Which amp to choose from? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2003, 11:42 AM   #1

Which amp to choose from?

Choices are:

Hifonics Zues - 2ch 500w
Rockford Fosgate Power 551s

it will either be pushing 1 infinity perfect 12 or possibly 2 (undecided)

lemme know what you guys think.

Or, if you think of something better feel free to let me know.

Thanks.
smokedoutv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2003, 12:01 PM   #2
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
why dont u get a mono amp?
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2003, 12:47 PM   #3

i was thinking about that but i figured the 2ch would be more flexible.

I dont see an advantage of a mono sub amp? maybei just dont understand the advantages, can you explain?

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:54 PM   #4

bump, come one wheres L_fty when you need him?
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Old Member

ur running only one sub,
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:52 PM   #6

not necessarily, i'm hooking up 1 sub to start and to see how that sounds. If i'm happy with 1 sub then yes i'm running 1, if not i'ma dding a 2nd sub and running it parallel to the 2nd sub.
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:55 PM   #7
Booooooom

gettin a mono amp is better, trust me. it will give u more power, n more flexibility when wiring multiple subs as the impedance can go lower (hifonics should go to 1ohm)
Old October 31st, 2003, 03:20 PM   #8
Old Member

Get a single 10 or 12 Kicker L7 and run it off a mono amp
Old November 3rd, 2003, 07:30 AM   #9

L_fty i'm bumping this againin cus i'm looking for your input......and could you explain to me what is the advantage of a mono sub amp over a 2 channel bridged?
Old November 3rd, 2003, 08:21 AM   #10
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
Only sonic difference that is even apparant would be the Class transformer in the amp circuit design. The parallel transistors that push/pull the speaker cone... "so they say" Class AB amps..which are found in multi channel type amps... tend to give tighter more controlled bass because of the amp design but at the expense of slightly warmer chassis.

Mono amps are a single channel amp designed to pump out bass... they tend to give sloppy.. "or so they say" bass.. but power is power and design shouldnt affect sound quality to a point to change your mind away from Class D to class A/B if that was true then the amp itself had serious flaws....

So in the end... make sure you have the box and sub matched with each other... and then look for an amp either Class D mono or CLass A/B 2 -channel that can give the sub it's rated RMS power easily...

so to rephrase:

Mono-class D: higher effiecency at the expense of control
Multi-channel class A/B: lower effieciency at the expense of greater heat

All this is subjective... I miyself use a lowly JL audio 250/1 mono amp... the amp doesnt tax my alt... and still pound out tight bass... but building my box to the right specs for my Edesign K series also helped in getting that proper sound. If I switch out the JL with a .. ummm Zapco Studio 2 channel(keeps the same wattage output)... I'd expect a slightly better control of the speaker with a little tighter sound... then again someone else might not perceive any sound change and another would say "daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam it totally hits now yoooo"

hope this helps!
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 3rd, 2003, 08:37 AM   #11

yeah it does, thanks. I finally think i understand the mono vs. 2 ch thing! damn that took me long enough!

OK now let me ask you a question..... now i think i'm going to stick with the 2ch amp over a mono sub amp....

I also think i might not go with tthe hifonics, i know they used to be very good, but i'm unsure of how goood they are today, but the same could be said for rockford.....

I'm now thinking of the following amps.... Us acoustics 2150, bridged it will give me 450x1 @ 12.9 volts, or the rockford which would give me 550x1 @ 14.4 volts.

Now obviosly the USacou. is cheaper and "on paper" it look like a far better amp, what do you think? Have you heard anything about either? I have a friend with a all show M3 loaded up with rockford, and i know alot of other with just a lil box & amp that are using rockford and they sound good. My gut is telling me to give US acoustics a try but i dont know....your insight would be great!
Old November 3rd, 2003, 08:43 AM   #12
tastes like donkeyballs

If you are going with the pentagon shaped older Rockfords... I'd take that beast anyday over the US acoustics... if it's the bestbuy crap nowadays.. then I'd stick with the US acoustics...
Old November 3rd, 2003, 08:48 AM   #13

thats funny you say that cus a friend is selling his older rockford, i think its a 500a2 or something like that maybe even a 360a2? he want $200 and i could get a new one for basically the same price, you think i should pick it up? Or go with a new US acousitc? have you ever heard US A hooked up?
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:00 AM   #14
tastes like donkeyballs

The A2 series from the older RF were awesome... they were meant for pushing subs...

If the amp is in excellent working condition... and you can bring the price down another $50... that would be very sweet. very very sweet.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:23 AM   #15

well i know the guy is a "reliable" friend where i dont think he would d*ck me on the amp. I know he has had the amp for awhile now i think he was pushing 2 kicker or rockford 12s. Decissions decissions!! i'm friggin torn right now! I usually never will pick used over new but since i'm unsure about the USa quality i just dont know.

Let me talk to him and see if he'll do $150, if he says yes then i think i'll go with it.

thanks for all your help L_fty
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:32 AM   #16
tastes like donkeyballs

if he agrees.. you'll be more than happy with your decision. I used to have a RF120a2.. little dinky amp pushing a single 15inch older RF punch amp... box was a pre-fabbed 1.75cu ft eBay box. LOL the damn thing was LOUD and rattled my coupe for that one year I had it. I had gains all the way up.. the damn thing got hot..as all older RFs did... (marketing ppl wanted a cool looking heat sink.. yet the heat sink in engineering sense didnt dissipate heat that well).... but nonetheless the amp kept going strong and trouble free. I sold the whole setup locally at the end of that year. I miss that little guy

glad I could be of help.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:05 AM   #17

ol' school sh*t is where its at! i used to have 2 kciker 15s w/ a PPI (sedona series, cheap) and it used to pound!! was the loudest system i've ever had. After that i figured this system stuff is easy and sold it and started over.....nothing was ever as good.

My most recent system was 2 10 polk DBs w/ a JBL 400. I was really happy with it....then it got robbed (oh well they bought me my truck ) but now that i'm starting to build up a system again, i have no idea whats good or bad? Such a PITA!

Like i said i'm going to talk to him if not i'm going to go with the us acoustics, i've been searching all morning trying to find reviews on it, and they seem to be pretty good.
Old November 7th, 2003, 08:06 AM   #18

L_fty, just to keep you up-to-date....i got my amp from UPS yesterday, i paid $150 from crutchfield (crutchfield also told me that the USB is the newer version of the USX series, they said the USX is blue with the light strip, while the USB is black with a LED) with a 3 year warranty. I havent hooked it up yet but after a visual (which i realize means nothing) inspection i have to say i'm quiet impressed! the amp is very solid feeling, not cheap and "tinny" feeling. It has some weight to it too, it doesnt feel hollow like some cheap amps i've seen. So far it looks like a GREAT deal at $150, after install on saturday i'll know a little more, but so far so good.

Old November 7th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #19
tastes like donkeyballs

check out the torroid on that thing.. for the price the internal electronic components arent bad... the amps tend to be noisy when used with full range speakers their older USB chassis would ground with the SYM-OP portion of the circuit board and induce noise... I mean c'mon electronics 101... but in your case you shouldnt have to worry about that hopefully with this newer version.. but remember to ground that very carefully and keep the chassis away from metal or thin carpet.
Old November 7th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #20

OK WTF is a torroid? LOL you have more advanced knowledge than i do in audio dude.
I'm eventually going to put a lil amp rack in the back, for now i'm gonna scmuck screw it to the carpert over the tire well (all wires are running in there) So it should be far enough away from the metal. Yeah i seriously hope i dont have a noise problem ,i really hate that, but hey if i do have any problems i have like a 90 day money back deal with crutchfield, they even pay for return shipping!, hopefully i wont need it.

Oh and the rockford my friend is sellig is the OLD oval shaped one, i think that one was before the pyramid shaped one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in