Interior courtesy LED mod - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #1

Interior courtesy LED mod

I have done a lot of different things with leds in my car that I have seen before - in the foot wells and cup holder, but there are a few things I've done that I've never seen on a 6th gen, and I think that some people would want to try it so here you go.

First off - I put a blue 5mm led behind the 12v socket in the storage pocket thing, I really like how it glows at night and provides some light so you can actually see stuff in there. You can also see my purple foot well leds, although pics never look the same as in person for them.

Next is my greatest idea ever - a single white 5mm led in the sunglasses holder, between the two map lights that turns on when the door opens. I think I got the idea from the 7th gens that have a little amber led in there, or maybe my cousins tC. I've always disliked how our cars have no lights that come on when you enter besides the dome light, and this is perfect. Anyway, It was pretty simple, I ran a wire from the courtesy driver door light through the jamb, behind the fuse box, through the pillar and between the headliner/ windshield to the sunglasses holder and voila.

You can see it next to my white map light leds.

It lights up the console area between the seats with a nice white light.

Another thing I did is mount a 5mm white led in each foot well close to the door, lighting the floor acting as another courtesy light inside the car. I got the idea from my friends grandpa car, so I just wired a led the same way I did the sunglasses holder one, except this wire only has to go through the jamb and then mounted near the fuse boxes. It's very hard to capture a good representation of how these look, especially on my black carpet.

And since I've never posted pics of my new interior-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SeanUCF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #2
-Maninder

looks cool. custom seats? look like a hybrid of sedan and coupe seats. more pics of the interior please
1fastJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #3

You have a good eye. I bought some sketch leather seat covers on ebay for like $150 that were for a 98-02 sedan, but of course they don't fit 100% right. My front seats on the bottom were in terrible condition, so I installed the ebay ones on both ass parts in the front, and the back part of the passenger. I also installed it on the ass part of the rear seats, but kept the OEM leather for the back rest. I also kept the back parts of the seats, although I would like to replace them but it's a lot of work.
Overall, I'm very happy for the outcome and price, I installed them myself. There are a few problems though. If you look closely, the leather color is a tad off, probably because my OEM leather was in the Miami sun for 10 years with no tints, and the back covers don't really sit flush...at all. Also, the front cover doesn't quite fit right on the seat, it's got waves towards the top lol. The rear cover also didn't have seat belt cutouts, they weren't perfect OEM specs by any means. They were really cheap and I did the labor myself though so it was a good deal. Pics to come...

Old September 14th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #4
k24
FRAUDULENT SELLER

Send a message via MSN to k24 Send a message via Yahoo to k24
good job!! looks good.. i see that UM hat!!
k24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Banned

link for seats?
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #6

Here's are the cracks before-

Obviously my first time doing this lol

Using zip ties to pull it tight.

Here you can see the difference between OEM and the new covers. Notice the new one has no cutout for the seat belts, so now they just kind of are pulled through awkwardly.

The completed passenger seat

The drivers seat

Installed back in the car

From this angle they look really great and professional (at least I think so)

but then if you look at the top of the seat from the side....

All in all, it's way better with the new leather, and most of the problems I see most people probably don't even notice.

BUT if I had some extra money lying around and still needed some covers, I'd jump on these immediately. I'm sure they would fit way better in the right places, and it would match my black carpet
(Lxcord spotted them)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24 View Post
good job!! looks good.. i see that UM hat!!
Thanks man. It's actually a little baby pillow I like to keep in my car for road trips, etc. I have a delicate frame

Old September 15th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Banned

looks good hoss, i have cloth in my car, and its okay, i want like black suede or alcantra
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #9
v not some model, my girl

Send a message via AIM to 99v6sedan
Pretty nice..... wanna throw some LEDs in mine?

CG Squad Member #16
Official Slammed Club Member #47 Stage 4
A.S.E. Certified Autobody Technician
99v6sedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #10

really nice
360spinna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanUCF View Post
That's a pretty kool idea. I wish I could do that to my car. I would have an amber one to match my cluster and headunit. Unfortunately, my car hole opener is there. =/ Good job on the seats as well. I hope my seats don't get to that point.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Buy my AP1 wheels!&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Ofnir107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #12
4.0L

Seats and lighting look good! I had similar plans for my Accord...especially the LED near the map lights. I really wanted an ambient light like the 7th gens had...one that came on with the parking lights/head lights. Did you consider wiring that one LED to come on with the interior instrument panel lights? After I did my TL shifter swap and put the boot on there, it was pitch black inside my car at night. 20% tint didn't help either lol.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #13

if you like led projects, do what i did with my door handle

Looks really nice at night.. kind of plain for right now though with only the door handles.. definitely need to add one under the side mirror
ntrenchi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofnir107 View Post
That's a pretty kool idea. I wish I could do that to my car. I would have an amber one to match my cluster and headunit. Unfortunately, my car hole opener is there. =/ Good job on the seats as well. I hope my seats don't get to that point.
My seats were about 10 years old in Miami sun with no tints and were only cleaned and conditioned maybe once or twice. I think with proper cleaning and conditioning, they would last a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1 View Post
Seats and lighting look good! I had similar plans for my Accord...especially the LED near the map lights. I really wanted an ambient light like the 7th gens had...one that came on with the parking lights/head lights. Did you consider wiring that one LED to come on with the interior instrument panel lights? After I did my TL shifter swap and put the boot on there, it was pitch black inside my car at night. 20% tint didn't help either lol.
I didn't think about using it for ambient, but it would have to be a blue/purple/red or amber color because the white is pretty bright. With my other leds all the dark places are lit. I did wire the blue pocket one and cup holder leds to the 12v adapter so they come on automatically with the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrenchi View Post
if you like led projects, do what i did with my door handle

Looks really nice at night.. kind of plain for right now though with only the door handles.. definitely need to add one under the side mirror
I definitely want to do some led work in the mirror. Not only the amber turn signals one, but I got an idea from my roommates Explorer and other SUVs - the mirrors have lights that shine directly on the ground when the doors are unlocked, acting as courtesy lights before you open your door. I think having a white high-powered led would look great lighting the ground up as you walk towards your car.
Getting the led in there and sealing it up/ getting the power wire up there should be pretty easy, depending on how much room is behind the mirror so you can hide the led. The only thing holding me back is how I can wire it up to do what I want. The only thing that comes on when we unlock our cars is the map light, but I don't know how I can tap that so that the mirror leds only turn on when unlocked, not whenever the map light is on.
Maybe I can have an additional switch to keep it off when in the car? Any ideas?

Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:04 AM   #15

Quote:
I definitely want to do some led work in the mirror. Not only the amber turn signals one, but I got an idea from my roommates Explorer and other SUVs - the mirrors have lights that shine directly on the ground when the doors are unlocked, acting as courtesy lights before you open your door. I think having a white high-powered led would look great lighting the ground up as you walk towards your car.
Getting the led in there and sealing it up/ getting the power wire up there should be pretty easy, depending on how much room is behind the mirror so you can hide the led. The only thing holding me back is how I can wire it up to do what I want. The only thing that comes on when we unlock our cars is the map light, but I don't know how I can tap that so that the mirror leds only turn on when unlocked, not whenever the map light is on.
Maybe I can have an additional switch to keep it off when in the car? Any ideas?
I took 2 pics for ya .. one ****ty cause i was standing and in a rush.. one nice when i left the camera on the ground.. haha.. first one is just so you can see the pattern it left on the ground. This is one signle prewired led, just like my door handle. I went in and added it to see how it looked after noticing that we (7th gen) have a little hole in our mirrors (maybe you too, idk). It seemed like a good idea.. only took a coupe minutes since the doors are already wired. I did the driver side only just to see how it looked, but i like it so im going to do the passenger today at school between classes.. just gotta bring some wires to the parking lot lol.

I have a couple ideas that I'm tossing around right now. I'm working on my own ambient lighting system for the car. Using a relay and potentiometer, i'm going to put red leds inside my airvents and try to have them dim automatically while driving (since its stick, im going to use the parking brake signal switch as a way to determine that im driving). If the potentiometer works for this efficiently, im going to go forth in making an led fog strip from cree bulbs (similar to kingmoocows setup) that dims by itself when the headlights are on.

Right now my mirror and external comes on with the map light. I also have a two way switch where i can have all my accessory lighting on at once. Since i made a little terminal inside the kick panels, I might seperate the exterior and interior wiring, but for now i actually like it. idk if you are stick or auto, but the parking brake button is one you may want to try. Or you can just have a relay signal cut power to the outside whenever the car is on if thats what you like. I do deliveries though so i like having it on when i step out and leave the car running. Relays pretty much make the choices endless

Last edited by ntrenchi; September 22nd, 2010 at 04:55 AM..
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:16 AM   #16
4.0L

I was thinking about custom fitting the door courtesy lights from another car because I noticed that some newer cars have the door light on the bottom of the door (the edge facing the ground) so all the light hits the ground where you want it. The stock ones on the Accord point in towards the car, and if they're bright enough you get light on the ground too. I was looking at the ones from the 05 G35.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:00 AM   #17

Or you can do what I did with this kids mazda-smd strip under the doors:

Last edited by ntrenchi; September 22nd, 2010 at 09:16 AM..
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:44 AM   #18
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

looks good my man i have a totally green lit interior
skatingclaybird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM   #19
Mike

looks good man... I like the storage LED
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in