solo baric 15" - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #1
SILVIA

Send a message via AIM to EuStOn Send a message via MSN to EuStOn Send a message via Yahoo to EuStOn
solo baric 15"

does anyone know if solo baric sounds better in seal or ported box?? and what size ported and what size seal? cause i want to make them sound better, but don't know where to start... some ppl work in the shop told me that seal is better, and some ppl who actually owns a solo baric told me it's better in ported...

well I got a 15" L7
can you tell me which one is better (ported, seal)? and in what size of box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new ride:
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68176
EuStOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2003, 07:02 PM   #2
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
well if you have a 15 then i say go ported, , 4.5 cubic ft. box tuned to about 33hz. If you want big SPL bass then go ported if you want clean sq then go sealed but why would you when you have a 15' sub? Make sure you get a subsonic filter too unless ur amp already has one. I only have 1 kicker 12' l5 still waiting for my other one to come in, its in a 2.5 cu ft. ported box and it freaking pounds.

Last edited by Du3ce; November 29th, 2003 at 07:06 PM..
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #3
Brad

Send a message via AIM to bdeitemeyer
I've had my 15L7 in a 4.5 cubic ft. ported box, and a 4 cubic ft. sealed box. The ported box made the sub hit deeper notes, but I think the sealed box makes the sub hit cleaner. A lot of factors are behind this though, it all depends how well the box is built, how much volume there is, etc. Good luck.
bdeitemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 29th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Sticmann Send a message via Yahoo to Sticmann
a sealled box would hit harder but u need a powerful amp to push it....a ported box is more efficent so u may not need such a powerful amp but it wont be clean either...the bass will be like wooo...woooo.instead of Boom Boom I currently have 2 of them.... (dual 2 ohm) so I am saving to buy 2 amps for them
Sticmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #5
SILVIA

Send a message via AIM to EuStOn Send a message via MSN to EuStOn Send a message via Yahoo to EuStOn
sticmann, u are the guy with the new V6's, and ur GF crashed ur front fender. right? let me listen to your sub next time when we go to a meet.

I have a seal box right now, I'm thinking to take out my spare and build a fiberglass box seat where exactly spare is. and i'm pushing the sub with a phoenix gold Ti 600.2 briged... don't know if my amp is powerfull enough??
can you guys tell me if my plane would work? (fiberglass a box where the spare is) also in this case, a ported or a seal box would be better?
Old November 29th, 2003, 10:52 PM   #6
6thgenaccord.com

Send a message via AIM to Wildman
sealed = SQ

ported = SPL

that's it, plain & simple.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #7
V6P Lover

Send a message via AIM to v62kaccord
^^ uhmm i think u got that wrong
sealed = spl
ported & bandpass = sq

my friend has a solo baric and he has it ported, and it sounds so soft.
v62kaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2003, 12:16 AM   #8

hey star u remembered...the car is fixed now....as for ure plan..ure amp can push a sub jus make sure ure box is built right...I used to own a truck and I had solos in that one (4 of em) and since trucks on have trunks its better to port cause u get that bass that makes ure unborn kids rumble...but being that u have a trunk U wanna do sealed....cause u want that BOOM BOOM not that muffled rumble...plus its easy to loose control of a driver in a ported box and blow ure sub..... now if u run in a sealed enclosure then u are gonna need more power....I like the kicker 1200.1 for the solos cause they can handle the 1 ohm load ( I have dual 2 ohm speakers) and expliot the amps full power... U didnt tell us wat u pushin..get intouch wit me [email protected] canse I am good at this stuff and I can explain more in depth. so to sum it up go sealed it will hit hard like warren sapp
Old November 30th, 2003, 12:22 AM   #9
6thgenaccord.com

i've had both, ported boxes need to be tuned to a certain frequency, so their loudest for certain notes and hit LOUD in those notes, but lack the range and clarity of sealed boxes. Sealed boxes are not tuned to a certain frequency, they have a greater range but their quieter throughout that range as well.

i've had 2 12" mtx thunder 6000's in both kinds of boxes. Ported box couldn't reproduce bass guitar half as well as my sealed box could, but the ported box (mine was tuned to 45) was hella louder for rap music
Old November 30th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #10
**** Katrina. RIP Accord.

Send a message via AIM to N.O. Accorderz
if u can build a box right then ur ported box will sound cleaner than a sub in a sealed box...its all about ur skills and the box...my friend built a slot ported box for his 10" round solo and it hits harder and cleaner than my friends 2 10" JLW3 in a sealed box...all about ur skillz
N.O. Accorderz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #11
6thgenaccord.com

tuned = hones the box in on a certain frequency

i agree with you, the box is everything. i had my 12's in a prefab box, until I met a guy with an off-brand single 12" in a custom box whose POS sub hit louder than my 2 12"s. So then i looked into who built the best sub boxes in my area (of 1.3 million people)......

if your friend's subs hit ****** in a sealed inclosure, then you might want to talk to him about his "skills", because all my boxes have been built by a custom shop nearby that competes on every level, and i'm guessing cuz they've been in the business for 30 years, they might know how to build a box a little better than your friend with his JLW3's.

Last edited by Wildman; November 30th, 2003 at 08:16 AM..
Old November 30th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #12
Old Member

i like my ported box better
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #13
6thgenaccord.com

same. i'd rather be able to make it loud when i want, even if it has trouble reproducing some bass guitar notes.
Old November 30th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #14
Just a peter.

Send a message via ICQ to illusion
A large sealed box would be the happiest in terms of sound quality. It will be warm and have a very flat response.

A large ported box tuned to a nice deep freq, 33hz or so makes heart stopping "street bass". If you're willing to give up your entire trunk, I'd go with a pair of 12"s in a shared port design, you pick up a few db due to the shared port. A pair of 12"s tuned right in a shared port will crush a single 15". Most of the dual 12" boxes I can find online are 1.9-2.0ft^3 for each sub which is pretty happy, it will be considerably louder than sealed, but if SQ isn't a concern bigger than 3ft^3 each side(mine are 3.27ft^3)

when I say your whole trunk, I mean your whole trunk(Iwell I would have picked up a few more CF if I made the box shorter because I could push it forward more, but there wouldn't be enough support for the subs)

If you already have the 15", just go with a 4.5ft^3 vetned enclosure if you want nasty bass, but still want to maintain a a decent ammount of SQ, go with a 6ft^3 box if you want heart stopping bass, personally I'd just follow the kicker recommended specs, go to http://www.kicker.com then find your sub and download the technical paper, they have pre-measured box designs that work well.

If you want to get real froggy research folded horn designs, if done right you can pick up as much as 12db but the doing it right is a pain in the butt.

Another note, stick with slot ported, don't waste your time on tubes, there's too much port noise on the average tube port.
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #15
Old Member

hey illusion is there any sound difference when you face ur subs up front or backwards, also did you dynamat your whole trunk? cause i only have 1 12' L5 in there now and it rattles like crazy.
Old November 30th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #16
Just a peter.

there wasn't enough room behind the subs to use the trunk as a chamber, so it didn't do any good to face them backwards, it actually sounded worse in my case(with the box turned around the grills are touching the back of the car). The best part of facing them forward is the port fires right through the pass through and I don't have to fold down my seats for vicious bass. With my old boxes they sounded best facing towards eachother angled slightly backwards, or firing stright up. Some people gripe about cancellation firing them towards eachother, but they would only cancel eachother if they were wired out of phase, firing them towards eachother with a slight angle to the front or back causes then to amplify a little, the same reason a shared port vented box gets as much as a 3db gain just from sharing the port.

For dynamat, I have the trunk lid with extreme, little triangles of extreme on the bottom of the trunk, and solid extreme where the lights are. I also took the lights out and added some more weather stripping foam tape behind them to keep them from rattling. I put bolts through the bottom of my license plate and foam tape behind the plate too. I have little bits of foam tape for a bunch of the junk that's under the rear deck, and dynmat where the seams on the rear deck are as well. It still rattles a little, but no where near as bad as it was.

Last week I just went on rear view mirror #7(they keep freaking breaking) and I had my windshield replaced last month because I had a tiny rock chip that spread like wildfire. I was sitting there looking at the chip right after it happened and thought it wasn't that bad so I cranked up the tunes, within 5 minutes my entire windshield was spiderwebbed lol. ahhh the things I go through to have mean bass.

Last edited by illusion; November 30th, 2003 at 03:33 PM..
Old November 30th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #17

its a matter of preference cause I have heard both ported and sealed boxes housing 4 12" l7 and the boxes were build by mobil innovations on 46 ( who is basically one of the best in the NY NJ area) and I perfer the cleaner snapping bass. the ported will hit lower but it wont back that punch...u will just hear a rumble...so pick ure poison...in a sealed box U cant go as low as a Ported box.
I am gonna go sealed and make it removable cause i dont want all that weight slowin my car down when I hit the track and the next meet we have I will let u guys hear it in the NY NJ CT area
Old November 30th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #18
Just a peter.

I hate to argue, ok well no I don't. Anyhow, It's a common misconception that ported or vented or even band pass will "drop" lower. This is absolutely untrue. What a vented does is tune the subwoofer to resonate at a certain frequency, giving that frequency range a gain, making it sound louder. A large sealed box will actually go lower with less hassle than a ported. This is one of the reasons all ported boxes make sure you know to use a subsonic filter, because the cone will bounce around and end up damaging itself at lower freqs, where a sealed will happily bounce away since it's using the air as part of it's suspension. The reason a sealed box sounds like it doesn't reproduce lower freqs is because the lower the frequency the more power you need to make the sound appear as loud. Can you imagine having 1000w worth of tweeters? Large sealed enclosures have a very flat response.

Here's a plot I did a while back showing the different tuning of an L7.
I apologize for the size but it's needed to see the detail, it's actually a small file since it's a low color gif.
Purple is a 12" L7 in a .75ft^3 sealed box, yellow is a 2ft^3 sealed box, Green is a 12" L7 in a slot ported box tuned to 38hz with 1.91ft^3, red is a slot ported box tuned to 36hz with 3.25ft^3(I'm using 3.27ft^3 tuned to 33hz which shifts the slope lower down)

What you see by this plot is that the box makes a HUGE difference. you can clearly see that a large sealed box extends much lower than a ported enclosure, although there isn't any gain at the lower freqs, ported boxes emphasize their tuned freq, while sacrificing low and high end bass.(vertical domain is db, horizontal is freq * log)

you can see that a small sealed box falls on it's face below 70hz, but above 75(midbass territory) it accels. You can see how flat the response is of the large sealed box, but it won't be as loud as the vented, although at anything below 60hz the large sealed would crush the smalled sealed(where most bass is actually at). You can also see that below ~ 20hz the ported is dead, and the large sealed will keep going.

Last edited by illusion; November 30th, 2003 at 06:22 PM..
Old November 30th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #19
SILVIA

in my case, what would be the bext without changing into another 2 12"l7's? just with my old 15"L7 and my phoenix ti-600.2 amp.... is the spare location possibly to get a nice bass?
Old November 30th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #20
6thgenaccord.com

educate yourself lol. the WINISD program that he showed u is free. just search for it on yahoo and u can download it from the programmers' site
Old November 30th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #21
Just a peter.

Quote:
Originally posted by starcrap12 on December 1st, 2003 at 01:52 AM

in my case, what would be the bext without changing into another 2 12"l7's? just with my old 15"L7 and my phoenix ti-600.2 amp.... is the spare location possibly to get a nice bass?
spare location is possible if you're good. Here's some pics from an old buddy(morningZ) installing in a spare tire hole, Our spare hole is even bigger than this. One word with those kinds of installs, make the box, then figure out your voulme with sand or water, then tune the port. Don't be tricky and guess the volume before you're done. MorningZ's page

And as was said, you shoudl download winisd and play around with it, there's tons of prefab drivers so you don't need to enter TS params, you can play around with the volume, port type and size, and whatever you want till you get a response that looks happy.
Old November 30th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #22

the 15" l7 is perfect a good box and 1 speaker can knock jus as loud as 2 speakers u jus gotta build the box...and use birch wood to save weight...man that MDF is heavy..but since u glassin I guess u will save weight. but have fun I wanna see how it turns out when we have another meet
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #23
SILVIA

I think i gonna copy what he did, but I still don't understand if i should go with ported or seal with my 15L7....??? if I do go with ported what's a good location for it? and how big (or what kind of port should i use)???
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #24
Old Member

i bought my vented box from ebay for like $64 on ebay sounds pretty good
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #25
SILVIA

Quote:
Originally posted by illusion
spare location is possible if you're good. Here's some pics from an old buddy(morningZ) installing in a spare tire hole, Our spare hole is even bigger than this. One word with those kinds of installs, make the box, then figure out your voulme with sand or water, then tune the port. Don't be tricky and guess the volume before you're done. MorningZ's page

And as was said, you shoudl download winisd and play around with it, there's tons of prefab drivers so you don't need to enter TS params, you can play around with the volume, port type and size, and whatever you want till you get a response that looks happy.
this site doesn't load....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new ride:
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68176
Old November 30th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #26
Just a peter.

Quote:
Originally posted by starcrap12 on December 1st, 2003 at 04:34 AM

this site doesn't load....
I tested it on 3 different computers, they all worked, not sure what to say.

starcrap12, not sure what else to tell you,if you're using a single 15" find the technical papers on kickers site and get happy, or pick up a box on ebay, although the only one's I see on ebay right now are the 6ft^3 one's and I'm not sure if those will fit, they are a little too high. As far as which way to point it, after you get the box wiggle it around till you like how it sounds.
Old December 1st, 2003, 03:02 AM   #27
SILVIA

illusion, do you have more information about ur friend's set up? cause i think i gonna copy what he did!! it's pretty nice and clean... (the site did work after 30mins) dont know what it took so long for my computer to load that.... well, thanks for your time!!
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:51 AM   #28
Brad

Send a message via AIM to bdeitemeyer
Here are a couple of pics of my fiberglass false floor enclosure that takes the place of the spare wheel well"

bdeitemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in