Audio Help for $1,000 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:04 AM   #1

Audio Help for $1,000

The one downside to my AV6 is the sound system. Sedans just don't cut it IMO.

What can I do for say $1,000 that will add a decent amp and speakers to my ride? No subs in a box or anything please. I like bass, but would rather work with what I have.

Brands, sizes, etc...and info on how the amp(s) would drive it all in conjunction with my NAVI system would be great. Not sure if the Navi interferes with what I can do.

Insight appreciated.
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #2

no clue about the navi, but if your hooking up a line out converter to your stock radio i culdnt see how it would interfere.

I would go with a nive 5 channel amp, maybe kicker or something like that then replace all of your stock speakers with a decent brand speaker. Which brand would be all up to you. The reason i say 5 channel is because if you ever want to add a sub later on down the road you have a mono sub channel and you wont have to add another amp, or more wiring, etc. Just my $.02

I'd say maybe a nice focal component, and maybe some focal 6x9s. Or you can use infiniti, alpine, etc.
smokedoutv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #3
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

Send a message via AIM to Loulax07
what do u want, boom or sound quality?
most guys on here go for crap amps and subs and want boom
i've been there, done that (not in my accord tho)
if u r serious, and dont wanna go all crap RF or kicker, lemme know and we'll talk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe - Nighthawk Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loulax07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 28th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #4

i've heard very nice systems using RF and kicker I see from your sig your using a PPI amp, what makes it better? or is that what the dude who sold it to you told you?
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #5
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

listen
i'm sorry i dont buy stuff u can get in any best buy or pc richards.
to me, all that stuff is very generic, every kid has, and there is better out there for SQ. if he wants a system for boom, sloppy, and little SQ, go right ahead and buy that.
I am not putting down what they sell, and i have been there, from Jenson, to Vega, to Infinity, to Focal and Diamond Audio and I have learned much. I dont knock what i havent tried.....

And smoked- u dont know me or what i do, so DONT think i am some gullable idiot who spends money on the highest priced or touted equipment

BACK TO pdqgp- please let me know what route u wish to go, SQ or spl, and i'm sure we can find somethin, even if it does involve RF or Kicker. AND, i do own kicker 6x9's lol
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #6

LOL look at your sig, half of the sh*t in there is from best buy LOL.

I dont care what you buy but if you giving someone advise dont push your own personal opinion on them like its fact, like RF and kicker are crap.

you are right I dont know you, and you dont know me, now that thats straightened out lets move on

and whats the big gripe w/ Best Buy & PC Richards? I havent bought anything from there either? again i dont see how it relates. I ASSUME you bought your stuff from a reputible car audio store that did what, sell you the brand they carry? and talk sh*t about brands they dont? Opinions are like *ssholes, everybody has one, but lets just keep them as opinions OK?
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #7
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
LOL woah! The wars are brewing.. and I wasnt invited!!??

To the original thread starter.... ok so you have 1G. And you dont want to have a box/subs in the trunk... saving weight..want to keep trunk space.. yada yada..

You will not have any extension to hit you in the chest bass.. if you just replace the stock interiors with upgraded interiors.

There are viable options.. such as a small bass-unit. the inifinty basslink.. which is a self contained 200watt amp and 10inch subwoofer in a small enclosure...

If that doesnt tickle you the right way.. then let's recommend some speakers... are you daring and would like to do some minor modifications to your door skin to perhaps install a component set? If yes.. then for $349 go to adireaudio and pickup the Koda6 component set... mate that with a nice 100watt x4 amp.. and it will give you midbass that will kock you in the face...remmeber I said MIDBASS not subbass... there is a difference...

The rears.. you could easily get away with some Inifinity kappas, or Alpine Type R...

Installation and sound deadening are just as equally important as the equipment you buy. You'll be keeping your stock deck... so you'll need a very good quality line-out-convertor... www.davidnavone.com will be just that... excellent excellent stuff...

eBay will be your best best for sound deadening stuff... good prices..

Amp install kits available anywhere... The 400watt amp. in addition to the basslink you should have a 4gauge power wire... if just going with the amp... 8gauge will be more than enough... and a 40amp fuse..

If you cut corners on the install... you can have 7G rainbow reference speakers start to sing out static, alt whine, buzzing noises, loose ground crackles, etc....

So slowly gather a knowledge base... talk to local ppl who are into audio.. ask stuff here... and have fun!
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #8
Banned

Send a message via AIM to snikwad
put that $1000 on your credit card and get ready.
i say crossover, upgrade all speakers, one nice 4 channel amp to push em.
one 2 channel amp for 2 10s. in a ported box. one 1 farad capacitor. some wiring. maybe a head unit, but i wouldnt change it.
http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/
snikwad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #9
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
Re: Audio Help for $1,000

Quote:
Originally posted by pdqgp

What can I do for say $1,000 that will add a decent amp and speakers to my ride? No subs in a box or anything please. I like bass, but would rather work with what I have.

Brands, sizes, etc...and info on how the amp(s) would drive it all in conjunction with my NAVI system would be great. Not sure if the Navi interferes with what I can do.

Insight appreciated.
Quote:
Originally posted by snikwad put that $1000 on your credit card and get ready.
i say crossover, upgrade all speakers, one nice 4 channel amp to push em.
one 2 channel amp for 2 10s. in a ported box. one 1 farad capacitor. some wiring. maybe a head unit, but i wouldnt change it.
http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/

Reading post carefully.................. ownage
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #10

no war, just a discussion
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:52 PM   #11
Banned

yeah i guess i should have read the whole thing.
but ok, loose, the sub, and amps. get infinty, or MB quart or polks components for your front door, and some 3 way 6x9s for the rar deck. one nice alpine or rockfort fostgate amp. make sure them speaker can handle about 200w that should give you enough thuimp and bump. with that being the case, you wont need such a big capicitor, get a smaller one, they cant hurt, i dont know if 7th gens have alternator problems, but think of it as insurnace fro your alt and battery.
im not sure how factory navis work, but id assume that they still power out the same way, all you'll need then is one of those kits that steps down the power from the headunit form speaker level to line level.
it may be easier to find an amp that accepts speaker level inputs, but the sound quality is better if you step it down. plus speaker level amps are harder to rarer than regular line level input amps.
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #12
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

1/2 of my S*it is from Best Buy? hmm, can u point it out? maybe just the Kickers.....
and u gave your opinions and i gave mine. so, dont knock me b/c i dont wanna buy my system from best buys lol
and i said if he wanted to go pure SQ, to let me know, or an entry level sound system. damn, i'm just lookin to help, calm down
like i said, i dont knock anything i dont know anything about
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:57 PM   #13
Banned

hey you guys ever heard of a speaker brand called "KOILER", im getting 2 alloy cone 10 inch dual voicecoil subs, 800w max for $80. he says its a new small time brand. but damn they are heavy as ****, and look great. ever heard of em.
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #14
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

I say get some line level drivers, an Audio Control 6XS, a small 10" sub, front components only and an amp for em
maybe CDT's from thezeb.com and a nice SQ amp
shouldnt run u more than $1000. good luck
(by the way, i have heard the above: 6xs, diamond audio hex's, and they sound amazing)
and u wont even need crazy 6x9's since u want the soundstage from the front

OH, and unless u make kickpanels yourself, dont go the kickpanel route, i did, and it takes up alot of leg room
my .02
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #15
Banned

chill fellas, you guys dont help noone when you argue. help the dude out and quite fussing
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #16
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

its just a mature discussion lol
truce!
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #17

TRUCE!

Last edited by smokedoutv6; October 28th, 2003 at 01:27 PM..
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #18
Banned

yeah thats why when im home in NY i dont hang with yall Jersey cats.
j/k j/k
dont go off on me now.
but yeah thats true, i guess ive been down here too long. kinda like me when i first registered on here.
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #19
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

haha, never saw your longgg response bro
anyway, its all good
this is what i say to help him out

CDT 6.5" comps, $150
2channel amp, $250
Line drivers, xovers, eq, etc: $200
Wiring, materials, mdf: $125
10"/12" sub, box, amp: $275 or Basslink (or take some $$ from $200 for line drivers, x-overs, etc)

all the above equal $1000 and plenty of room to move monies around

Last edited by Loulax07; October 28th, 2003 at 01:53 PM..
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:04 PM   #20
8th World Wonder

Re: Audio Help for $1,000

Quote:
Originally posted by pdqgp

Insight appreciated.
Don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you this or that is the best, let your own ears be the judge. Go to a few shops that have demo boards and listen to different set ups. Sure it's nice to get some live in car demos, and once again, msot shops will have owner/installers cars ready to show.

If you are looking to just upgrade you factory speakers. A nice 4 channel amp with some coax's all around would suit you well. You really don't need to dive into seperates with your limited budget. I would think a nice 50x4 amp and some coax in the doors and rear deck would set you back about $700 tops with install.
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #21

LOL damn, i went and changed it oo soon i guess.

how good do the CDTs fit in the stock location? you need to make spacers right? I was looking at a slim focal comp thats only like 1 7/8 deep. I dont want o be bothered with spacers and sh*t. Have you heard the focals? I've heard good things about them but never heard them 1st hand.

For $1000 he has alot of options. I would just get some 6.5s and some 6x9s for the back and put a nice 4ch amp on them. Thats just me.

BTW: I dont even have asystem in my car at the moment LOL, i got robbed a year or so agao so i'm just starting to rebuild now. so far i have a Pioneer Premier p850 (i think its silver with the fold down face) and a infiniti perfect 12. I need an amp right now and i've narrowed it down between RF (i can get the power 550 for $200) or hifonics zues (i know theres a few zues amps, buts the 500w 2ch if i'm not mistake) Not sure which one i want to go with though. Loula any sug?? or which amp would you go with?

people reading this thread are going to be real confused, a minute ago we're at "war" now we're sharing thoughts LOL
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #22
**** Katrina. RIP Accord.

Send a message via AIM to N.O. Accorderz
i would suggest u to get an aftermarkert cd player...nuttin fancy though...lets say 250 for the cd player...components roughly 250...amp about 300...wiring bout 100...there you go 900 bucks and u have the extra 100 to pay someone to do it if you can't...the rears you can run them off the aftermarket deck if u decide to go with one...the cdts u will have to make spacers...i'm selling my CDT classics and a memphis audio [email protected] 300shipped...the Classics are brand new...let me know i can take some pics of them...
N.O. Accorderz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #23
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

NO- that set would go good in his car,good price, and would sound great

smokedoutv6- yeah, the focals i had, the utopia's, were wayy too deep and also 5 1/4" (in kix). so i decided to get shallower and 6.5's (in door), and since i heard em b4 in an 03 av6, i got the diamonds.
i used a 1/2" mdf spacer: using that, with the ring and woofer equalls the depth of the oem speaker/basket. usin an mdf is no biggee, i'll be postin pix on sat/sun.
is the amp u want for your sub or for your comps?
As far as knowing if the cdt's need a spacer, u can look up the specs on mine, Diamond Audio S600s, knowing that mine needs a 1/2" and compare the depth to the CDT's

Last edited by Loulax07; October 28th, 2003 at 05:02 PM..
Old October 28th, 2003, 05:01 PM   #24
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

pdqgp - well, u got many ideas here. let us know which way u r leaning and with our wealth of knowledge, u can avoid mistakes that some of us have made thru our experiences lol
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #25

WOW!

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad to see there are plenty of options and so many folks with ideas. I've not modded out the sound in a car for almost 20 years (showing my age)

What I'm after is clean, true sound, not boom...or just boom should I say. I like bass, but not the kind that booms outside the car. I also prefer to keep the stock speaker openings and sizes.

I wouldn't mind a small self powered sub if it would work, but unlike my SUV, there's not much room inside to hide something. My trailblazer had some great 8's in the doors, but the Boze was a little muddy. I looked into a nice self powered Kenwood at one time and it was small enough to hide in the rear of it in the emergency kit area. Still miss that sound system though.

I agree that perhaps a single amp with some nice speaker upgrades in place of the stock ones would prolly work.

What would you all do with the stock dash units? I know off-glass, some can be too bright and I don't want that.

tim

Quote:
Originally posted by Loulax07
pdqgp - well, u got many ideas here. let us know which way u r leaning and with our wealth of knowledge, u can avoid mistakes that some of us have made thru our experiences lol
Old October 28th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #26
**** Katrina. RIP Accord.

Send a message via AIM to N.O. Accorderz
you won't regret upgrading to an aftermarket cd player...i been there and done that...i had a line out convertor on my stock cd player on my 6th gen hooked up to an old school kendwood 2channel and some sony 6 1/2 fullrange...till today i'm still shocked how the alpine/memphis/cdt sounds... btw i don't care for bass either...i have some MBQ midbasses ima put in the kicks
N.O. Accorderz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2003, 10:51 PM   #27

N.O., he has navi so he's not going to change the radio.
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #28

i had focal utopia 3 way system and polykevlar 2 way system...Focal is a good component system...the midrange sounds very nice and clear but the tweeters sounds way too bright for my taste......Focal released a new component system..it's Focal 165K2P...i heard it sounds better than the previous system.

Rockford Fanatic Q series is pretty good.
CDT and Adire Audio also good.
MB Quart Q series is good also..but they have the same tweeters problem as focal has.

i am using Dynaudio 360 3 way system and 2 way system atm...i like them a lot.

i am not telling which one the best..i am just giving my opinions about speakers that i have had.... diff people has diff taste.
Si-Tuyul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #29

oh yeah...u can use 6.5" comp system on the front but u will need a 1/2 " thick spacer.
Si-Tuyul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally posted by Si-Tuyul
oh yeah...u can use 6.5" comp system on the front but u will need a 1/2 " thick spacer.
will the 1/2" space allow for the stock grill to be used over the speaker?

here's what I'm thinking of doing:
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...threadid=15303
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in