How You Paint Da Caliper? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:57 PM   #1

Talking How You Paint Da Caliper?

i kinda wanna paint my caliper but i dunno wat kinda paint i should use and how to paint it perfectly

if you guys no how please show me direction

and how many paint layer do i need to make it look glossy and professional
thanks
MadeInVietNam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2004, 04:21 PM   #2
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
they sell paint for those kind of things on ebay,

and wassup from another VIET brotha
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:37 PM   #3
bryan <3's bomex

i think its called g2 caliper paint
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:20 PM   #4
'//M:.:.

Clean it up real good but don't over dry it.. And use a rag or something to cover your rotors.. they have a -how to- at superhonda.... =)
KLIQUE_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:47 PM   #5

thanks yall nice help
and wsup 2 u my VIET brother
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:48 PM   #6

can i get da link to that HOW TO KLIQUE 13
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:55 PM   #7

Where to get it & How much:
I was looking around for paint at Discount Auto Parts. Started looking at Plastikote paint cans for some Honda black paint. Found that , then found in the heat paint section. Anodizit paint by Plastikote. It had a single base aluminum coat and you could choose between blue or red top clear coat. So you get your base and clear cans.

Each can costs 3.99 , very cheap and the can is of adequate size. You can also find Plastikote ANODIZIT products at Pep Boys, Carquest, Advance Auto parts & Discount Auto Parts stores in your area.

I went with blue for the top clear coat. Then went home and got to work.

--

You first want to remove your wheel. Of course.

You will want to clean the caliper of dirt & road grime or the paint wont stick correctly or at all, ruining your finish. You can use a few methods of cleaning. Wire Brush or Sanding them for the initial, then clean with alcohol and a toothbrush, anything to get the hard to reach areas.

Now get some Sandpaper, 200grit works well at first, as well the wire brush for the initial cleaning. Get the main dirt off. I also basically smoothed a few of the main areas on the direct side of the caliper with the sandpaper. The area you will see most through the rim. The rest I let stay porous looking. The sanding might take 20-30 minutes per caliper , so get ready to get down and dirty. All depending on how much work and smoothing you want to do. You can continue to smooth the caliper with higher grit sand paper. 500 should be good enough.

Next get the sand and dust off the caliper , a quick blow on it , pressured air.....or vaccum will work. Watch the eyes when blowing though and do not breath it in. Just blow , run from the area and dont breath for that few seconds , stuff goes everywhere & might have asbestos from your brakes.

You should then have a nice clean and silver caliper.

You can also use just about any method of cleaning. Just be sure your not using any sort of degreaser that would get on the brake rotor.

Wire brush might be the most effective and easiest method for cleaning. You can substitue that for the sanding. The sanding just helps smooth things out though for a better painting surface....at the same time it also cleans off caked on dirt pretty well.

Now the final prep.

You get a rag , get some alcohol soaked into it and clean the rest of the sand , grit & dirt off the caliper. This will prep and clean the surface of contaiminents and will also help the paint stick. Make sure that the words / indentions have nothing in them and are clean , so they will still show through when painted. The toothbrush soaked in alcohol is good at getting hard to reach areas. Then use a clean paper towell one last time soaked in alcohol and give it a final wipe , there shouldnt be really any dirt left to pick up with the rag. This means the caliper is clean and ready.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:57 PM   #8

Step1: Finished sanding and cleaning.

Once your done with that , you should get a crappy towel and wrap it around your rotor. Its actually very easy. Just grab the middle , place that along the side , then wrap around. Make sure no rotor is showing and the caliper is fully showing.

Now your ready to spray. Make a very light first spray of the aluminum base coat. You should notice it looks a lot cleaner now. Another nice light coat , and possibly a third final coat and touch up any spots that you missed. Make sure to hit at a few angles and let dry in between each spraying.

Step 2: Base aluminum coat added.

Now you simply get the blue , and make another light coat at first and let dry. You can choose how thick to go. It looks pretty good with 2 nice coats. Nothing thick or it gets real blue and deep looking , it will also sort of take away from the silver fleck. But still looks awesome so go with what you like. If you want a deep look , just add more coats.

Step 3: Final Coat applied & Fully Dry

This is by far the best stuff I have ever used on brake calipers. Its meant to withstand heat upto 500 degrees. So you can use this on other hot things , like valve covers and who knows what else you can think up. The shine and depth is awesome. Its cheap and easy.....I also hit a little spot on the front of my rotor in the center (looks like a bolt) that shows through with the rims I have. Ill have to show that later.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:52 PM   #9
mao
v6p gangster

Send a message via AIM to mao
::raises hand:: hey. im 1/8 viet. du ma! can i be a brotha too? lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
mao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:20 PM   #10

niceeeeeeee job KLIQUE_13 lots of details
thankssss alot
and post ur pic when uc an

hahah wsup Mao
all du ma in here ahha
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:14 PM   #11
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

G2 Brake Caliper Paint
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #12
___

if you want the G2 paint, go here:

http://www.g2usa.com/wheel.shtml unless you wanna try to get it on ebay
borinka99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to kewltea
with the G2 system, do you have to do all 4 of them at the same time? I don't have jacks to lift the entire car to take all the wheels off. Can I do 2 at a time? Will the paint try out?
kewltea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #14

thats a good question, i would like to know that too

Alex
static is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #15
Tofu Delivery Boy

Send a message via AIM to The_Tofu_Shop
you only have 4-6 hours to use the paint after you mix it, so you can do 2 at a time if you finish in 4-6 hours as for no jacks, you can always put wooden 2x4s in there, or you can use ramps or roll up on the curb in front of ur house...

Andy 2
SoCal Pride

G-Spec Points: 40
The_Tofu_Shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #16
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
thang cac kiiia dit meeeeeee haha =P

i covered everything up with newspaper and tape and stuff .. with a couple layers of spray and I dried it with a hairdryer .. =]
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #17

hey, whats going on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du3ce
they sell paint for those kind of things on ebay,

and wassup from another VIET brotha
Yo man, Im Viet too. But never heard u said that to ME....

Just kidding bro...

Keep up the good work

Vu Tran
1lif2liv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in