Need help with a TV Tuner Signal - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #1
h2o

Need help with a TV Tuner Signal

I have a TV tuner, 10 disc DVD Changer, Alpine Navi, and a 7' lcd that i installed a week ago. Im currnetly having problems with trying to get a better signal for the TV Tuner. I installed telescopic Antenna Boosters for the front and back of the winshield, but im still getting a fuzzy picture. I have tried adjusting the antenna's but still pretty fuzzy. Does anyone have any suggestions? And is there a way that i can use the antenna that is in the rear windshield from my car as a tv signal? if so, where can i get a adapter to connect into there?
h2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #2
7th Gen ACcord

is your car tinted??
xjdMb16a2six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #3
h2o

Nope. My windows are clear.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:47 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to snork
Not sure what a "telescopic antenna booster" is (and I'm an EE), but the only way for sure to get a better picture is to get a POWER amplified TV antenna (ie: one that has to be plugged/wired to a power source).

I got this one click here. Made by Optiview, uses standard 12V car power, works great. No pic at etronics.com, but you can see a small pic of it on my website... www.geocities.com/jgdpsu It's nice and small, lays pretty much completely flat, I have it on my rear decklid right behind the rear seats and I can't even see it. The amplified part really does work well cuz I tried it w/ and w/o power and I was getting stations that wouldn't tune-in w/o the power.

TV reception also depends on the geography of your area and how close you are to the actual broadcast antenna. Lucky for me I live only 20 minutes from the broadcast stations so I get really good reception, but if you drive away/behind hills it can suck. Also, since a car is generally moving/changing directions that will also affect reception. So it may depend on a lot of factors obviously.

edit: BTW, tapping your car's FM antenna won't help any neither b/c TV and radio antennas have different impedances (resistance), so using one for the other won't help.

Sold: 5.6" LCD, DVD/TV Tuner

Soon: Eclipse SE-8363 6.5s for doors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by snork; December 2nd, 2003 at 10:52 AM..
snork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:21 PM   #5
h2o

Thanks Snork. i was curious if it was possible for tapping in the Car's Radio Antenna.

Here is a description of the Antenna's i have:

This patented Amplified Interior antenna mount on the front windshield above the rearview mirror or on the rear windshield create a 360 degree coverage when use with the TV-Tuner antenna. The telescoping elements extend to a 54" total length. A 26db Signal Amplifier (the strongest in the market) is included in the system to improve rural area reception. When use with our Super TV-Tuner, it automatic switch to find the one antenna that is receiving the best signal at the time.

And i have 2 of them, one in front and one in rear and i cant seem to get a clear picture. I mean, i do get a picture but its very blurry. And im mostly in the city were most TV stations are located but still no luck.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:01 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to snork
Ok, yeah...I think I've scene that antenna. Pretty expensive too from what I remember Does the 26dB signal amplifier require power? If so, you pretty much already got the best antenna you can get. Mine only has a 25dB amplifier (not much of a difference). The other part to check is to make sure the antenna cord is in "just right" in the antenna jack. TV signals, as you've found out, are pretty finicky. Sometimes a little jiggle of the jack gets the connection better
snork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:22 AM   #7
ogs
V6P Approved Vendor

Send a message via AIM to ogs
to be honest..tv tuners in 12v just dont work all that well. No matter where you are or what type of equipment you have it all the same thing.

The only way to watch TV in the car is to get the KVH DirecTV set up....but then again..that's 3600.
ogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2003, 12:30 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to loxllxol
Quote:
Originally posted by ogs
to be honest..tv tuners in 12v just dont work all that well. No matter where you are or what type of equipment you have it all the same thing.

The only way to watch TV in the car is to get the KVH DirecTV set up....but then again..that's 3600.
So you can actually get satellite into your car?
loxllxol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2003, 05:26 PM   #9
fat bastard

Re: Need help with a TV Tuner Signal

Quote:
Originally posted by h2o
I have a TV tuner, 10 disc DVD Changer, Alpine Navi, and a 7' lcd that i installed a week ago. Im currnetly having problems with trying to get a better signal for the TV Tuner. I installed telescopic Antenna Boosters for the front and back of the winshield, but im still getting a fuzzy picture. I have tried adjusting the antenna's but still pretty fuzzy. Does anyone have any suggestions? And is there a way that i can use the antenna that is in the rear windshield from my car as a tv signal? if so, where can i get a adapter to connect into there?

Got PICS!!!!!!
OEM foglights
Suspension- 4 x 4 Jeep upgrade(nothing like a 4 inch gap)
Security-Compustar 2WSS-AS

my reliable car: scroll down to end of page
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13063
ricanrsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:50 PM   #10

I got (2) diversity antenna on my TV tuner and it works well, every channel is crystal clear, well we all know it depends on your geographical location.

Trying using the aluminum type dual diversity antenna those are pretty good even without any booster but the downside is, they look ugly when installed on your windshield. good luck!
QuizWORX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2003, 12:06 AM   #11
h2o

snork - Yeah it was about $70 for the pair of antennas that i purchased it for. I think i will try to relocate my antennas next week to see if i can get a better picture.

ricanrsx - I will post up pics sometime next week in the 7th generation section.

QuizWORX - My friend owns a Import Shop and he had a set of the aluminum dual antenna's lying around, and i tried it out but it was actually a little worse then what i have currently. I guess its all about location and altitude and junk. But I will try to relocate the antennas. The funny thing is that my Navi works awesome withs its GPS antenna. I mean its almost perfectly acurate with the sense of direction of my car is heading towards even when im reversing.

Thanks all for your inputs. If you or anyone else think of anything else please feel free to provide more info.
Old December 7th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #12

when they first install my unit they install those aluminum antennas on mine, I mean they've good reception but its ugly on the windshield. They replace it with a diversity wire thing antenna and now my ch.2, 4, 5 are weak. I may have to look for a better antenna too. other channels are so crytal clear...

Relocating your antenna wont do the job since your car moves and be in a different directions so it doest really matter. It's got be your location. Try adding those antenna booster it might help. Or if still not good enough go get Direct TV. aheheheh j/k
QuizWORX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in