my new fog/driving light IS IT LEGAL? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #1
247Racing

Send a message via AIM to avenger408
my new fog/driving light IS IT LEGAL?

first the fog's info
maker, Cyber White
model/name, nv-515W navigator/driving lamp
info:
halogen fog lamp
55w

my concern is once after the install i notice the light pattern is very spread out. even to the side.
my setup is where the stock fogs goes. i cut out a spot in the old plastic cover and mount it there. but i mount it along the wall of the plastic cover. which is at an angle. along the curve of the front bumper.
is it legal? will i get pull over cause of stray light beam?
look at the pictures and judge. please, thanks.

at off right now i'm not wiring it up for use yet. for that cocern.
thanks again.

http://s88081946.onlinehome.us/honda/fogs/page_01.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
avenger408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to willshire Send a message via AIM to willshire
That's some of the worst glare I've ever seen. You should be more concerned about that, despite it's legality.
willshire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 27th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #3

yeah, the stock fogs sit back in the housing instead of curving at an agle, which yours look like they do now. I would be concerned with the way your setup looks.......Here's a suggestion, I used the stock fogs and upgraded to an 80w bulb and they look very nice........good luck!
*********Modifications**********
HID's
Icon 5.8" LCD and DVD Player
30% Tint
Xenon -Match Fog Lights
De-badged
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.streeteffectz.com/2003HondaAccord/
andru044 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 27th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #4
247Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by andru044
yeah, the stock fogs sit back in the housing instead of curving at an agle, which yours look like they do now. I would be concerned with the way your setup looks.......Here's a suggestion, I used the stock fogs and upgraded to an 80w bulb and they look very nice........good luck!
you do know it's an after market fog? and yes i line it up with the curve of the bumper. so does changing to a higher watt fix the stray light/glare?

again i'm concern with the wide spread of the pattern. is that normal? and will i get pull over for it?

thank again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 28th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by avenger408
so does changing to a higher watt fix the stray light/glare?

again i'm concern with the wide spread of the pattern. is that normal? and will i get pull over for it?
Upgrading to a higher wattage bulb will probably worsen the glare, although it doesn't hurt to try. Glare is sometimes caused by the reflector/projector design of the light housing. A good reflector will have superior light focusing properties resulting in an optimum beam pattern on the road without excessive glare.

You shouldn't be pulled over, but that's not your primary concern. The wide spread of the beam pattern is definitely not normal (unless you like driving close to the curb...) The oblique mounting position is the culprit, and there are only two ways you can rectify that. Either recess the lights on the inside of each mounting hole, or remount the lights in front of the radiator, where the bumper is relatively straight. That's what I did with my aftermarket fogs and they look nice, very nice.

BTW, a lot of glare is not that uncommon. Many aftermarket lighting systems have substantial glare. Mine also produce glare, even though they are an expensive set. I have a theory that it might be today's smaller housings combined with high-wattage bulbs that are largely responsible for this, but a lighting expert will probably have a better idea.
APOLLON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 28th, 2003, 03:56 AM   #6
247Racing

APOLLON thanks alot for that. that's exactly what i wanted to find out. and yes i tried fixing the mounting and still doesn't work. so i end up cutting up my eom plastic fog cover. so now i have two opening there. (chicken wire grill?! ) but i end up putting it in front of the radiator grill. *sigh well atleast i know how to takeout/put in my bumper.

Old November 28th, 2003, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by avenger408
APOLLON thanks alot for that. that's exactly what i wanted to find out. and yes i tried fixing the mounting and still doesn't work. so i end up cutting up my eom plastic fog cover. so now i have two opening there. (chicken wire grill?! ) but i end up putting it in front of the radiator grill. *sigh well atleast i know how to takeout/put in my bumper.
avaenger,

I'm going to install the same set of lights in my coupe right about here...

Could you take a pic of your wiring setup or tell me how you did it? I'm a newb at this and I don't want to screw anything uyp. I am also curious as where to mount that little box. Thanks!

yogi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 28th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #8

If anyone has questions about aftermarket fog light installation on the 7th gen Accord, ask here. I have been involved in fine-tuning my setup for the better part of a month, so have much experience. I even know of a place to pass the switch wire through the firewall that's so fast and easy, it's laughable.
APOLLON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #9
YES IM VIETNAMESE!

Send a message via AIM to vt4lifecuf
nice fog light wat kind fog light it is?
vt4lifecuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #10

I don't know if it's legal or not but you are going to piss off alot of people coming the other way with the lights facing out to the sides like that. It is very annoying!
Silver '03 LX V6 Coupe, Konig "Prophet" Opal 18x7.5 wheels, 235-40-18 Dunlop Sport 9000 tires, Eibach Pro-Kit, Honda "metal-look" interior kit, manual trans shifter boot, black Grillecraft grille, cross-drilled rotors, painted 6-speed scoops, Silverstar headlights, painted rocker panels, Honda front air-dam/spoiler recently installed. Link to photos of my cars, past/present:
2003 VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2003, 12:58 AM   #11
247Racing

maker, Cyber White
model/name, nv-515W navigator/driving lamp
info:
halogen fog lamp
55w

about the setup. right now i wired it up to my lo beam fuse. i just skip the whole switch. so it'll come on with my lo beam

ONE THING TO NOTE. BLOWN FUSE CAUTION!
the fog come with an inline fuse. 15 i think.
and the lo beam fuse is 10.
so i've been popping my lo beam 10 fuse for a while (4). untill i figure it out. right now i gotten rid of the 15 inline fuse. and replace the lo beam 10 to a 15 fuse. and it seem fine.
is this okay? please give tip. any one have problem with the fuse?
thanks
Old December 1st, 2003, 02:38 PM   #12

Sorry to be so neagive, but with those lights cut into there like that, it really looks like crap. I would move them to the center grille area and then go buy the 6MT bumper scoops to fill those holes.

Just my 2 cents though
fhqwhgads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2003, 02:46 PM   #13
YES IM VIETNAMESE!

Send a message via AIM to vt4lifecuf
where can i buy the fog lamp like that...any help?
vt4lifecuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:04 PM   #14
247Racing

pepboy for me. $20.
and yes i'm thinking about a nicely painted grill for the two holes
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #15

hey guys.. just following up on a long time thread.

i know its in the 6th gen but i see lots of 7th gen questions here and i have a 7th gen as well.

i just got some xenarc aux lights as a gift! they look nice (uninstalled.. haha), but i have a few questions regarding mounting. thanks for the pictures avenger, i really can see what the back of the bumper looks like, and my friends dad who's a mechanic said that it's hard to mount foglights where OEM foglights go.

but my question is if i mount it like how most people mount aftermarket lights in front of the radiator:

1) is it easy for people to steal it (ie: rip it off by pulling)

2) will your lense crack easily, because i can see lots of bugs and rocks hit my radiator

thanks guys, any replies would be appreciated.
xstriker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 31st, 2004, 01:43 AM   #16
247Racing

yea it does look very bad at that mounting. i move it infront of the radiator. lasted for about 4 months then one died on my. i guess $20 bucks a pep boy will get you that.
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:12 PM   #17

hey avenger

how did it die? electrical faults or some rock smashed against it?
was it secure under the radiator, could someone pull it off?
xstriker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2004, 12:43 AM   #18
247Racing

heh i say it's due to the $20 i put in to it =D cheap crap.

i think with many other fogs they are screw down from behind the bumper right? for me it was. they have mounting bracket and i drill holes and screw it in.

i dont' think any one can jack it off easily. sure they can use the bolt cutter and snap off the mounting bracket. other than that they would have a hard time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in