Re-upholster your rear tray for a clean custom look! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2004, 05:44 AM   #1

Lightbulb Re-upholster your rear tray for a clean custom look!

Here is a "mod" you won't see every day:

I removed the rear tray of my V6 Coupe and then re-upholstered it with a leatherette that matched my car's original leather seats and trim. The end result looks really nice and, since my 3rd brake light is on my spoiler, I also got rid of the "dead" brake light on the deck and I can see out the back window a lot better. Another benefit that I have noticed is that this mod reduces rattling (from B-A-S-S Bass) because it makes things back there fit together a little more snugly.

This is one of those small, inexpensive modifications that I think makes a big difference toward making your car look unique and truly customized. All you need to buy is a few yards of water-resistant vinyl leatherette (Jo-Ann Fabrics), and some 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive (any decent hardware store). This stuff will only cost you around 20 bucks. You can use real leather instead of the leatherette, but it is expensive and hard to find. To get the best color-match possible take a headrest from your car into the store with you.

Note of Caution
I've had to remove the Accord Coupe's infamous back deck numerous times to install speakers, tint, fire department strobe lights, etc. I can tell you from experience that it is easy to get loose, but a ***** to get out without bending and cracking the fiberboard, so please take your time and be careful!

Once you have the materials, take out the rear tray (I got rid of the never-used 3rd seatbelt in the process).

Once the tray is out, remove the plastic speaker covers, cut a piece of vinyl that will cover the entire surface area of the tray, spray the tray down w/ several coats of fixative (do this outside, you have to do it quick and it can get messy), and then firmly press the vinyl onto the tray; use your hand to smooth out any wrinkles. Do not wrap the vinyl around the lip of the tray to the underside, but make sure that it is glued right up to the edge (wherever there is that carpet-like stuff, you want vinyl glued down--NOWHERE ELSE).

Once you've let the glue dry, trim the vinyl down until it is even with the edges of the tray. Don't worry about the vinyl not sticking around the little holes on the front two corners of the tray where all the bends are, this section will be hidden from sight anyway. Use a razor to cut out the holes for your 6x9" speakers and use an awl or a BIG sewing needle to start the holes where the screws go to reattach the speaker covers (cut and punch holes from the TOP). If you have removed your 6x9" speakers for some reason you can leave the entire rear deck flat, which I'll bet looks pretty cool too.

Finally, make sure you REPLACE the little plastic clips that fit on the underside of the tray before re-installing it so you get a nice tight fit. I ordered my these parts online from Majestic Honda. Now you are ready to re-install the rear tray!

Sorry for the long post guys, let me know what you think of this!!!

Mike
MArany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #2

looks good
smokedoutv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to aznfunkyflip
DAMN! That's very nice. You did a good job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aznfunkyflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 5th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #4

Very good job!!

I might just do this mod since, I've been wanting to get rid of my unused third brake light...

Mike
NauticaV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #5

do you think there would be any effects from the sun beaming down on the rear deck?
Bucktown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Bucktown
do you think there would be any effects from the sun beaming down on the rear deck?
I asked about that when I bought the vinyl from Jo-Ann Fabric and they told me that the high-quality stuff doesn't fade any faster than leather (everything fades a little with constant uv exposure, including the original carpet covering). I did this modification late last summer and there has been no noticable fading so far.
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #7

That's pretty cool, looks good.

JayDub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #8
Your V12, My V-twin.

Send a message via AIM to JonHsiung
looks good. looks damn good... i think i will have to steal your idea since my third brakelight are LEDs at the top of my rear windshield now.

great idea. you had it first.

JonHsiung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
looks great i love it nice and clean

did u buy it online?
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by chiefy
looks great i love it nice and clean

did u buy it online?
Nope, I made this mod up on my own. I've actually done it twice now, my first set-up got ruined when someone broke out my rear glass. I'm still finding shards everytime I vaccum out the car...

Mike
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #11
JB4 e92

This is awesome man! I really need to do something about my rear tray REALLY badly. All it ever does is rattle when I drive and/or play my system.

Can you post more details and pictures of the removal of the rear tray?

Thanks!

clean2draccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #12

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the procedure, and I don't really want to pull out the tray again...Do you have any specific questions?

Mike
Old April 9th, 2004, 02:42 AM   #13
SILVIA

Send a message via AIM to EuStOn Send a message via MSN to EuStOn Send a message via Yahoo to EuStOn
nice!!!!
i was gonna do something like that, but never had a chance to figure out how to take out the rear penal!! if u can share that will be nice!!

good job tho!!
EuStOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2004, 04:38 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to SumAznFoo
Very Nice =D its amazing how creative people are on this site
SumAznFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #15

Looks OEM . Great job

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #16

That's awesome!
snoopy20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #17
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

Send a message via AIM to slowaccord
it looks real nice...i want to do something like this since i have a spoler and somehow that third brake light broke and it rattles real hard on the highway....is there a way to just take out the third brake light
slowaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #18

u can, but there will be little holes in that cardboard-like rear tray. may as well re-upholster it, it's not that difficult.
nodoubt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #19

I might try some ultrasuede ont deck,pillars,headliner.
wht/accord99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #20
4 bangin'

yea man, that looks great.
Sketch o5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:14 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to SlvrBulletV6
Subtle mod! But makes a huge difference, very clean looking as well! Make this a sticky!
SlvrBulletV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #22
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

Send a message via AIM to slowaccord
im getting a seat fixed and will ask if the shop can also do this for me. wat is a good price 2 pay?
slowaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:46 PM   #23
My car's a pervert too.

I've done something like this, I just modified the rear deck to fit 6.5 spaekers and then recarpeted it. Take a look on my cardomain site listed in my sig. (I'mnot sure how to post pics on here).

Spazzokid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #24

I still think this is a pimp mod. It has been almost two years and the vinyl looks as good as the first day I did it. I'm so glad I got rid of that ugly third brake light!
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #25
Boosted!

Send a message via AIM to ComptechV6
That looks greatttt
ComptechV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #26

I thought this PM reply might be helpful. If you have questions please email me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietmandomy52
Hey,

I saw your thread about reupholstering the rear deck and i have a couple of questions.

First how do you remove the non used seatbelt? did you just cut it off?

Also when i try to take the rear deck off how do i take off that plastic piece that surrounds the 3rd brake light? do i just yank it off? Also any techniques in taking off the rear deck? i have to bend the deck a lil bit to get it off the sides right?

Thanks and any tips you have in mind, it would be much appreciated. thanks.

Peter
Peter,

Yes, you do have to cut the seatbelt in order to remove it, and if I remember right, you must remove it in order to do this mod. I never have riders in the back seat, so I haven't missed it at all. If you have small children or often pile your friends in the back seat, I wouldn't do this mod.

The housing for the third brake light has locking "step" tabs that connect it to the sheet metal in the top of the trunk. You should see them when looking up toward the deck from inside your trunk. If you disconnect the light bulb and push the tabs in, the entire assembly will come free.

Getting the rear deck off without screwing it up is the hardest part of the whole thing. Be prepared to order some extra plastic fasteners if you strip the ones on the bottom of the deck. I recommend working it off slowly, side to side. I used a dowel rod to help pop the rearmost fastener out. Once the deck is free, you may have to bow it slightly to get it out, but the leatherette will hide any small creases you create. Whatever you do, don't get impatient and try to force something! While the deck is off, finish any projects that involve the rear speakers or rear window tint; you will have excellent access. Make sure when you reinstall the deck that you completely secure it at all of the fastener points, otherwise you will hear it rattling when you are playing music with lots of bass.

Hope it looks great when you are done!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in