Amplifier Help - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:22 PM   #1

Amplifier Help

I am putting a system together for my new AV6 Coupe 5A EX...

I have Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1s for the front (rated at 100w RMS) and Infinity Kappa 692.5i 6x9s for the rear (rated at 110w RMS)

I have been looking at the RF 801x AMP (100w x 4 RMS) or the JL Audio 300/4 (75w x 4 RMS) to power these 4 speakers.

For the trunk, I have one JL Audio 12" W3v2 Sub with a recommended rating of 300 RMS.

For the sub I am trying to decide between the RF 301s (300w x 1 bridged) or the JL Audio 250/1 (250 RMS x 1 Mono)

My natural tendency is to go for the Rockford Fosgate amps since the output RMS closely matches the Recommended RMS for each speaker and the RF amps are also Less Expensive...

However, I was talking with a rep at the local car audio store and he was trying to convince me that the JL Audio is a MUCH BETTER AMP than the RF. He suggested that even thought the output RMS is lower, that I will get much BETTER/CLEANER sound using the JL over the RF.

Are the JLs that much better than the RF amps? Would I be sacrificing performance by not getting the MAX recommend RMS for each speaker?

Any insight is appreciated.. Thanks.
Navarre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #2

get the jl amps
morpheus6d9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #3

Get JL amps. You will be happy with them.

:-)
ahngo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 20th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #4

i dont know bout them being much better, but JL are also much more expensive.
RF amps r good, you could take a look at us acoustics, crossfire, Xtant. i mean there are so many good amps it just depends on how much you wanna spend.
take a look at 5 channel amps (Hifonics makes one , maxxsonic.com or maxxsonics.com) you might be better off unless you are planning to add another sub in there later on
matador is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:36 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Deuce415
IMO you're looking at a high end product (JL Audio) versus a middle of the pack product (RF). If anything, I would get the 300/4 for the interior and get the cheaper of the 2 amps for the subwoofer.

I highly recommend the 300/4.
Looks: 35% 3M Solabird tint | OEM spoiler | OEM Sunroof Visor | VIS OEM CF Hood | TYC Projectors | CF Eyelids | XenonDepot 4300K H1 HID | TYC Tails
Audio: Alpine CDA-7894 | Apline CHA-S634 | JL Audio 300/4 | Canton RS 2.16 Components | Infinity Kappa 693.3i | JL Audio 12w3v2
Deuce415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:27 AM   #6

I wish JL Audio made a 400/4 (100w x 4) and a 300/1 (300w x 1) amp. Then this would be a much easier decision. My big concern is not giving enough power to my speakers.
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:39 AM   #7

JL makes a 500/5- 100w x 2 front, 25w x 2 back, & 250w sub. Rear channel power doesn't make too much of a difference, especially if you are running a sub, because the gains will be turned down in the back to keep the soundstage in front of you.
cforez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:10 PM   #8

GO WITH JL AUDIO, DID YOU MAKE SURE YOUR INFINITY SPEAKERS FIT CORRECTLY IN THE SLOTS PROVIDED BECAUSE OF THE TRUNK SPRING?
RSinghV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:41 PM   #9

Yes.. Another Accord owner here at AV6 (Greengoose) has the same speakers successfully installed in his car. They should fit just fine.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...&threadid=1551

I love the idea of the JL 500/5. I didn't think about the fact that they might be turning the gains way down on the rear speakers anyway. 25w x 2 might be too low, though. That certainly gives me another option to consider. Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:44 PM   #10

HI!

I got a new JL 450/4 amp (150x2 and 75x2) last month. It is really nice. I don't have any sub, any probably won't add it. I love my system now. :-)
ahngo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2003, 05:04 AM   #11
Jr Member

Go with JL, they have a much cleaner sound, and a pretty decent functional onboard crossover.
jrvtecaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2003, 06:38 AM   #12

Ugh.. there are sooooo many other great brands for amps.. but all I ever hear about is JL this JL that.... even though I still use my JL 250/1.. I'm getting sick of the other amps that people are looking over.

Anyways if you must decide between RF and JL... older model RFs were monsters in power hunger and watt output, but now that they've gone to mass quantity, their quality has diminished.

JL on the other hand have decent on board crossovers, and they like to give the same rated power no matter what input voltage given or impedence shown I think their "e" series is changing that... not sure.. I've stopped liking them after hearing other amps... of the like PPI Art,Zapco studio,Tru copper aaaaaaah heaven
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:29 AM   #13

PPI Art, Zapco studio, Tru copper.. I have never even heard of these brands.. I guess I should research a bit more.

Let me simplify/rephrase my original question a bit:

If YOU had 2 100w RMS in front, 2 110w RMS in the rear, and a 300w RMS sub.... how would YOU power them?
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:57 PM   #14
Jr Member

Well, I guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend. If money isn't really a problem and you want to stick with these brands then I would choose the JL 450/4 for your fronts and rears, and for the sub, I would go with the JL 500/1. I think it's better to have more power than not enough, plus it will hit harder.

But, if you want to choose another brand, all I have to say is Xtant, and if money is low, thier little brother MTX.
jrvtecaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in