upgrading from stock speakers to aftermarket speakers - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Domi_no

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #1

upgrading from stock speakers to aftermarket speakers

i am upgrading my stock speakers to some aftermarket speakers, i already have a pioneer deck installed. I am just wondering do i really need a amp for my new speakers or can i just install with out an amp? will the sound quality be bad?
desiredkarma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #2
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

it's pretty much dead in this section my friend.

I'm no audio expert..... At normal volume levels, they will probably sound pretty good. At higher volume levels, you may notice the sound "breaking up" or becomes distorted (not clear). If so, your aftermarket speakers are underpowered for high volume listening. An amp may be needed at that point.
WHEEELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #3

What wattage per channel does the pioneer produce? Model number? What aftermarket speakers are you looking at? You want to get speakers that are within the ball park for your deck wattage output. If they are too high in wattage rating, you could be under powering the speakers, causing them to not perform efficiently. Crutchfield might help with what works well with your deck. For me, I kept the original deck (6 disc + sat, non-navi), I am running Kenwood 6.5 in the front, 6x9 in the back, KFC-1665S + KFC-6965S. They are loud for mids and highs, but don’t do well with lows and bass. I added an 8 inch powered sub-woofer to fill in the missing lows, and the system sounds great. I now need to add some hush mat to stop some back deck vibration. It’s not perfect, and I’m sure there are much better set ups, but all in all, I’m happy with it.
NickkxO likes this.
Domi_no is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 27th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiredkarma View Post
i am upgrading my stock speakers to some aftermarket speakers, i already have a pioneer deck installed. I am just wondering do i really need a amp for my new speakers or can i just install with out an amp? will the sound quality be bad?
I installed car electronics for fifteen years professionally. So, I may be able to help out here.
What is the model number of the Pioneer head unit that you installed?
What are the brand and model number of the speakers that you will or have installed?
Will you be running a sub in the future?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old November 28th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #5

i used to stock head unit and replaced all the factory speakers. the whole thing sounded very bad. I then bought an apline power pack to make up for the lack of juice in the system. You can always buy one of those if you dont feel the sound quality is up to your standards they just install inline with your regular wiring, quite simple
rave93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #6
The Jester

Yeah we're going to need more info bud.

Stuff like generic kenwood/pioneer/kicker stuff can be ran straight off the head and wired to your old wires. For more serious stuff, or if you just want it to be straight louder then a secondary amp would be a good idea to make some decent sound.

One recommendation I will make no matter which choice you go with, is to seal your doors with some metal flashing and soundproofing material. Guides for this can be found all over the place, and will improve ANY speaker's sound and lower end. In addition adding some buckets/back covers to the 6x9s should have a similar effect if they still sell the things in a decent size.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in