optima yellow, alternator, stock fuse box,4 gauge, battery wiring - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #1

optima yellow, alternator, stock fuse box,4 gauge, battery wiring

Hi, if anyone knows the answer please respond, I have a 99 accord ex v6, 1600 watt stereo, alarm, neon tubes inside the car. I just bought a new optima yellow top battery, i've had the alterstart alternator for a while, 180amps alternator. My question is how do i wire 4 gauge wire from my alternator to the positve terminal of my battery, the correct and safe way?

A)

Stock setup uses 8 gauge, which runs from alternator to fuse, then fuse to pos side of battery.

question: should i do the same exact thing except use 4 gauge wire?, ifso will those overload my fuse, since i'll be flowing more amperage from my alt, to my fuse box and cause my fuse to blow?

B) i was told i should use 4 gauge streight from alt, to pos battery, by pass the fuse box, but leave the stock 8 gauge intact from the battery to the fuse, and then disconnect and isolate the stock connection from fuse to battery.

question: is this dangerouse , since there will be no fuse protectiong the 4 gauge to the battery?

please respond... anyone...
waccord777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #2

put your own fuse.
ADDICTED2ICELED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #3

fuse question

so your saying put my own fuse? so do you recomend a ANL fuse if so, how many amp fuse?....also should i disconect the factory 8 gauge going to the alt to fuse,,and leave the 8 gauge stock fuse to bat in place?

Old March 16th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #4
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
hey man if u ever need a distribution block im selling my voodo car audio digi block
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #5

what was the rating of the stock fuse? it's stock alt, right?
ADDICTED2ICELED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #6

the rating of the stock fuse?, i dont know, its the factory FUSE box in the upper left hand corner on my ex v6 99 coupe accord. I think its the main breaker fuse for the whole car, knwo what i mean. also like i said, i now have a aftermarket alterstart alternator rated at 180amps that im using now
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #7

I'm not understanding what you want. Do you want to add an extra 4 gauge to power your stereo or you want to upgrade the alternator to battery cable? If you want to upgrade the alternator cable visit alterstart and pick up the right cable. If you already have a stereo in the car what are you powering it with.

I have a 4 gauge going from the alternator to the battery, 2ga from the battery to the chassis, 2ga going back to the system, and 2ga to ground from the system. I have a Phoenix Gold VB140 140A circuit breaker about 12"s(a tad far but the only place I could find for easy mounting) from the battery terminal going to the stereo. I also use a pair of Stinger HMP PPT battery terminals(single 1/0, single 4 ga, and two 8ga) which gave me plenty of room for my toys(also the two extra posts on my blue top are being used)

If you look right above the bend in my intake you can see the circuit breaker.
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #8

thanks for the reply...im talking about alt to battery

I have the rest of my system coverd, im only talking about the my 180 amp alterstart high output alt. connection, If you noticed, our accords ALTernator connection goes from ALT------> stock FUSE BOX(100amp) then ----> + Batt.

1)
when you ran your 4 gauge wire from ALT to BAT, did you disconect the previouse stock wire from ALT to FUSE? and still had it connected from batt to fuse box?.

2) did you use any type of fuse for your 4 gauge wire from ALT --> battery, for example a 150amp circuit breaker? or is this being paranoid and no need for it.

3) last question, i have the yellow top battery that has the top and side post, will call this primary and secondary connection. i noticed you had dual post also for your blue top. I see you connected a wire to your other + post (the small one secondary) when you did this, did you run wire from your - small post (secondary to ground)? i coudlnt really see from the pic, is is the - primary sufficent?

thanks in advance
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #9

hey man...I did this on my teg, I went into the stock fuse box with the 4 awg the 4awg to the battery (same set up as the accord)...you have to do a little mod to the fuse box to get it to fit so be careful, and not to concerend with looks I guess.....also...1 thing to realize, you can get larger maxi fuses, I think they go up to 200amp, but I am not sure....however, in your instance, there is a little problem with where the cars electrical system gets its power from....

think with me for a second here....

the ELD (electrical load detector---which I believe is akin to the voltage regulator) is built into the fuse box if I remember correctly. I think that the car takes the alternaor's imput into the fuse box, throught the 100amp fuse, throught the ELD and then------>>>the wire going to the batter has 2 purposes, 1 charge the battery, 2 get the power to and from the eld. the thoguth with going directly to the battery is that the eld will keep the battery from overcharging, and the fuse/eld, will help regulate the alternator output. I would be very cautious with going directly to the battery from the alternator....
jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in