Install Error - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #1

Install Error

When I was installing my Polk component midrange in the passenger door, I accidently scratched the cone with a screwdriver. It left a 1/2 in vertical mark on the side of the cone. The cone wasn't penetrated though. Any idea if this will effect sq

Last edited by V-Tectonic; November 6th, 2003 at 03:10 PM..
V-Tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #2
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

Send a message via AIM to Loulax07
i've had cones scratched b4, but never penetrated also
sound remained the same
how deep is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe - Nighthawk Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loulax07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #3

Hmm... I guess I would have to say that it's a superficial scratch, but you can feel it when you rub your finger across.

Old November 6th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #4
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

play it
then play them both, fade to left and right, see if they sound the same
if they do, ur good to go
Old November 6th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #5

Thanks Loulax. I'll play it as soon as I install the amp and crossovers. Maybe next weekend.

Man I'll tell you, when I scratched that cone it was like to the tenth power.
Old November 6th, 2003, 04:18 PM   #6
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

yeah, i bet
but think of this, better scratchin that than your car
i scratched my rear numper with a screw that was stickin out of my amp rack when i was assembling it
ugh, i just thought about it and cringed
Old November 6th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #7
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
You have to remember one thing.. about scratches, abrasions... they dont have to be deep to affect the long run of the woofer. The location of the scratch will be the tell-tale sign of the future of the driver. If the scratch is near the surround... more torsion of the rubber/glue/cone area will be in play as the driver pounds out the midbass tones... if the scratch is at the apex center near the dustcup.. you're good to go with high power handling. Scratches anywhere else on the surface of the cone not near the surround.. and the rigid surface tension of the cone material.. whether it be coated carbon, coated paper, poly, zonc, mag, etc... will allow the cone maintain is lattice surface stability.
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2003, 07:49 AM   #8
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

along with what L_fty said, as in all products, any damage to it may compromise the integrity and life-span of a product
it is you, the consumer, that needs to look at the damage, evaluate it and decide for yourself what to do with it
Old November 7th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #9

Thanks guys. I guess the driver will be ok then. The scratch is probably .5 to .75 in away from the surround. L_fty, your point about the surround brought something else to mind.... The Polk's don't require MDF spacers. I just cut the bottom out of the stock basket. However, the spacing of the existing screw holes on the basket was such that it brought the screws as close as possible to the inside of the speaker's screw holes. In other words, the screw heads are pushing on the rubber ring that is just outside of the surround (hope this makes sense). The displacement of this rubber ring causes the surround to bunch up slightly by each screw(4 evenly spaced screws). The question that came to mind was whether this would have a deleterious effect on performance and/ or longevity. My perhaps over simplified analysis.... Longevity...No....As the cone travels to its maximums, the extra slack will not limit travel.. Therefore no extra forces on the surround. Performance... maybe... if the cone is dependent on the surroung for lateral stability, the extra slack may cause undesired movement. Whatcha think?
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:43 AM   #10
tastes like donkeyballs

LOL... that brings up my story of the horror of the adire driver and the sheet metal screws that actually destroyed the glue's bonding strength of the rubber to metal outer basket... in your case if the rubber isnt fatigued too much...(if you see excess rubber wrinkling, rubber stretching, rubber thinning) then you should be fine... the glue will hole.. but I would as a precaution add a dab of epoxy to the inside of the 4 screw heads.. this will counteract any forces that come into play that would want to tear the bond between the rubber and metal...

In my woofer's case.. the glue itself was so poor.. that the surround pealed off like subburned skin... it was sad.. they hav recently used a different epoxy you would think they would have done this to their manufacturing process earlier..
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #11

i've poked a screwdriver through my brand new woofer when trying to do a rush install. There was a gash in the rubber surrond right near the cone, i just used a lil silicone to seal it and threw it in anyway. It sounded a little different but it held up pretty well. Now its the *sshole that robbed me problem.
smokedoutv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #12
tastes like donkeyballs

F'n thieves...
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #13

ahh i dont sweat it, i have insurance, they paid me $3k for my pioneer radio, 2 polk 10s, and 2 JBL amps (the whole thing cost me MAYBE $600 out of my pocket). Besides i bought my truck with the insurance money :-)

L_fty did you see my follow-up post to "which amp should i choose?"
smokedoutv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #14
Can I call myself OG yet?

too much technical talk here. . .if it were me talking, i would say this, "does the speaker go 'boom boom'?"

"yeah"

"youre good to go"
Old November 7th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #15

...AV6Driver....I think were at opposite extremes.... you with the ADD, me with the OCD.
Old November 7th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #16

L_fty.... used some silicone RTV aroung the heads.... All I had at the time. It should remain flexible though. We'll see. BTW... I went with the Emerson Mobile amp ($35).... I'll let you know whether its total crap or not. That thing has more heat sink than a friggin Cray Supercomputer. Either its incredibly inefficient or they're very conservative engineers. For the price, its worth the experiment. I do plan to Dremel off the "Emerson" from the "Emerson Mobile" badge.
Old November 7th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #17
tastes like donkeyballs

Emerson makes toasters too.
Old November 7th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #18

Perfect, I'll just throw a couple of pop tarts on top of the amp b4 I leave for work in the morning and toss in some cheesy bass CD... Breakfast on the run....ghetto style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in