WHats the diff btween these 2 pakages on ebay?? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GreenMachine02
WHats the diff btween these 2 pakages on ebay??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2442902080

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2443821171

i really want a set of phillips but dont wanna pay full price for them, culd someone give me input on if i shuld go with one of these??
GreenMachine02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to formatsee
depends on how much you want to spend. supervision are aiight but i heard a few posts that they turn green after a year. plus they got blue tint bulb, less brightness but if you want color and don't wanna spend 450+, i think its good for ya. i personally don't wanna buy something that's 300 and have to spend more later on.

the other auction that claim to be philips, which i don't think the bulb is true philips. correct me if i'm wrong, aren't philips 6k bulbs clear coated?

i ordered a philips 6k kit and its coming soon and i can't be happier with my decision. i ordered a cheap one off ebay and sold it 2 weeks later on ebay.

they have been other threads about supervision HIDs, SEARCH and see what DTB have to say. he's GOD of HIDs.. haha... j/k
formatsee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #3
DTB

Re: WHats the diff btween these 2 pakages on ebay??

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMachine02
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2442902080

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2443821171

i really want a set of phillips but dont wanna pay full price for them, culd someone give me input on if i shuld go with one of these??
To make this as short as possible, I would not buy the first kit due to a poorer quality system. Blue tinted HID bulbs are IMO not the best way to go if you want (TRUE) HIDs. 6000K will not produce 3500 lumens of light. A 4100k doesn't produce 3500 Lm. Also, HIDs are not 100% efficient. 55 watt Halogen bulbs are 20% efficient, a Philips 4100K HID is 91.2% efficient and a Philips 6000K is 68.6% efficient. The 2nd E-Bay choice is a better system than the first E-bay choice just by the efficient ratio alone, but the price is higher. But remember blue tinted bulbs reduce usable light. If you want the blue light then the first would work, but I would bet anything that the first choice is actually higher than 6000k. I would suspect the true color temperature is around 7000k or higher which is going to produce even less light than a 6000K.

This quote that I made on the other HID thread..

jim-rock, it can get complex, but it is really simple. Don't let it confuse you.. The higher the Color Temp is, the less usuable light you will have, meaning the bluer the light is, the less you will be able to see. 4xxxk is usually the best bet being it will give you the most light. If you go with a 7xxxK, you will not have as much light as you might expect, actually only slightly brighter than your OEM halogen bulb. If your priority is the color, then the 7xxxk through infinitiy K will be your best bet, but the cops will be all over you about the blueness. Too much of anything is not good. 6000k would be the highest I would go if I had to go higher.

1st, you need to know that, "Lumens" is a measurement of the amount of light. Lumens is a measurement of the total light coming from a light source. The higher the number the more usuable light there will be.

4100k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
4100k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
6000k D2S Philips = 2400lm (lumens) actually 5800k
6000k D2R Philips = 2000lm (lumens) actually 5800k
7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)

Standard OEM halogen 55W 9006(HB4) = 1100lm (lumens)

Osram Sylvania has an HID bulb with higher color temperature as well. They call it D-HC (Discharge-High Color) HID, with 5400K and 2600lm bright

Some kit suppliers advertise with 7000K and higher. This can be suspective as a lower than OEM quality bulb has been used. No OEM bulb manufacturer makes any versions with more than ~6000K. So either it is 6000K, or the bulb might have been painted. Painting bulbs decreases brightness and in most cases decreases life. The Other brand is probably a Korean brand that doesn't stand up to the test of time as a Philips or an Osram bulb does..

Hope this helps,
DTB

PS, a true Philips 6000k bulb has a purple wire insulator. If it doesn't have this, then it is a fake. Philips 6000k is AKA Ultinons.

Last edited by DTB; November 20th, 2003 at 10:42 AM..
DTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 20th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #4

what about this....

what about the hella ballasts, heres an auction for them on ebay, they claim to send 8300k mecca tuner buls with the kit....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2443916923
ballaticious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2003, 08:02 AM   #5
DTB

Re: what about this....

Quote:
Originally posted by ballaticious
what about the hella ballasts, heres an auction for them on ebay, they claim to send 8300k mecca tuner buls with the kit....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2443916923
"IF" the ballast are truely Hella, then they are good ballast. I have personally never seen a hella ballast that looks like that (the sticker), but that doesn't mean that it is not a Hella. It definately looks like a Hella Ballast. Hella and Philips are the same exact ballast. I wouldn't buy the system, because of the bulbs. 8000K bulbs are garbage (don't flame me), but that is true. This system cost $ 339.99, but isn't worth anymore than $250.00 only if the ballast are true Hella. You could buy the system and trash the bulbs immediately and buy some 4100k or 6000K, but that is going to be more expensive to do, so just buy a good system from the start and save that extra money for something else.

Vendors constantly mislead people while selling their products. They show the car with 8000K blue light on the car, then show the 4100k light on the street. Very misleading advertising.

See photos below:

DTB
DTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in