audio help - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #1
Saiken

Send a message via AIM to DrachenV6
audio help

What is the best possible audio upgrade/combination (bang for the buck) for a stock accord?

Should I just replace the speakers on the doors and in the rear? Headunits? amps?

I dont know jack about audio, and I only have ~500$ to spend..

If you guys could list brands and prices, it would really help me out alot. Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DrachenV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #2

i need help in this area to? i have a little more to spend though so give me some suggestions to.
98blueaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #3

well the people to ask are like l_fty and illusion, they know there stuff, but a good headunit in my opionion is always a good start to any kind of audio, front and rear speakers are a really good option, for the rear 6x9's alpine type r's are a good choice and same with infinity kappas, which can both be done for around 100 bux, for the fronts, mb quarts are good, but for 500 bux you could really only do a good headunit and good rear speakers, if you go with around a 200 hu, you could do components up front and speakers in the rear, but you would need a amp, i would say start with a headunit and the rear speakers, save some more, get the fronts and a amp, but you could also do a hu and subs and a amp, depends on what all you want, r u looking for bass or clarity
Midnight Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 26th, 2004, 08:02 AM   #4

Midnight has a very good point. So let's break it down so we all can understand. You have a 100% stock accord and have $500 to blow on a "upgrade" to your stereo. Ask yourself the following questions and with the answers in your next post we can provide a direction for you:

1) Do you want to keep you car "looking" stock even after the "upgrade"?
2) Are you into bass heavy music? something a subwoofer would suffice...
3) Would you like better clarity from your internal speakers?
4) Do you want your HU upgraded that can offer additional AUX inputs for things as iPODs...

$500 can provide:

1) Pre-owned subwoofer/amp/LOC for about $500 eBay
2) Upgrade to muuuuuuuch better coaxes front and back and money left over to roll some mary janes
3) Upgrade amplification of stock speakers w/LOC
4) Swap out stock HU for aftermarket HU

Some ideas thrown together.... major factor is going to be external amplification or internal(HU)... that will dictate what kind of speakers you should get... and will affect how powerful of a subwoofer you will need... questions questions questions hehe but not to worry all of us dont sleep and are on edge to help out a fellow audio newbie!
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #5
Saiken

Hi L_fty,

Yes my accord is stock, audiowise.

1)I would prefer the car to look stock, except for maybe the headunit.
2)I listen to hip hop, trance, and some classic rock
3) I would like better clarity from the speakers, definitely. Im willing to replace the oem ones if it means improvement.
4) An upgraded headunit would be ok too. I dont have an ipod, but I could get one if they go well together.

I hope that helped narrow things down..Let me know what you think.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:38 PM   #6

1000+ watt fosgate amp would be nice
sh0rti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM   #7

Here's mine $1000 Installed

New Clarion 835 Deck $200 Ebay
Clarion Used 4X100 amp $100 Ebay
New MB Quart 6X9 and Doors speakers $260 Ebay
270 install
I also have 2 JL 10's and amp w/ box from a friend.

I recommend researching decks on ebay. Clarion is the shizzle. also get a sub or two in a box with a cheap amp that has a crossover. you can replace the stock speakers later.
I know my audio stuff, so feel free to ask me for more info.
sevdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by DrachenV6
Hi L_fty,

Yes my accord is stock, audiowise.

1)I would prefer the car to look stock, except for maybe the headunit.
2)I listen to hip hop, trance, and some classic rock
3) I would like better clarity from the speakers, definitely. Im willing to replace the oem ones if it means improvement.
4) An upgraded headunit would be ok too. I dont have an ipod, but I could get one if they go well together.

I hope that helped narrow things down..Let me know what you think.
I'd rcommend keeping your car stock and take advantage of your steering wheel controls and 6cd changer... grab a high quality LOC(this will step down the high level output from your stock HU into a low level input for the external amp).. next look on eBay for a 4 channel amp.. names to look for A/D/S, Zapco, Arc, PPI .. if you find one around $200 and can give at least 50watts per channel I say go for it... as for speakers... I recommend changing the front speakers with a component set and leave the rears as stock.

Gains on the amp will compensate with higher gains for the front stage speakers and lower gains for the rears....if you are interested in this direction.. I can suggest some great upfront speakrs that will provide excellent midbass...

Once you have your internal speakers up to par with clarity and some midbass presence... you can look into the future for a add on subwoofer with sub amp... go slow and in pieces.. upgrade one by one.. and you will enjoy the outcome much more than just "tossing in some cheap amp with some generic box" and call it a day...
Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:26 PM   #9

If you do decide that you want to replace your headunit but still want to retain the factory steering wheel control, Pac Audio makes a component model # SWI-X that turns the controls into Infared signals that your headunit can receive. It is pretty costly, (about $60), but if you have an uncontroled urge to get an aftermarket HU but retain stock control. There you have it. Just giving you all heads up.

But in DrachenV6's case, L_fty is right. Leave the rears stock, its not really neccesary to replace them. A decent 2 channel amp should cost you a little over 100 at most (used on ebay). A good quality LOC costs about 20 bucks (www.davidnavone.com or Audiolink ($30)). Spend wisely on your front components. Quality components are expensive. You'll probably end up spending roughly 200 or more on those. Add up wiring costs, depending what quality wiring you buy ... $50+ (Monster or Stinger). That should be a bit under your $500 cap. I believe that should give you a pretty impressive audio setup. As for brands, L_fty should be able to recommend some quality pieces. Rememeber, cheap components will cause you much pain in the future to have to reupgrade and not to mention more time and money (unless you're an audiophile and don't mind it . ). Save the subwoofer for future expansion, quality fronts will make the music so much more enjoyable

Fred
D3rF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:08 PM   #10
Saiken

wow thanks alot.

Is an loc a line converter?
Ill be looking for parts, so it would be great if you guys could recommend speaker brands and models.

I want to try to install it myself, so could u guys list the small stuff that I might need? e.g. sound deadener, sauder, misc wire stuff?
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:14 PM   #11

Couldnt have said better myself Fred.

DIY items you will need:
1) LOC(as mentioned above)
2) screwdriver, wirecutter/splicer/stripper
3) butt connectors, T-taps(to tap into the speaker wire output from the stock HU), electrical tape(fully cover those butt connectors), friction tape(so wires dont rattle)
4) sound deadener(raammat, 2nd skin, dynamat xtreme, brow bread) see which one you like.. at least 10ft per door
5) spacer rings for your front woofers(if using stock locations)..basically rings made out of MDF wood to space out the woofer's magnet from your window
6) 14-16gauge speaker wire (50ft more than enough)
7) Amp installation kit(Walmart has some schosche... cheap but good quality) (4gauge.. do it right the first time so you dont have to ever do it again)
8) self-tapping sheet metal screws
9) silicone.. to seal around the mdf ring

optional:
10) acoustic foam(this will be placed behind woofer to help with midrange)
11) spray adhesive(spray on foam so it stick to inner door skin)
12) scotch guard(to spray on foam so no mildew occurs)
13) Distrubtion block(for future upgrade of powering subamp...)

components:
A) 2 or 4 channel amp
B) Front component speakers

Look all of this over and guys fill in stuff I may have forgotten.. Drachen.. tell us your budget for the amp.... speakers....after you price out the misc stuff(1-9)
Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:49 PM   #12

Yes, wiring is a pain in the @$$, especially if you have to redo them later on. Take my word on this, I had to redo my wiring, it was such a hassle to take everything out again and put in new wiring.

Also, note where you want to install your amplifier, the closer you mount it to the front of your car, the less distance signal has to travel to get to the amp, lowering your chances of picking up noise from other active wires in your car. If you are going to mount it under the passenger seat, of course, you would want a small amplifier, (Arc 2050, Soundstream Reference 300 is knows for clean sound but somewhat flat overall, or Zapco Studio series amps are great). These on ebay should run you no more than $150 MAX!!! If you mount it in your trunk then, size is not as big of a factor, but spend money on well shielded wiring, or else you will pick up annoying noises (don't skimp on this too much).

Make sure the RCA's are well shielded and are twist pairs which lessens the effect of a vibrating magnetic field around the cable. Run the power cable (4 or 8 gauge) separate from other cables (especially RCA!!). If you do have to run speaker wires with the power cable, be sure to not tie wrap them together, keep them as far apart as possible, don't let them travel together side-by-side for too long.

Heres a tip for you: GROUND PROPERLY !! This is a problem I had to deal with. It was a headache. Alternator whine is unbelieveably annoying.

This is just my input on things. Get more advise or do some research to see if you agree with me or can see if i'm wrong in any way. I would love to know so I won't make the same mistake again.

Fred
D3rF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #13
Are you threatening me?

So, after tapping into speaker outs off stock head unit ( t connectors) do stock wires to speakers just lay there dormant @ unused , that is considering i ran all new speaker wires off amp to new speakers
SALVAGED V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:14 AM   #14
Saiken

hi guys,

I got tax money back and have approxmately 600 to spend on audio.

Sorry for not checking the threads earlier, school and work take up a good deal of time.

Im thinking that if I spend 100 on miscellaneous, I would have enough for items 10-13..im going to start looking on ebay for amps and speakers. Ill consult you guys before I place a bid.

If the setup requires a little more money for the sake of quality, Im willing to spend some more.
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #15

this is the deal i found for a deck. check out their store.

MY DECK

Link to 935 series on their store

if you get a deck like this, you wont hafta have an amp for your front/rear speakers. (yet)

this will leave money for some nice 6X9's, door speakers and a sub/amp combo.

Last edited by sevdaddy; March 30th, 2004 at 10:35 PM..
sevdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:07 AM   #16
Saiken

I'm thinking that a good place for the amp would be under the passenger seat. The problem with this would be hiding wires?

I tried looking on ebay for zapco studios, but so far nothing, so ill wait it out until i find some i guess.

I think ill worry about getting the goods before the wiring. My uncle is an electrical engineer, so maybe if I knew the grounding points, he could help me.

would it be cheaper if I bought the amp 1st? I would rather get an amp before the HU.

Ludestud is selling some 6x9 mb quartz for 100, is this a good deal?

how about kicker k693's?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14942

Last edited by DrachenV6; March 31st, 2004 at 10:32 AM..
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #17
Saiken

hey guys,

I know its been a while

Would it be good for me to buy

Alpine SPR-694A 6x9 speakers (150)
Alpine SPR-176A 6 1/2" speakers (120)
Alpine mrv-f540 v12 4-channel amp (360)

Total:620 (not including miscellaneous and posisbly proffessional installation).

Is this worth it or should I wait on the 6x9's, get a different brand then alpine,
or get different model components.

I dont know much about alpine. Their stuff looks nice, but expensive. Let me know guys.THanks
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #18

HERES WHAT IM THINKIN SOON
JL AUDIO XR650CSI (FRONT), XR650XI (REAR), HO WEDGE 12W6V2 (SUB), 500/1 MONO SUB AMP, 300/4 MULTI AMP, CLARION 50X4 TV/DVD IN DASH UNIT. NOT BAD FOR TALK SHOWS AND BALL GAMES.
eimerpepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #19
Your V12, My V-twin.

Send a message via AIM to JonHsiung
What?? Alpine looks like crap!

but yes, their sound quality is very good for a mainstream car audio company. go for it. and do it ebay - it's cheaper.

my input: Clarion sucks!! i have clarion's top of the line HU and it sucks even with my stock speakers and RF amp + 2 sealed Kicker SoloBarics. my old pioneer HU (P8400) could be SOOOO fine-tuned that it will beat the Clarion in anything anyday - except sifting through MP3 discs because Pioneers are notoriously slow at it. The Clarion simply doesn't have enough Q-levels, power, or clarity. Or even backgrounds for that matter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JonHsiung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #20
Saiken

i read some reviews on soundomain
and I can get

Infinity kappa 60.5cs 6.5's 135
Kicker 02k693 3 ways for 150
and a nemesis Nx880 amp for 300

It comes out to be a little more, but maybe its better than alpine? In terms of value would alpine cut it or should i do more research on caraudio before i finalize?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in