Alterstart alternator install....... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #1

Alterstart alternator install.......

OK, I read the FAQ on replacing an alternator, but was wondering if anyone that has actually done the replacement on a V6 could respond.

I need to know exactly what belt to get to replace the stocker.

Its clear that the pulley on the new alt. is smaller than stock, so I could either get the pulleys swapped or get a different belt. I assume if I get the pulleys swapped, Ill actually be losing amperage because it will be spinning slower, so Id rather get a new belt if I can. Should I just get a brand new stock belt and hope it fits? or is there a better replacement size?

Thanks!!!
-Chris
chrisexv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to snikwad
when they did mine they thought they would have to exchange the pulley but luckily it fit. it should be a fairly easy swap. ask
Ei-ccord.
snikwad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 5th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #3

OK, so I dont need to buy a new belt?

Anyone have the specs on the stock belt just in case? Then I could get a shorter one if need be so my car isnt stranded for a couple days without a part.

Thanks!!!
-Chris

Old November 6th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #4
eon
i see london, i see france....

Send a message via AIM to eon
does having the UR pulley make a difference? because i have the UR 3 set, and my alternator is dying... so i'll need to buy a new alt. should i keep the stock pulley that comes with the new alternator, or replace it with the UR... and if i do, would i be losing amps?
eon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #5
Just a peter.

Send a message via ICQ to illusion
Quote:
Originally posted by eon on November 7th, 2003 at 04:44 AM

does having the UR pulley make a difference? because i have the UR 3 set, and my alternator is dying... so i'll need to buy a new alt. should i keep the stock pulley that comes with the new alternator, or replace it with the UR... and if i do, would i be losing amps?
Depends what you want, the UR pully will underdrive this alternator as it's much bigger(it's the same size as stock), what that means is you'll have to be at a higher RPM to get the full output of the alternator. The alterstart comes with a slightly smaller pully to overdrive the alternator, so you have more juice at idle, which helps keep your light from dimming at a stoplight. So it's what's important to you, maybe a 1/2hp loss and not having your lights dim? or 1/2 gain and need to be at a higher rpm for the alternator to be pumping it's max juice? Most of the gain is from the UR crank pulley. I just have the crank and PS pulleys and left the alterstart pulley on the alternator and everything is happy, the UR pulleys need a slightly longer belt, and a smaller alt pulley needs slightly smaller, so they evened eachother out
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #6

FYI -

after way too many trips to my local Carquest, Ive found that the correct belt for use with an Alterstart alternator (and the smaller pulley that comes on it) is Gates # K060455.

Its a 45.5" long belt. Stock is 46.13", and with the smaller pulley I could pull the stock one off by hand. I also tried even smaller belts, but we wont go there

-Chris
Old November 8th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #7
bleh

Quote:
Originally posted by illusion on November 7th, 2003 at 02:34 PM

the UR pulleys need a slightly longer belt, and a smaller alt pulley needs slightly smaller, so they evened eachother out
just wondering what exactly you used with the UR crank and ps pulley. stock belt?
frank828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #8
Just a peter.

Send a message via ICQ to illusion
yep stock one. I got the UR pullies long after the alterstart, and sat there looking at them for a long while. The PS was slightly bigger(wish I had a set of calipers at the time, but I'd guess 3/8" larger diameter) and I just happened to have the stock belt hanging in the garage so I gave it a whack, it was a tad loose(maybe 1/2" when you pull it up and down in the middle of the belt) but I get no squeeks and it's been happy so far.
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in