leather seats and rain... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #1

leather seats and rain...

i hate when it rains hard outside and when you get in the car...

i was waitting on line for something today and it was rainning really hard and i got soaked...even though i had an umbrella...

and than i had to sit on my leather seats...is this ok..? will it damage the leather seats?

also when you open the door and rain gets all in your car...
6MTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to JPAccord
i dont think a little rain will hurt it, the only thing you have to worry about is large amount of water getting in them and mildewing. Id be more worried about the leather drying out.
JPAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:34 PM   #3
I love you Cat...forever

Send a message via AIM to KCMC582
a small amount of rain wont do anything, but even if it would, how would you prevent it? haha. its gonna get in their regardless. just clean and condition the leather regularly, and you will be just fine. if we had some crazy italian or english leather or some ****, that MIGHT be different, but we dont.
KCMC582 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 27th, 2003, 07:49 PM   #4
fat bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by KCMC582
a small amount of rain wont do anything, but even if it would, how would you prevent it? haha. its gonna get in their regardless. just clean and condition the leather regularly, and you will be just fine. if we had some crazy italian or english leather or some ****, that MIGHT be different, but we dont.

how often would you clean/condition it?
OEM foglights
Suspension- 4 x 4 Jeep upgrade(nothing like a 4 inch gap)
Security-Compustar 2WSS-AS

my reliable car: scroll down to end of page
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13063
ricanrsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to JPAccord
I usually clean my leather, vacuum the carpet, and clean and condition the dash and all other rubber/plastic/vinyl surfaces every other wash. So about every other week. I just like the leather looking sharp and when you sit on it, it feels slick.
JPAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to trgdt56
If your leather is dirty, it might spot due to the moisture actually cleaning spots in the leather. Especially if the rain has any acitity to it it can spot leather that is in need of cleaning. I would think this would only happen if the leather was light colored, with the balck leather you will most likley not notice anything. My moms surburban had light gray leahter seats and it got older rain would clean spots in the leather, but I could get them out simply by cleaning the leather and evening things out. Other than that water will not hurt the leather.
trgdt56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:07 PM   #7

will anything happen if water gets into the holes in the perforated leather seats..?
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #8
I love you Cat...forever

Send a message via AIM to KCMC582
no...unless you DUMP water in it.
KCMC582 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #9
7th Gen ACcord

just get some plastic and cover em then you have no worries. ahahah
xjdMb16a2six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:58 PM   #10

hmmm....
thats a good idea...
i'll design some seat covers with saran wrap....
order yours now while supplies lasts......

lol
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:46 PM   #11

i though accord leather are clear coated, and we don't need to conditioner
sheep208 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to NightShift
ha i was just thinkin the same thing again, it freakin poured when i was running to my car and all i could think about is how wet my leather was gonna get. A few weeks ago the night after my friend drank in my car, a part of the passenger seat leather was all crinkly and weird, and i figured her bottle touched it (condensation), so i thought thats what the water does, but i conditioned the seat again, i forgot to check if it went away...
NightShift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #13
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally posted by trgdt56 on October 27th, 2003 at 11:25 PM

If your leather is dirty, it might spot due to the moisture actually cleaning spots in the leather. Especially if the rain has any acitity to it it can spot leather that is in need of cleaning. I would think this would only happen if the leather was light colored, with the balck leather you will most likley not notice anything. My moms surburban had light gray leahter seats and it got older rain would clean spots in the leather, but I could get them out simply by cleaning the leather and evening things out. Other than that water will not hurt the leather.
This happens to the leather in my car. I thought it was normal but now I see why it happens . I need to clean my leather .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #14
Bye bye accord :(

what you should really watch out for is sweat... if you are wearing some shorts on a hot summer day and your leg gets sweaty it will damage leather. sweat is essentially salt water so it will dry out the leather.
raff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #15

Just make sure you clean and condition your leather AT LEAST once every two or three months, depending on how much you use the car. I do my leather every month or so, just because I like the smell. Buy a good cream, too, don't go cheap. Meguiars makes a good leather conditioner, Hide-Food is also good, but very expensive. Pour the cream onto the seat and massage it into the leather. Make sure you get into all the seams and stitches, as these are critical parts. Then, using a clean towel, wipe up the excess. The better you take care of your leather, the better it will age and gain character. Plus, split leather doesn't help when it comes time for re-sale....
SentraSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #16
Make Way for The Bad Guy!

Send a message via AIM to JoeySmallz
I condition mine every time I clean my car. The thing you have to watch out for is getting a lot of water on the part of the seat where your back rests because it will mess up the side airbag sensors. But just getting in the car with wet clothes on shouldn't do this
JoeySmallz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2003, 12:46 PM   #17
Your V12, My V-twin.

Send a message via AIM to JonHsiung
For those days I carry around a towel in my car so that I can wipe the interior immediately after the rain touches it. After the storm is over I tend to condition my leather.

I'm really touchy about leather because I think that cracked leather looks ghetto and very unclassy.

JonHsiung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2003, 07:57 PM   #18
V6P Lover

Send a message via AIM to v62kaccord
if you guys use lexol cleaner and conditioner they actually tell u to wet ur leather while rubbing it with the cleaner, so i think it's ok as long as u condition it after water touches the leather
v62kaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to gabedabomb
If you are going to get sweaty...

Keep towels/ extra change of clothes in your car. Thats what I "try" to remember when I go to the gym. When I forget to bring an extra shirt (and I sweat a lot) I would drive shirtless, and NOT LEAN BACK in the seat :-O I have to drive slow cuz it's awkward, but hey, I'm gonna save the seat. BTW I have been reading something on the Leatherique stuff. Anyone used it? I am gonna wait until the summer when things heat up to use it, since you need a hot temperature for that process.
gabedabomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 8th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #20
Vimal (vee-mall)

Send a message via AIM to KnightRyder
just buy some seat covers from kragen or some auto store and use them during the rainy season and take them off when the rain stops, that way your leather will stay untouched by water. thats what i do.

KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:11 PM   #21
Your V12, My V-twin.

Send a message via AIM to JonHsiung
But what about the door?? the doorrrr!!!
JonHsiung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 13th, 2003, 11:20 AM   #22
Vimal (vee-mall)

Send a message via AIM to KnightRyder
ummmm, i have no idea what to do about the door. thats why i still have towels in my car.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in