Polk DB690 6x9's are they good? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #1
moDDerator (wannabe)

Polk DB690 6x9's are they good?

i am gettin these for cheap possib but i want a good 6x9 with nice BASS output!! are these good for that??? please let me know asap as i am meetin this guy this afternoon! thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
corrado85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #2
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
from the specs(not much to work with) ... they look like a everyday normal 6x9 speaker... I dont know how well they would do against the well respected typr Rs and kappas ppl tend to go for. Polk hasnt really made a name for itself as a car audio phenom.. but they have had strides in the home audio by using Vifa drivers in their home speakers... if the price is cheap, I say give them a shot and give us a review!

specs(crutchfield.com):
Polk built the db Series speakers to deliver the powerful, detailed sound of premium speakers, but without the big price tag! And check out the cutting-edge looks textured woofer cones and MOMO-inspired, wheel-style grilles add the right touch if you're customizing your ride.

The db690 6"x9" speaker combines a polymer/mica composite woofer with a rubber surround to keep the bass crisp and clean. You'll enjoy the smooth high-frequency output of the liquid-cooled, silk/polymer composite 3/4" dome tweeter. A 1" silk driver covers the crucial midrange area for uncolored reproduction of vocals and instruments. <-- silk tweet is good to have

The db690 speakers handle plenty of power (up to 100 watts RMS), yet they'll sound great powered by your aftermarket receiver. Instead of the high-pass filter found in most car speakers, a built-in 2-way crossover network sends the appropriate frequencies to each driver for cleaner sound and better imaging.

Key Features:
polymer/mica composite woofer
butyl rubber surround
liquid-cooled, silk/polymer composite 3/4" dome tweeter
1" silk/polymer composite midrange driver
2-way crossover network
recommended power range 10-100 watts RMS
peak power handling 300 watts
frequency response 35-22,000 Hz <--- yeah OK!
sensitivity 93 dB <-- nice effeciency
top-mount depth 3-3/16"
1-year warranty

all in all... not bad... from just the specs.. I'd give these a little above average.
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #3
moDDerator (wannabe)

well i got em for $40 NEW so wont hurt i guess thanks man!

Old November 17th, 2003, 07:12 AM   #4
Who's yo daddy?

My .02 thus far on DB690's

I installed a set last Friday night. The first thing I noticed is a loss of maybe half an octave in the low freq area (bass.) This bothered me at first, but it's not that big a deal the more I listen to them.

The soundstage is really good in the OE stock config on the 7th gen sedan. I've now "enveloped" myself in the soundstage with the new 6x9's. I.E. - I now feel as though I'm sitting in the "middle of the performing group" because of the additional mids/tweets in the rear speakers. I'm still debating whether I like this or not. On some content the rear tweets are outperforming the OE fronts, this is definately a bad thing. Might be able to overcome this with a nice set of Polk tweeters for the front dash.

The midbass is shall we say "punchier." It's very tight, and well defined. I think Polk did an excellent job on these speakers in the mid to low freq. response sound (at least my ears like it.)

I tried to fit a set of EX369's in the rear deck, but the OE grills will not clear (without heavy modding.) I don't want to cut/hack the rear deck grills, so these are out. Damn shame too, as Crutchfield has them for $99. Great speaker for the money (I have both the 369's and matching 6.5's in my mom's 00 SE sedan.) They sound wonderfull on the OE HU.

All-in-all, I like the DB690's thus far. I'm a bit dissapointed in the loss of low frequency response compared to the OE stock 6x9's (even though the specs for the 690's state 35Hz.) Usually Polk is fairly straight forward on freq-response specs. I wonder if they mean 35Hz @ -9db?! lol.....

We shall see over the next few weeks if these are "keepers."

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #5
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
get the momo's
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:16 AM   #6
moDDerator (wannabe)

shoot i still have yet to install em... but for $40 i cant complain.. as long as they keep up their 100rms true i am happy cuz i dont want any distortins when i turn the volume loud!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in