Tapping the 12v Constant Ignition Lead for Alpine Deck? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:30 PM   #1

Tapping the 12v Constant Ignition Lead for Alpine Deck?

My alpine 9815 deck says it is high current draw so I need to get a wire direct from battery or the fusebox (it says).. instead of normal dash wiring, so can I tap into the 12v ignition wire for the car? Would that screw stuff up having more draw on that circuit (with the add of the deck?) I'd rather not go straght to the batt cuz thats a mega pain.. but if I have to I will...

Suggestions?
halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #2
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

Send a message via AIM to Loulax07
bro, just ask around first to seee if someone has used the stock harness/12V b4 u go and run new wires
Loulax07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:06 AM   #3

Again ppl... dont do a [email protected] install on this. If the manual specfically states run a direct tap to the battery THEN DO IT!!!!!!

Use 10 gauge wire... or for the future if you wanna run amps later on, go 4guage and a distribution block off of that going to your HU

But if you're not thinking about the future then run a FUSED 10gauge wire from the battery, the 12V constant from the wiring harness (some ppl tried using the cigarette lighter or DC outlit) will not have the right gauge to give the HU it's amperage. You'll end up starving the amp or overheating your harness.

lastly...

FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 29th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #4

to get the cleanest power, and the most ample supply, just go spend $10 and get a few feet of 10 or 12 gauge and a little inline fuse and run that to the deck. Quick and easy and you don't have to do any butchering. Tapping into another line in the car and pulling high current might hurt that other line.
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:58 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Deuce415
Crutchfield sells wiring harnesses for the 9815 if you decide not to run the wire.
Looks: 35% 3M Solabird tint | OEM spoiler | OEM Sunroof Visor | VIS OEM CF Hood | TYC Projectors | CF Eyelids | XenonDepot 4300K H1 HID | TYC Tails
Audio: Alpine CDA-7894 | Apline CHA-S634 | JL Audio 300/4 | Canton RS 2.16 Components | Infinity Kappa 693.3i | JL Audio 12w3v2
Deuce415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #6

Ya what I ended up doing was getting a Fosgate 100watt amp power kit for 20 bux.. 10ga wire with an inline fuse and some ground and remote turn on wire.. didnt use the ground though (because the alpine harness has a ground I just wired to the car frame). And ran that from the batt to the deck, also used a wiring harness for the deck because I'm using it to run the speakers for now..
halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in