll sound like crap & i'll lose half the power from my amp. plus its all lows or something (??? not sure)

can ya'll tell what's the deal with this? it didnt make me too happy

mods:
OEM spoiler

audio:
it sucks!

--the low-end version of mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SwTbeB4Lyfe43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #2

You can get an active crossover, run the one set of preamps to the xover and then feed both amps from the output of the xover.

He is sort of correct..........you will end up sending full signal to each amp because of the y-cable. If the amps dont have xovers built in, you'll end up amplifying signals you dont need (or even worse, amplifying signals that your speakers cant handle, and making them even worse on your speakers).

An active (electronic) crossover would be the easiest way, assuming your amps dont have built in xovers.

-Chris
chrisexv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #3

i need another crossover even tho the alpine components will come with their own crossovers?

if i understood u right, then yes because i am using the crossovers for their preamps

Old October 28th, 2003, 05:12 AM   #4

The xovers that come with components are passive (i.e. they just sit there, take all of the signal coming in, and split it to the woofer and tweeter).

You can add a crossover before your amps, which again makes sure only the signals your components (woofer and tweeter) can handle go that way. For instance, your components may be good down to 150Hz. No reason to have an amp waste its time (and power!!!) amplifying stuff below 150, because the component crossovers would not let it thru (or even worse, they would, and it would blow the speakers). So having the active crossover before the amps allows you the outputs you need, and makes the system work a lot better.

It basically works like a "router" to route the correct frequencies to the correct amps, based on how you set the crossover. The secondary gain is that you can have one input and the crossover could split the freqs. on that one input into several "bands" or outputs. I actually have a 3-way electronic xover in my car, but I only use 2 of the "ways".

-Chris
Old October 28th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #5

ok, so what do u recommend? preferably cheaper (is there a us acoustics of crossovers? haha)
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #6
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
eBay owns you... search for ARC, PPI, Audiocontrol, A/D/S,... active crossovers... maybe you'll find some good prices..
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:10 AM   #7

I have a 6 year old MTX electronic 3-way (huhuhuh, I said 3-way) xover. I might actually be selling it in the next month or so if you arent in a hurry otherwise L_fty is R_ght, good ole Ebay.

-Chris
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:37 PM   #8

ya know, i figured that since i would be spendin all that $ on a crossover, i might just get a new HU & have my friend install it. i havent been that happy with the one i have anyway.
if i do get a new one, how many sets of preouts should i be looking for if i wanna hook up 2 amps? i'm lookin at alpine cdm-9803 or pioneer deh-p3500, they both have 2
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #9

Well, like Ive explained before, you arent limiting yourself even if you have one pre-amp, its just that you would need another piece of equipment inline to branch it all off.

Personally, I end up with Alpines that have 3 sets of pre-outs, but mostly because of the *other* features that their higher-end models have, not the 3 pre-outs. And in the end I end up using two.

If you dont mind needing an xover somewhere, or your amps have xovers built in, the 980X series and the 9811 are good choices. if you want xover at the head unit, the 9813 or 9815 is what you should be lookin at. I personally value one less thing inline of the signal, and the control that an HU with xovers built in gives me, so I just picked up a 9813.

-Chris
Old October 30th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #10

hey, is the sound quality difference between alpine & pioneer noticeable? cuz i like the way the pioneer looks but alpine is supposed to sound better
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:58 PM   #11
Booooooom

Quote:
Originally posted by SwTbeB4Lyfe43
hey, is the sound quality difference between alpine & pioneer noticeable? cuz i like the way the pioneer looks but alpine is supposed to sound better
not much. unless u have super hearing u'kll be happy w either.
Old October 31st, 2003, 03:58 PM   #12

Re: Only 1 Preamp output =P

Quote:
Originally posted by SwTbeB4Lyfe43
i was talking to my friend about how i was going to get type r components in front, & amp those with a 2-channel amp and amp my rears with this (sh**-y) power acoustik i already have. however when i told him i only had 1 preamp on my deck, he told me that even if i use those y-shaped wire converters (is that called a line out converter?) it'll sound like crap & i'll lose half the power from my amp. plus its all lows or something (??? not sure)

can ya'll tell what's the deal with this? it didnt make me too happy
dude, your friend is a moron

If your deck has one set of RCA pre-amp outputs, you simply buy a $1.50 Y-split and then put it to both your amps.

You will 100% NOT loose any power from your amp and 100% NOT loose any sound quality. Your friend is 100% entirely wrong. He could try to be even more wrong, but I do not think he would succeed.
sab4you is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:19 PM   #13

so it will or it won't? whats the dealio
Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:48 PM   #14

Yeah... it will stillwork if you split the one set of RCA outputs. I currently split my one set into 2. I don't really like it because you can't set the gains seperately. Both channels have to be the same. For instance, if have front on HP, you sort of have to set the rear to HP also. If you set the rear to LP, then the back speaker channel wiill not work. I plan on trying out one of those active crossovers.
edwinyee82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 11th, 2003, 12:59 AM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to BLAZEDnCONFUSED Send a message via AIM to BLAZEDnCONFUSED
you dont even need a splitter.... most amplifiers have outputs for other amplifiers so you just have to connect from one amp to another....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in