is my amp overheating? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2003, 07:33 PM   #1
member since forever

is my amp overheating?

This happened a lot last summer, and on the days it was warm this year as well ---my amp cuts off for about 10 seconds, the only thing i think it can be is from overheating. When its happened, i've touched it and its been really hot...Also, it didn't happen all winter. Does this happen to anyone, what should i do?

Also, i have a 12in. sub w/a box in the truck, but i'm looking to get it custom rigged so it dosen't take up so much room. What are the prices i'm looking at, and how have you seen stuff set up?
VTECK999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2003, 08:52 PM   #2

As far as the amps go, yes most amps have a temperature sensor inside and if it gets to hot it trips it, kind of like a fuse, and they will cut out until they return to normal operating temperature.

Some things to check regarding that, make sure there is air clearance around your amps heatsink so it can cool properly, make sure its not mounted upside down. Mounted to a wall is best, with face up being next best, and face down being the worst.

Also make sure the speakers impedance (resistance in ohms) is wired correctly to your amp, most A/B class amps will do 2 ohm per channel stereo or 4ohm bridged mono, make sure your not any less than that ( I was on my amp and it may be dead now ).
halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2003, 10:49 PM   #3
member since forever

ok, i'll definitely take a look at it tomorrow. Also, have you ever seen a fan or somekind of device mounted in a truck? Is it even necessary?

thanks a lot

Old June 1st, 2003, 11:06 PM   #4

You shouldn't need a fan if everything is set up correctly (orientation of amp, speaker impedance)
gjc12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2003, 02:15 AM   #5

you could put one, but only if theresn't enough clearance by the heat sink. and it's usu done when you put it in a covered amp rack, other wise if it's in the open u don tneed it.

one thing could be that your amp is not of good quality and that it's time to buy a new one. i used to own a DHD amp (never get them) it was my first amp n the store lured me to buy it cuz it was chaep. anyways, it overheated raelly quick in the summer n i ended up replacing it with another amp.
matador is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:00 AM   #6
member since forever

its actually a rockford fosgate, i bought it from best buy. This happened to the first one i bought, then i took it back and got a new one, and it happened....i'm guessing there is not enough space for the air to flow.

Also, what about getting the sub mounted or something so that it dosen't take up to much room...Does anyone have pics of their setup??
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #7

www.angelfire.com/falcon/matador

go to audio or install section forgot which.
if you wanna save space tho, the best way is to either get subs that require very small airspace, OR take out the spare tire and put subs in there w a false floor with amps in there too.
matador is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 5th, 2003, 12:32 AM   #8

fans??

aftermarket add-on
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14933

If you really want to do it, build a little enclosure around your amp and add one of these to one side
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14932
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in