Help?! Suggestions?! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:15 AM   #1

Help?! Suggestions?!

Hi All,
I have a set of Dynaudio 240GT and it doesn't seem that the tweeter will fit in the OEM location. I currently have a set of Diamond Audio HEX for the front components and their tweeters are really small so they fit easily into the stock location, but the Dynaudio tweeters are much bigger. I would like to install the Dynaudio tweeters in the stock location to keep prying eyes away from my car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to work around this? Has anyone run into a similar problem?

Thanks,
Fred
D3rF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:19 PM   #2
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

Send a message via AIM to Loulax07
bigger meaning deeper or bigger OD
i have the HEX tweets installed in my doors, look at my pix
i'd say, in that location, thats the deepest tweet u can go with, since mine r hitting my inner door panel now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe - Nighthawk Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loulax07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:11 PM   #3

I meant bigger as in wider and deeper. Just take the mounting cups for the tweeters that came with the Diamond Hex and that is the approximate size of the Dynaudio tweeter, except that on the Dyn's, the cups are not removable. Well, it is but it is not protected afterwards.

Your install for the tweeter is great, almost like the way my brother has it, but, I do want it to be in the stock location if possible to keep eyes away from my car. Also, to keep my parents yammering down due to popping out a hole on my door panels.

Does anyone know any other tweeters that sound similar to the Dynaudio MD100's but are not as big or is protected without using the cup? My brother just ordered a set of Morels, but I doubt those would fit either. Not too many choices out there for smooth non-bright or harsh highs.

Thanks a lot,
Fred

Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:22 PM   #4

wrong.... www.solen.ca LPG fabric 25mm standard dome tweet that will run circles around a MD100 but not the 120 ..I myself have the max fidelities(going to lose them soon ) those tweets are 30mm in diameter and are a pain in arse...

If you want to keep your tweets stealth.. you'll have to modify the tweeter stock panels... take them out take out the stock tweets and chop off the three posts that hold thet stock tweet... that will provide ample room diameter and depth for the morel, dynaudio, hiquphen and even those damn ushers Mmmmm usher audio 9950.... of course once you want to bring the car back to stock you'll have to purchase a new set of L and R tweeter panels which cost like $4-5 at the dealership.. small price to pay instead of modifying the door panels.. think about it..

anyways let us know what course of action you're gonna take.
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:18 PM   #5

Hey thanks a lot for your suggestions guys. I really appreciate it.

Hey L_fty, I'm positive that there are tweeters that can run circles around the MD100's. Me and my bro have went through so many types of speakers thats its becoming not too smart money-wise to keep that trend up. We listen to a set for a few months and get bored of them, then we swap out for another pair. Lots of people were raving about the Diamond HEX so we tried those out (Man they were good back in the days of Eton). The tweeters just go too high for me over a prolonged period of listening to music. I would walk out of the car with a buzzed feeling, even for a silk tweeter. That when i decided to go for the very mild yet lively dyn tweets. I love the way dyn's component sets have a such a warm roll-off from tweet to mid. Very peaceful, even for Dynaudio's low line tweeters. I could probably discuss car audio with you all day, so many new things that I learn each and every day. Thanks a great huge amount. I see you post all over the audio-video forums. True audiophile and very experienced.

Loulax07: Thanks again man.

Anyways, I'll check up on my car and see about chopping off the legs of the tweet panel. But i'll update you guys on what my final verdict is after i check that out.

Fred
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:26 PM   #6

What would you guys suggest I do to hold the tweeter panel in place? Glue, tape, etc.??

Also, I'm on a stock HU, Xtant 302A Amplifer, Diamond HEX (soon Dynaudio) fronts, and Nakamichi 6x9's, Monster 4G Power & Ground, Monster speaker cables and XLN RCA's. I have a slight hiss that increases with volume. Its not as noticable at low volumes. Any suggestions on what i can do to reduce or eliminate this noise? Xtant told me to ground the HU to the Amp's ground terminal so that both would be on a common grounding point, also possibly eliminating any possible ground loops. Does anyone know where the HU ground is, and what color wire it is? What other suggestions do you guys have to eliminate this problem?

Much appreciated,
Fred
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #7

The hiss it seems would be the LOC... can you tell me something about that.. perhaps it is the weakest link in your audio chain and could be improperly grounded or just poor quality. I doubt the amp would cause the hiss... more like a whine would be a improper amp ground... and a ticking noise would be a crossover component being to close active wiring.

As for holding the tweet.. you could fabricate some custom brackets from thin pieces of metal... or simply use silicone and dab it around the tweet.... once it cures it will hold like no other and if you want to take it off the plastic bonded to silicone isnt permanent.

As for the HEx series... the tweets I havent head but the classic Eton woofers were a dream.. the new woofers are pretty good at best... but mmm Eton german design.

I'm thinking about dabbling in some ribbon Raven's at home... and was wondering if you have heard about them.... coupled with some Usher carbon woofers..
Old February 24th, 2004, 10:47 PM   #8

I suspected that the hiss came either out of my headunit or the LOC. I have a very low quality high-to-low converter from Rockford Fosgate that I had in my possession at the time of installing the amp, so it went in. I am in the process of changing it when I get my Xtant HLA's delivered. If that doesn't work I would probably get one from David Navone or Audiolink. I was just wondering if there were any other possible areas that would cause that hiss. As for grounding points, where do you suggest I ground my amp at on the chassis? Any point on the car you know that works very well? I have my amp mounted in my trunk on the side of the quarter panel. All the way in back. Xtant told me to ground the headunit to the amp terminal. I might give that a try to put them on the same grounding points, but I rather not have to run another wire all the way back to the trunk area.

I'm not too familiar with home audio (because I can't afford it), but I have heard that since the Raven ribbon tweeters are lighter than dome, they are very fragile. So, handle with care. Also, they require a bit of tuning to have a nice warm sound, but should hold the highs very well, sounding formed, crisp, and detailed. I never heard them before so I don't want to tell you what I hear from others because they don't have the same ears as I do. Only read reviews about them, or did my research on the technology. Home audio is too rich for my blood right now. If only I had the money for that. (I'll just stick with car audio instead, more affordable (kind of)). Acutally, Computer speakers are more affordable. hehe. I just purchased some Klipsch Promedia 4.1. Wonderful warm sound with unsurpassed rolloff. Best in the US (at least in the computer industry )

Thanks a billion, I can just keep talking about speakers all day long! But I must restrain myself.

Fred
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #9

As for Xtant's suggestion... I would try it... radioshack some 8gauge ground wire and run it ad hoc back to your trunk and see if it ends the floating ground(if indeed this is the problem). As for proper ground points... and major point that is going to be the solid chassis connection to the car is fine.. just make sure(which I know u know ) to use a star washer and sand down to bare metal.

As for those Raven's, I heard a set in my friend's Legend's ride... lord did they sound awesome... but the horror stories of trying to tune these finnicky bastids might turn me away from them.... He has ID mini horns coupled with ribbons... I must say the car sounded airy open and just pure bliss.

I'm parting out all of my car audio(planning on selling the car end of this year) so.. home audio is where I will concentrate my audio fetish on. B&K and Marantz are going to be my friends soon ... I'm in need of great drivers... and a keen interest in human speakers.. their woofers seem impressive but the tweets are not.

LOL.. I love to ramble... maybe I missed it.. but what are you powering your GTs with? Stock location for those tweets will need careful tuning as reflections and speaker distance are going to pose a problem for your soundstage... give us updates as soon as you start the installation and the initial audition.
Old February 27th, 2004, 12:53 AM   #10

Yea I'm going to use the Xtant HLA's and ground the headunit to the amplifier.

I am running the Dynaudio's on the Xtant 302A amplifier (75X2 watts RMS). Should be adequate because I'm not into competition level sound quality. I'm going to use Xtant's expansion module RM4, that makes the amp technically a 4-channel and bridges the amp down to two ohms so that it can run my rear Nakamichi 6x9's. Although, I do want to get my hands on the old school 2200ix (100x2 RMS ). That amp is so nice and was there flagship model. My bro just got one off of ebay, sweeeet amp.

Yea, I do know that the tweeters and speaker setup will require some tuning. Especially, because the dyn's sound totally diff from the diamond hex. I tune after every new component goes in or anything is installed, you probably know all about that.

Marantz, yummy, even their mini system sounds totally awesome and clean. I couldn't believe it the first time i heard it. It made me disappointed in what i had. Haha, great speaker choice man. Great sound quality too.

Also, have you heard anything about the Infinity Basslink subwoofers? I don't know how good they are. My friend is going to get one but i never heard it because i've never been quite interested in the basslinks, but I might if they sound any bit decent.

Thanks much L_fty,
Fred
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #11
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

basslink is pretty good for SQ.....
gives me the nice bass presense i am looking for w/o the rumble
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #12

Hey,

thanks a lot Loulax07. is the basslink just punchy bass or does it have a nice roll-off from the diamond hex mids upfront to the basslink subwoofer? i prefer a warm roll-off, not the rumble. my friend is loking for the same thing in his music. i'd rather hear it in my car than outside or have other people hear it from a distance. Friend's system is going to be a nice SQ system probably with a nakamichi headunit, and perhaps some nakamichi 6.5 fronts and if it sounds good, the basslink.

could you check up on that for me? thanks.

Fred
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:19 AM   #13
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

i will let you know after i deaden my entire trunk and remove my 6x9's
lol
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:34 AM   #14

Nak speakers suck major balls. I had their SP6.5 component speakers... which are basically the glass-woven vifa woofers but made at a much lower grade quality... crossovers that had retarded crossover point with a db rolloff too steep because the woofer's natural rolloff simply sucked... as for the sound.. midbass was hollow given that the driver's depth is massive about 2.8inches.. the tweets are quite smooth with extended highs but simbilance when it came to reproducing female voices... that component system cost me $230 or so at carmedia1.com I was soooooo pissed at the component set I tore them out and sold it for half of what I paid.. ugh Nak may make great HUs and pretty good amps... but I would spit on their component sets.

My fiends kept telling me it was my install... but no boys and girls.. I had tried 3 installations.. which all worked wonders with other speakers sets(rainbow, peerless,dyns, ushers, adire, swan, eton, seas... each mid had it's ups and down due to the nature of the basket.... but none of them displeased more than those above Naks.. friggen even a set of Pioneer Rev components walked all over those Naks in the midbass department using just stock plastic baskets... ) ARGH!!

Last edited by L_fty; March 2nd, 2004 at 07:37 AM..
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:27 PM   #15

Hi

Loulax07: Thanks, keep me updated.

L_fty: Thanks for your input on the Nakamichi speakers. I was thinking more along the line of their coax speakers, but I guess now I have to go listen to them. What 6x9 speaker would you recommend? I had a pair of Infinity Kappa 3-Way which did not impress me (probably because it was a 3-way). Now i have the Nakamichi's which don't create enough bass as they should. I need my 6x9's to be versitile, because I listen to every type of music. So far, I have not found a 6x9 to my liking, but you might know something that is worth my time trying. I was thinking of maybe Boston? Haven't had a chance to really listen to those, but I'm thinking either the Rally series or the Pro series. I heard the new NX series and I don't like them at all. Just seeing what other brands I should look out for. Thanks a million man, you've been a great advisor.

Fred
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:20 PM   #16

Best 6x9s I've heard out of all these years are four brands that come to mind.. and all simply blew me away with their performance with clean power.

1) Focal polyflex 6x9
2) Rainbow Soundline 6x9
3) Kicker freeair 6x9
4) TangBand freeair 6x9 (8ohm)

IMHO: Kicker>Rainbow>TB>Focal
Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:08 AM   #17

Thanks L_fty

Know where I can get my hands on the kicker freeair or the rainbow soundline? I've been looking around for someone who could get the rainbow line of speakers. I looked on ebay but they have nothing of the sort on there. I also checked on
Arcaudio.com but i also saw nothing except the subwoofer. The kicker freeair seems old school, might be tough for me to find. Let me know if you know where i can get these. Thanks again!!

Fred
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:11 AM   #18

6spdcoupe on this board is a rainbow dealer and very cool guy.. pm him... or visit rainarc.com and e-mail the guy there.. good prices as well. As for the kicker freeair woofer... wow. it is old school and quite wonderful.. only thing I can suggest is keep trying eBay, sometimes they are sold new... tell us how you make out... besides the tangband isnt a slouch either... it needs plenty of juice to drive it's 8ohm coil... but the beast can play cleanly with authority to 70-80hz (LOL no way in hel will it do what the specs say of 35hz heheh tech sheets slay me... )

TB info:
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w69-1042.asp
http://www.nuera-acoustic.ca/products.html
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:07 AM   #19

Great links. Thanks.

How do the Rainbow Soundline 6x9 sound? Low, unmuffled bass that is versitile enough to even play hiphop then some classical? Clean vocal reproduction? Warm roll-off? Just seeing if it has what i want in a 6x9. I don't know anyone who have rainbow components for me to listen to so i'm not experienced in this category. Do there Soundline 6.5 components sound any good, or would you have to step it up to a higher line to be happy? I just want nice clean sound i can enjoy while i'm in my car (you know how it is . ). No competition here

Also, how was your Arc Audio CXL2100 amplifier? Did they sound nice and warm? I keep reading that they are great high end amplifiers, and I see that you owned one too. Any particular reason you chose Arc over other SQ brands? I think i will be getting a new amplifier soon because my Xtant amplifier is continuously disappointing me and causing more and more problems. I'm just fed up, too much work with little enjoyment. Just don't know which company to choose yet. I might go McIntosh just because, but if Arc is great, I wouldn't mind.

I want to take a second here to thank you L_fty. You've been such a great help to me. Lots of great advice. I really appreciate it. I thought no one would respond to my thread. Thanks!

Fred
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:48 AM   #20

L_fty
I went to www.solen.ca looking for the LPG fabric 25mm standard dome tweeter, but i don't know exactly which model I should be looking at. Is it the 26NA or the 25NFA under car audio hifi that you are talking about? If they are as good and you say and can fit in the stock location, and pe it iare not expensive, I'll probably get them. Also, do they come with a crossover or can I just hook it up to the dynaudio x-over. This is one brand I am unfamiliar with. I hope it is not harsh on the ears and much better than the MD100's as you said.

Fred
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:51 AM   #21

Those Rainbow soundline have great vocal reproduction, especially female voices.. midbass is authoratative but will never pound like a subwoofer... as for it's smooth rolloff.. I cant say about the woofer but the blend from woofer to tweet seemed seemless and transient... the only thing about these 6x9s is that they are quite "in your face" so sever off axis installation is needed hence rear parcel shelf install is perfect..

Midbass clarity improves greatly if installed in it's own MDF pod sealed from the trunk... midbass becomes slightly boomy with more "oomph" if ran free-air. I gave the kickers a higher rating because they sounded wonderful free-air with punch, clarity and "oomph"... of course their freq. range is limited to as it being a 1-way design.

As for Amplifiers... Arc audio, zapco, PPI art, tru technology, and A/D/S have all impressed with clean power and very low AUDIBLE distortion... the term warm is quite realative and purely subjective... Tube driver blue amps have tremendous distortion and fuzz... but of course that's the general nature of Tubes and ppl love the warm, airy sound that is added to music from them... I love the midrange and treble of tubes but midbass and woofer control loses alot of it's control and tend to have weak and somewhat sloppy midbass... on the other hand solid-state amps.. especially the class A tru and zapcos.. gave me great midbass control distinct midrange but highs tend to be robotized a little... you can tell the difference from tubes to these easily...

The arc audio I purchased because I had found a great deal from a friend and I wanted to try something different...the amp is generally great and will no doubtedly produce equal or greater poer output with minimum gains, the chassis stayed cool in the summer(slightly warm on days I went crazy with the volume), internal electronics look good... distinct seperation of transformers, thick gauge wired used with outboard FETs that were actually cooled the right way... (unlike PPI, and hifonics LOL another story...)

All in all arc amps, the cxl series are great amps that do their job quietly and efficiently. The xxk series have similar internal components but a chassis that has a better cooling system(LOL more heat radiating fins on the outside...)

If you need info on the other amps mentioned lemme know...
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by D3rF
L_fty
I went to www.solen.ca looking for the LPG fabric 25mm standard dome tweeter, but i don't know exactly which model I should be looking at. Is it the 26NA or the 25NFA under car audio hifi that you are talking about? If they are as good and you say and can fit in the stock location, and pe it iare not expensive, I'll probably get them. Also, do they come with a crossover or can I just hook it up to the dynaudio x-over. This is one brand I am unfamiliar with. I hope it is not harsh on the ears and much better than the MD100's as you said.

Fred
25NFA is the one you would looking for. Remember to give them a good 60-70hours of breakin time... they will be harsh the first week but a dramtic change occurs once they breakin.. similiar to my max fidelities... they sounded like @ss the first 2 weeks.. but after that WOW

As for the crossover... gimme the specs on those dyn crossovers.. looking at the LPGs... the Fs is 1700hz and you should cross them about a 1/2octave above this... so anywhere in the 2500-3000hz would be great... also remember these tweets are 8ohm so your crossover point on the dyns will be dropped a good 1.5octave... if it's too low you will severly lose power handling and these will distort.... just becareful on that note.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:36 AM   #23

Specs for the Dynaudio X250 X-Over

Crossover Frequency: 2800 Hz
Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohm
Power Handling: 120 W
Dimensions: 38x84x145 mm
Net Weight: 0.35 kg

Will the X-Over work with the LPG 25NFA and sound correct?

Yay! New knowledge for me with X-Overs and Tweeters!

I have just decided that I will be going back to stock rear 6x9s. They sounded fine and were not neccessary to replace. I should not have changed them in the first place. Wasted money that I could have spent on Components up front. Oh well, you live and you learn.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:51 AM   #24

Fred, given the fact these crossovers are @ 2800hz on a 4ohm impedence curve... if you connect a 8ohm tweet you will be approx. 1000-1500hz on those LPGs... and as you raise the volume the LPGs will distort.. unless you connect a 8ohm variable resistor to compensate... I recommend against the LPGs if you decide to use your existing dyn crossovers... heheh we could modify them to accomodate these tweets.. how good are you at soldering? juuuuuust kidding if we were local I'd do it for you.. but I dont want to be held responsible for any errors...
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:35 AM   #25

Sigh

Thanks L_fty. What tweeter would you recommend now knowing the posed problem? I wish my MD100's were smaller, I would have been very happy . I'm a bit baffled right now.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:21 AM   #26

Peerless RDC2000, Morel MDT43, Max fidelities(although huge will fit behind stock tweet panels), Vifa D25A, ID NX30 to name a few...
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM   #27

Thanks L_fty

I'll look into those tweeters. See what I like. Heard anything about the Xtant Tweeters for their Slim Component set? I know those back in the days was a fierce competitor in sound quality competitions. They are supposed to have really good highs and are not harsh. Just seeing if you know anything about this.

Thanks
Fred
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:55 AM   #28

Sorry bro.. I never really followed Xtant's line of speakers, amps, woofers...
Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:34 PM   #29

It's alright.

Their newer Xtant models do not compare to the SQ that there predecessors possessed. Ever since MTX took over Xtant, their sound quality has not been the same, except for the 2 lines of amplifiers that MTX decided to continue producing X603 and X604. They are quality stuff. The only problem people would have is with the expansion modules that may be added onto an amplifier. Back in the days, they were compared along with high end audio companies. They produced amazing sound quality, very warm and great tonal balance. Their Components were award winning I know for a fact. Not many people follow Xtant anymore, very sad. Back then, they were equivalent to McIntosh and Audison of today (status wise).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in