Hardwiring Electronics - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #1

Hardwiring Electronics

Hey all,

The project im planning for my car is to install an iPod in a cellphone type holder, and hook it up to the aux input in my headunit by use of an adaptor that will charge the ipod as well as take the sound out to the head unit. The unit is called the Sik-Imp (see it Here ) My question for you today is...i dont want to have the crappy cigarette lighter hanging out is there a way i can tap the electronics behind the dash with something like THIS and then just plug the iPod adapter to that and keep it all out of sight behind the climate control area? I really dont know much about electrical wiring. Know plenty about audio wiring. Any help at all would be awesome. Because i know if i take this to a car install place i better bring the lube, cuz that price is gonna hurt!

Thanks in advance
MaximusV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #2

just find power somewhere... you could also splice into the lighter's wires... i'd run a + wire right from the battery if you're worried about warrenty... that way they can't say you did it if anything electrical occured... and the negative goes right to frame....
ADDICTED2ICELED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #3

I just really dont know **** about splicing wires and stuff...im a real fast learner though. Anyone have any basic electrical tutorials for stuff like that? i know that you always disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before doing any work. and to ground you connect the negative wire to any screw connected to the frame. But as far as tapping into a wire with power. I just dont know the proper way to do it. Is there any place online that would explain it to me?

Old February 4th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #4

there several methods for doing so... but disconnect your battery first if you're not sure of what you're doing...

take a multimeter or test light and find what wire is positive. (obviously do this b/4 you disconnect the battery)

they make wire taps that have a needle in them and just wrap around the wire, taking power from it... or:

cut the wire... strip off the layer of shielding on the wire to expose the bare metal... both parts that were cut... now take your power wire and connect all 3.

there are several ways to do this:
crimp cap
wire nut
twist the wires together and use electrical tape to shield.
twist the wire and use heat-shrink tubing.
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #5

so any wire that is positive is ok to tap into?...also you mentioned going straight to the battery as a safer alternative. Is that alot harder? it sounds like it. Sorry about all the questions i just really dont want to F*ck up
Old February 4th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #6

dont use wire nuts...thats like car electronics 101...that will vibrate right off in like 2 days....
jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #7

wire nuts ok if you tape em over...

going right to the battery will not turn off if the car is off. hardest part about this is getting thru the firewall... just gotta poke around following wires till you find a hole... a friend and a fish would help dearly..

about tapping the wire, any positive wire will do...
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #8

So if i got something like THIS i could use some wire taps and hook it into something behind the dash near the climate control. Also, what gauge wiretaps will i need?
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #9

mmmm.... i would cut the wire on that plug and wire it directly into the power... instead of buying a cig light plug and having all the junk behind your dash... if it's perminant that is... then all you'll have is a wire coming out. and no clutter behind the dash.

it doesn't matter, just saves you from buying somthing extra.

the new accords have a cig plug in the center console just for this purpose :-) btw :-)
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #10

mmmm.... i would cut the wire on that plug and wire it directly into the power... instead of buying a cig light plug and having all the junk behind your dash... if it's perminant that is... then all you'll have is a wire coming out. and no clutter behind the dash.

it doesn't matter, just saves you from buying somthing extra.

the new accords have a cig plug in the center console just for this purpose :-) btw :-)
Old February 29th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #11

lol, its been a while since ive been able to think about any car stuff. Ive been craaaazy busy with school latley. Right now my project is blue led conversion and gauges. after that tho im gonna do the iPod thing here. I just have one more question for you guys. If i get wire taps from radio shack what gauge should i get? ill probabaly be tapping something behind the dash. or maybe behind the cig lighter.
Old March 1st, 2004, 08:59 AM   #12
Banned

I am going to come to the resuce...(I think)

What I am doing next to rewire my mess is this.

I have a 4 gauge line coming through my firewall for my sound system. I am upgrading to 0 gauge for the sound system. the 4 gauge wire is going to power my accessories. I am running that into a fused power distrobution block, that will turn on via a relay, getting its trigger charge from my cig lighter. This way, I'll be able to have my radar detactor, cell phone charger, and LEDs under the seats and such (in the next few months) turn on when the car is on. I also will wire switches to the lights so I can turn them off or on. I want my radar and cell charger line active when the car is on, so no switches for them. I would use 10 or 8 gauge wire to wire them up.

As for the simple way out. I have my cell charger in a cig lighter socket like in your link, and I tapped the current cig lighter for power and ground, since I didn't want to use my current cig lighter for anything. Then I shoved everything under the center console so that I just have the end of the charger hanging out, look clean.

Does that help?
98EXL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:31 AM   #13

ya, that does help alot, thanks...just one other thing btw. does radio shack sell things so you can tell what gauge a wire is? so i know what kind of taps to buy?
Old March 1st, 2004, 11:20 AM   #14
Banned

yes, every wire related produt, wire, end, crimps, etc are label as to what gauge everything is.
98EXL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #15

Just go to tghe fuse box take the positive wire strip it take out ur fav fuse wrap it around it and jam teh fuse back in then take the negative and drill it to the body
Krisd86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in