Cleaning inside headlamp?? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to AccorDance
Cleaning inside headlamp??

Hi guys I had my DIY clear headlamp for like 2 years now and recently it starts to leak and fogging up so I'm thinking about open them again and reseal it, one thing I want to do is to clean the chrome part inside the headlamp cuz I can see the dry water marks on it, I'm just curious what is the best stuff I can use to clean it so I don't damage the finish of the chrome housing part? also I want to do a cleaner install this time so is there any stuff that can remove the old silicon that I had around the headlights?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
AccorDance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2003, 09:55 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NikonAV6
Well, the chrome is very delicate, so you really shouldnt rub it with anything because it dulls so easily. But before you open them up, you could use the method from the lighting FAQ page http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/ I did this once, and it seemed to work well. Get a couple of gallons of distilled water, and a bottle of dishwashing liquid. Fill the headlamp up halfway or so with the distilled water and a put in few drops of the soap, cover the bulb holes and shake it up for a minute or two. Then keep filling them up, shaking, and dumping it out until there are no soap bubbles left. 2 gallons was enough for both headlights. Then since you're opening them up anyway, drying won't be a problem. Just make sure it's distilled water, otherwise you'll get water spots and possibly calcium residue. This should remove any dirt buildup in there, and I doubt they're dirty enough to need any wiping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NikonAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #3
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

Send a message via AIM to lowincash Send a message via MSN to lowincash
i need to clean inside my headlights too. it has too much dust inside how would you go about drying the inside w/o opening the headlight?
lowincash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 20th, 2003, 06:26 AM   #4
YES IM VIETNAMESE!

Send a message via AIM to vt4lifecuf
thanks for da link..learn alot
vt4lifecuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2003, 10:14 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to USDMcord
If i use hair dryer to dry it, will it leave any stains?

I just did it with tap water and it sucked.

thanks for your tip. I should try that sometimes.
USDMcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by lowincash on November 20th, 2003 at 01:17 AM

i need to clean inside my headlights too. it has too much dust inside how would you go about drying the inside w/o opening the headlight?
A hair dryer or fan helps, but I guess they would dry on their own after a few days just sitting there with the bulb holes open. Actually I'm lucky to have forced air heating vents in my house so I just left each light sitting on a vent overnight and that took care of it. On the FAQ page they also say to finish off rinsing by filling it with a mixture of rubbing or isopropyl alcohol and distilled water which will also help them to dry faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 20th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #7

Nikon - how are the projecters coming dude? I'm thinking about getting some 5 series projectors and giving it a try. which housings are you using ? any tips or methods for the install ?
maybe u can help me out
Hayden 403 tranny cooler
Self-clear headlights
Acura Tl-s & steering wheel, HIDS and Rims
Aem Short Ram, SPE TB spacer, Racing Brake rotors
Comptech Exhaust & Sways
Comptech Springs w/Koni Yellows
New Acura TSX E-brake

BigRussV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to AccorDance
Thanks NikonAV6 I'm going To try the distilled water thing and see if it works, one thing I'm concerned about is that I have HID system right now, after I removed the headlight can I just leave the bulbs hang there on the bumper?

Thanks
AccorDance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRussV6 on November 20th, 2003 at 04:46 PM

Nikon - how are the projecters coming dude? I'm thinking about getting some 5 series projectors and giving it a try. which housings are you using ? any tips or methods for the install ?
maybe u can help me out
Hey what's up man? Well I haven't been able to start yet actually. I ordered a set of e46 BMW/Audi TT projectors last week, and the seller told me they were e-code. When I got them on Monday, they were US spec so I returned them. Now I've decided to go with e-code Valeo units, which are found in the previous gen Audi A4/S4. Now I'm waiting to hear back from that seller, but he hasn't responded yet. Hopefully I'll get them before Thanksgiving. I met up with Euston (starcrap12) on tues night and bought his G2 projectors, so that's what I'll be using.

I'm still selling the original set of projectors that I bought which are Hella bi-xenon units, found in the Audi A6 and BMW 5 series. They will be too big for the G2 housings, but they should be good if you wanna use OEM housings. And they kick serious ass since they're bi-xenon. If you're interested, the price is $140.

Old November 20th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by AccorDance on November 20th, 2003 at 08:52 PM

Thanks NikonAV6 I'm going To try the distilled water thing and see if it works, one thing I'm concerned about is that I have HID system right now, after I removed the headlight can I just leave the bulbs hang there on the bumper?

Thanks
Can't you unplug the HID capsules and set them inside? ...unless they're permanently wired to the ballasts. But as long as they don't get wet, touched, or moved around, you could leave them hanging there I guess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in