Aluminum body panels??? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #1

Aluminum body panels???

I have been thinking for a quite a while about this. How much weight do you think we could shave off our car if all the outer body panels were replaced with aluminum?

And is there a company that makes them? If not how hard would it be to have them custom made?

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #2

why not C/F? i know there's C/F fenders for our car already out, and they're making a C/F front bumper i think, then you got the hood and trunk so save weight. Just MHO
AF_BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #3

I know about C/F but I was wondering about aluminum.

And I am not talking about just the hood and fenders, I am talking about every single body panel (not including the bumpers) .

Old February 19th, 2004, 02:54 AM   #4

Come on, someone must know something. I can't be the first person on the net to think of this idea .

Old February 19th, 2004, 06:42 AM   #5
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally posted by Plumaccordcoupe on February 19th, 2004 at 04:54 AM

Come on, someone must know something. I can't be the first person on the net to think of this idea .
Sorry Chris, you're about 40 years too late and Newton's first law (F=ma) dates back to the late 1600's.

They were doing this same thing back in the musclecar era (60's mostly) back when manufacturers were much more directly involved with racing. Aluminum body panels were factory or over the counter options on a lot of the cars back then, and you could easily save a few hundred pounds of weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:56 AM   #6
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally posted by Plumaccordcoupe on February 10th, 2004 at 05:19 PM

How much weight do you think we could shave off our car if all the outer body panels were replaced with aluminum?

And is there a company that makes them? If not how hard would it be to have them custom made?
I'll provide a little input here...... I could provide a lot, but this topic isn't worth it.

Weight-wise---> aluminum, for a comparable thickness, would weigh about 1/3 the weight of the steel panel. Nice weight savings there, although you would probably lose some important mechanical properties going to aluminum, depending on the grade of aluminum chosen. Higher strength aluminum, to gain back some of the strength lost, would greatly complicate the forming processes.

Company making them---> No! You might be able to find an aluminum body for an AC Cobra (for 100 grand for the body alone), but not for an Accord.

Hard to make---> Hell yes. 2 ways come to mind. They would either have to be hand formed using a hammer and dolly, by an expert metal worker, probably costing thousands and thousands per panel. Or you would need stamping dies and a huge press to manufacture the parts. And since aluminum forms so much differently than steel, you just couldn't use the existing body panels to make a negative, which would then be used to make a positive (a mold). Wouldn't form out anywhere near the same.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #7
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

So?

Who ever said modding was cheap. Especially Accords.

Screw aluminum. I want titanium body panels. Better yet, how bout unobtainium for even greater weight savings. Oh and I want it all for fi-dolla too, because I'm cheap. So if you don't give it to me for that much I'm not gonna buy it, and I'm gonna go around the net telling everybody how much your company sucks too. You have no right to sell your product for enough money to stay in business, and god forbid maybe even turn a profit.

Hey those alteezas look pretty neat.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on February 19th, 2004 at 08:42 AM

Sorry Chris, you're about 40 years too late and Newton's first law (F=ma) dates back to the late 1600's.
I was talking about cars like ours, not ones from 40 years ago . Oh well, guess there isn't a company that does this type of modification for any type of car. Can always have someone custom make them though .

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on February 19th, 2004 at 09:20 AM

So?

Who ever said modding was cheap. Especially Accords.

Screw aluminum. I want titanium body panels. Better yet, how bout unobtainium for even greater weight savings. Oh and I want it all for fi-dolla too, because I'm cheap. So if you don't give it to me for that much I'm not gonna buy it, and I'm gonna go around the net telling everybody how much your company sucks too. You have no right to sell your product for enough money to stay in business, and god forbid maybe even turn a profit.

Hey those alteezas look pretty neat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in