Help me pick out my system! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2003, 02:43 PM   #1
Tofu Delivery Boy

Send a message via AIM to The_Tofu_Shop
Please can yuo help me with a few questions!

Okay, after getting my new head unit installed, its evident that my speakers arent the best quality. so i want to upgrade my speakers and get a sub or two. any ways, i have been looking around and i have a few questions:
1. What is the difference between 2 ohm subs and 4 ohm subs? Which of the two is better?
2. What is the difference between 2/3/4 way speakers, and what is significant about a coaxial speaker? Which is best?
3. Any suggestions on what brands to go after for good quality in subs and amps?
4. What levelof amp will i need (i.e. 400w, 1000w?) for a system with a CDA 9815 head unit, 4 new speakers, and 2 12" subs in the trunk?
5. Should i get a second battery just for the system?
6. How much would Dynamat-ing the trunk and each of the speakers cost? (i mean total, with installation)

I think thats it, any help you guys can offer would be great. thanks guys! (any discounts you can get me on products or installation would be great too )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Andy 2
SoCal Pride

G-Spec Points: 40

Last edited by The_Tofu_Shop; November 23rd, 2003 at 06:22 PM..
The_Tofu_Shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2003, 01:57 AM   #2
Tofu Delivery Boy

bump (please help!!!!)

Andy 2
SoCal Pride

Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:22 PM   #3
Tofu Delivery Boy

(bump)
come on guys, any help?

Andy 2
SoCal Pride

Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:36 PM   #4

1) forgot what omhs was for, sorry
2) the difference is that each speaker will have more tweeters. like 4 way would have 4 speakers in to one. and i recommend component speakers, they are more detailed.
3) it's up to you, rockford, JL, kickers, are good for ltos of bass
4) what do you mean? the amp is to run speakers and subs. it all depends on the sub you are getting and speakers
5) depends on your setup, alot of peopel have optima batteries
6) alot haha,
sonnieeeeboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:38 PM   #5
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
you will get more help from here :www.sounddomain.com
Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:47 PM   #6
Old Member

since youre starting out i say get some rockford amp and subs , thats what i had as first set up and had no problems at all. As for ohms if you have a 4ohm load sub you wire it into an 8ohm load and you can more subs too it, 2ohms subs will give you more power, so if youre going with a 2 channel amp get a 4ohm load sub if youre going with a mono amp then get 2ohm. For the wattage on the amp it depends on what subs youre running if you looking on the specs of the sub it should tell you how much wattage you should run it..
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:27 AM   #7
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
Re: Please can yuo help me with a few questions!

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Tofu_Shop
Okay, after getting my new head unit installed, its evident that my speakers arent the best quality. so i want to upgrade my speakers and get a sub or two. any ways, i have been looking around and i have a few questions:
1. What is the difference between 2 ohm subs and 4 ohm subs? Which of the two is better?
2. What is the difference between 2/3/4 way speakers, and what is significant about a coaxial speaker? Which is best?
3. Any suggestions on what brands to go after for good quality in subs and amps?
4. What levelof amp will i need (i.e. 400w, 1000w?) for a system with a CDA 9815 head unit, 4 new speakers, and 2 12" subs in the trunk?
5. Should i get a second battery just for the system?
6. How much would Dynamat-ing the trunk and each of the speakers cost? (i mean total, with installation)

I think thats it, any help you guys can offer would be great. thanks guys! (any discounts you can get me on products or installation would be great too )
1) Ohm is the measure of current resistance via the coil of wire wrapped around a core(in this case for a speaker). Speakers come in different ohms to better match the amp efficiency of putting of wattage. So if an amp you buy for your sub is 100watts RMS @ 4ohms, and 250watts RMS @ 2ohms.. you would get a sub that is 2 ohms to bettert utilize the more power the amp will produce with increased resistance(lower # ohms). Remember as you lower the ohms, the amp will draw MORE current from your alt... there are subs out there with "dual" 4ohms, "dual" 2ohms... these types can be more versatile as a installer can wire them differently to get even lower or higher resistance. Fro example: a "dual" 2ohm subwoofer... if wires PARALLEL.. the woofer will show the amp 1ohm, if the woofer is wired in SERIES.. it will show the amp 4ohms.. see the versatility?

2) 2/3/4way speakers signify the number of drivers a single speaker unit has. 2 way means woofer & tweet, 3 way means woofer,midrange,tweet, and 4 way is woofer, midrange, tweet, and super tweet ... as you can see I think a better quality 2-way design is all that you need... coaxial speakers are built for one thing in mind... EASE OF INSTALL... the entire unit is one piece.. tweet and woofer together... while component speakers(which tend to sound better) are a bit more involved with an installation. Which brands are better is asking which type of orange juice manufacturer is the best.. ALL SUBJECTIVE... in this area you will have to do your homework... and tell us what you think sounded good at some local audio shops.. come back with some brandnames you liked and we can further discuss the ramafications of your conclusions...

3) again all subjective... go out there and do your HOMEWORK..

4) depends on what sub enclosure, subwoofer type, brand, etc.. once you like a certain brand we can suggest amps that will suffuciently run the sub.. as well as not tax your car's electrical system

5) depends... do you wanna bump your car when you play basketball with the engine running? 2nd battery only good for extending play time of audio system with engine off...

6) dynamatting depends on the labor rate of audio shop.. I'd say about $100-150 install if you wanna do both doors, entire trunk, etc... if you are DIY.. you can pickup inexpensive versions of dynamat.. that will do just about the same job... raammat, brownbread, home depot's roofing department has some sound deadening stuff, carpet padding, pipe insulation wrap, silicone, friction tape, etc... there are many many ways to stop rattling...

*phew* I hope that helped...
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #8

5) try capacitors
streetxdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #9
Tofu Delivery Boy

okay, i went out to a local audio shop...well, a few of them..and i listened to subs and speakers. one shop had almost all sony stuff...the xplod stuff looks funky, but didnt sound bad....i listened to some phoenix gold stuff and that was nice, Rockford Fosgate good as well, Pioneer...kinda eh, maybe it was just the shop, i was in kinda a bad mood cause the guy there was being a little *****. alpines were nice, but bass seemed weak. kickers had so much distortion...MTX was pretty good, but more expensive it seemed (cause they better?) yeah. thats what i did today. put a lot of nice miles on my car. speaker salesmen were like used car salesmen, they could smell that i was looking at speakers, and immediately drew me to the most expensive....oh well

Whats opinion of those brands? (a ordering of best to worst would be helpful, but cause i saw them in like 8 stores, i would need them all in one place to compare them all)

Andy 2
SoCal Pride

Old November 24th, 2003, 09:02 PM   #10
Old Member

dont buy any sony car audio products, get rockford or mtx their thunder subs are pretty good.
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #11
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
are you going to have the audio shop do the install?

if yes. then you're at their pricing policy mercy and I'd go with the alpine type Rs...

if not .. well then bro.. eBay is your friend and I would strongly suggest some CDT HD 6.5 component set...
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #12
Old Member

you can find some cheap stuff on ebay but you have to watch out for those who are selling it i dont buy from anyone under 98% feedback
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 25th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #13
mcR
uhhhh dunno

Send a message via AIM to mcR Send a message via Yahoo to mcR
solo
baric l5 nothin less
mcR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 25th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #14
Old Member

those are what i have
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in