Good radar detector - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2003, 03:06 AM   #1
bryan <3's bomex

Good radar detector

anyone know a good radar detector for under 200 bux?
photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
myspace:

hincity:
mastadulog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2003, 03:08 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to eddiesoh Send a message via Yahoo to eddiesoh
hmmm the passport is slightly over 200.

i am a faithful valentine1 user.
eddiesoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2003, 02:19 PM   #3

I like my Passport 8500, but it's around $300. If you are getting one, don't skimp on the price, either get the V1 or the 8500, you'll regret buying an el-cheapo brand later.
accordv602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 9th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #4

i got a bel 960 so far so good (knock on wood) but not verbal
Blazin036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #5
The Music Must Change

Send a message via ICQ to TriKKy Send a message via AIM to TriKKy
Detectors are teh suck. Hehehe.
If you are doing any speed you would really need a detector for, then by the time you hear the alert and hit your brakes the cop has you...not to mention...if you brake in front of a cop, he will just pull you over anyway because he knows you were speeding. Also, a lot of cops use instant on, especially at night when they can see your headlights leading you. If you get pulled over with a detector you can forget about getting out of a ticket....
Also, there is the whole laser detection blocking, which I find to be a joke.
If you have a cop who is your friend, ask him...he'll tell you.

The only thing that I maybe would buy into are the units that "block" I dont know anything about them or if they even work...

Save your money and get something else.
TriKKy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:27 AM   #6

So Trikky umm are Valentine 1's worth their price? (Total radar detector noob here heeh )

Or are radar detectors just not worth it, or perhaps a keen sense of eye sight and awareness just as effective?
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to mikey le
valentine 1 are totally wortth the price, the only problem with them is they are a little too sensitive because they can go off pretty often, also the V1 will let you know a cop is radaring like a good 5 to 6 seconds before you even see the cop, plenty of time to slow down from like 85-90mph but if you always go like over 100mph then get some brembos with the detector
mikey le is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #8
The Music Must Change

I think radar detectors are completely worthless and anyone who hasn't gotten a ticket yet is just lucky so far. 5-6 seconds....cop sees you brake, you are toast as soon as he sees your detector. Also, at night, a cop will just keep the detector off, he'll see your headlights and then flip it on as you go by. NO warning time.

Regardless of what they say, no detector will help you against a laser.

I think a keen sense of eye sight and awareness, + knowledge of your local roads, plus common sense will do fine for you.

Speeding is SOOOOOOOOO rarely necessary. Let's say you are going 70 miles away. You drive at 60mph the whole way and you get there in 70minutes. You drive that same thing at 70mph you get there in 60minutes. Those 10 miles an hour saved you 10 whole minutes, but can cost you dearly. Radar detector companies offer only to pay your ticket for a REASON. You don't see them offering to pay your insurance premium increase do you? Take the extra 10minutes, be safer, and have the ability to DRIVE IN PEACE. When I had my detector the thing would go off, my heart would race, Id hit the brakes, look for cops. As mikey le said, they are sensitive...HOW MUCH are you going to enjoy driving with a detector. Remember my example is for a 70 mile trip...if you are going less than that then what is the point...saving less than 10minutes.

Do yourself a favor, spend the money on a used HID kit or something.

Last edited by TriKKy; June 10th, 2003 at 04:19 PM..
Old June 11th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #9

That won't work for me I go 80 - 90 in a 60 zone. I would save too much time to slow down... hahahaha JK

you are right. In my area the cops use instant on K band, there is no warning! The cops aim press the button and only then will your radar go off. If he is aiming at you... it would be too late.
Crestgel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by TriKKy on June 10th, 2003 at 11:17 PM

I think radar detectors are completely worthless and anyone who hasn't gotten a ticket yet is just lucky so far. 5-6 seconds....cop sees you brake, you are toast as soon as he sees your detector. Also, at night, a cop will just keep the detector off, he'll see your headlights and then flip it on as you go by. NO warning time.

I think a keen sense of eye sight and awareness, + knowledge of your local roads, plus common sense will do fine for you.

Speeding is SOOOOOOOOO rarely necessary. Let's say you are going 70 miles away. You drive at 60mph the whole way and you get there in 70minutes. You drive that same thing at 70mph you get there in 60minutes. Those 10 miles an hour saved you 10 whole minutes, but can cost you dearly. Radar detector companies offer only to pay your ticket for a REASON. You don't see them offering to pay your insurance premium increase do you? Take the extra 10minutes, be safer, and have the ability to DRIVE IN PEACE. When I had my detector the thing would go off, my heart would race, Id hit the brakes, look for cops. As mikey le said, they are sensitive...HOW MUCH are you going to enjoy driving with a detector. Remember my example is for a 70 mile trip...if you are going less than that then what is the point...saving less than 10minutes.

Why are you so against detectors? My 8500 was one of the best purchases I have made for my car, and it has probably paid for itself twice over by now. I'm not a big speeder, but the day that made me decide to get one was the day I got a ticket for going 41 in a 35! If the cop sees you brake and didn't clock you, how can he give you a ticket? Give me a break, if you are against them, obviously don't own one, but don't assume everyone who has one is trying to save 10-12 minutes on a road trip, because that is rarely the case. As for the sensitivity factor, if you have a quality detector it will rarely go off (at least my 8500 doesn't false very often, especially on the highway). In closing, do what you want, but an HID retrofit is technically illegal too, so you better rethink your argument.
accordv602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:51 PM   #11

Couple of quick word problems dealing with speed on the trip I just took to Boston.

a.) Lets say you have a 60 mile trip and you did the posted speed limit the whole way which was 65mph, how long would it take you?

b.) Now, if you were to average 90 mph on that same trip(which I probably did), how long would it take you?

c.) The final result, how much time would you save, averaging 90 mph on that trip compared to the someone (like your grandparents) who were doing the speed limit?

Answers:
a.) 55 minutes
b.) 40 minutes
c.) 15 minutes

So, I saved myself 15 minutes, which was well worth it and I got no tickets while not using any radar detector. (yes I know I was lucky!!!)

Last edited by ricepilof; June 11th, 2003 at 04:55 PM..
ricepilof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:18 AM   #12
The Music Must Change

Accordv602: I never brought into question the illegality of speeding so I dont really need to rethink my argument. I am only looking at this from the driver's side, and what it would cost to get busted...nothing else. No, what I am saying is that even though both are technically illegal, only one will make you do something that would cause your insurance go up. The bottom line is this...I had a radar detector, never got a speeding ticket...I was lucky. It made driving so un-fun though. Constantly watching the stupid thing to see what it was beeping at this time. I had the most expensive Bel at the time, don't remember the model...it is sitting in a drawer at home.
A cop will pull you over if you slam your brakes in front of him to slow down AND he sees a detector he will at the very least pull you over.
The getting a ticket for 41 in a 35mph I understand, I probably do that too. It is in that situation that I see instant-on being a problem. I dont think highway cops "instant on" that often but local ones, sitting on side roads, certainly do. My point is this.....Speeding is so rarely necessary, makes you uptight when driving b/c you always thinking where the next cop is, and doesnt really benefit you. In fact...the further from 55mph you get, the worse your gas milage. Personally, I go 62 in a 55 and 70 in 65. Anywhere else I stay +4mph of the limit. Cops around here tend to give you +7.

RicePilaf: Even though you admitted that you were lucky......think about this. 30miles over the speedlimit, hefty ticket right? How much would your insurance go up if busted? How much do you earn an hour? Lets say the ticket is just $100 (it will be more). 100/4 (15mins = 1/4hour) = $20. For those 15 minutes of the time you saved you would have to earn $20/15min or $100/hr. Granted, everything in life isnt money but still....I would rather take 15 mins longer and have a nice drive than speed and risk it. Just me though. You can do anything you want. Some people swear by detectors....they will all eventually get nailed.

Last edited by TriKKy; June 12th, 2003 at 02:25 AM..
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:41 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to azn010 Send a message via AIM to azn010
i have a v1..i think radar detectors are pretty useless..its better to jus use your own eyes and watch out for cops. doesnt seem like cops usually have their radar on so the usually arent detected anyways.

azn010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by TriKKy on June 10th, 2003 at 11:17 PM

a cop cant pull you over just for hitting your breaks im sorry to bust your bubble but they cant my father is a traffic cop and so i know all the tricks the best thing to do is get to know several local cops (not by getting busted) make good friends with them and when your in some **** they will normally get you out of it.

radar detectors are worth while saved my ass many times but also i know all their secrets for all the stunts they pull on stuff they try to do to catch you. some of the cops here run in unmarked cars like 20 yr olds and they rev up at you and blast off and you of course do too then the cop around the corner busts your ass so i never race anyone unless im doing the reving

but either way a radar detector can pick a cop up before they can even see you. yes they can do where they shoot you just once and thats it and if they do that then ur just **** outta luck no if your going 120 in a 50 your not gonna get ur speed down enough to not be speeding but thats ****ing crazy anyways. look at the bright side if your running 100 in a 40 thats 60 over enough to put ur ass in jail right then and there. you hear ur detector going off no you prolly wont get it down to 40 before they hit you but most cops give 11 mph over before they will come after you. if you could bring it down to 55 getting a ticket for 15 over is way better than one for 60 over right?
EnduroExpertFSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #15

I like my radar 8500, saved me on a few occasions. Most of the time I'm just doing 85-95 on the interstate which is marked as 70. Two weeks ago I was tailing a car at a reasonable distance, detector went off so I got over a lane and slowed down. the car that was in front of my pulled away and there was another car following him. a while later guess what, those two cars were on the side of the road with a patrol car behind each one. I've had several occasions just like that . Only time I've gotten a ticket recently I weaseled out of, I got pulled over with a pack of 6 cars afte rthe cop just clocked the front car and estimated that the rest of us were doing the same speed, that got thrown out nice and fast. (Even though we were all doing the same speed as him, actually I was getting ready to pass him until my detector went off ROFL. Also out here we get one freebie every 18 months, which is about how often I get a ticket, have yet to have my insurance go up. Worst ticket ever was 115 in a 70, thankfully he was just estimating, and wasn't being a ****, because I downshifted and banged through 3rd 4th and 5th with the front end off the ground on my bike after some turd tried to get on my ass when I was already doing about 80 in the middle lane. The cop was nice enough to just write me a ticket for speeding, I started whining a bit, and he said, "you had the front end off the ground for quite a while, you are aware that technically that's exhibition of speed?", so I kept my hole shut, smiled, and signed my ticket No radar detector would have save me there.

I guess I'm lost why TriKKy is so against detectors. It's all personal preference. Telling someone that buying a radar detector is a waste because you have had a bad personal experience with one is like the squid that told me not to buy a scotts steering dampener for my bike because it did no good for him, but every non squid I've ever talked to loves their dampener, or better yet like saying that the chic on the bleachers back in high school was a waste because you couldn't even get her wet, although the rest of us had nothing but good things to say afterwards.

Last edited by illusion; June 13th, 2003 at 08:02 PM..
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:48 PM   #16

Id say V1 (valentine 1) man, ive heard my two of my boys swear by that thing man, plus the guy that makes it used to work for and co invented passport radar detectors, and the passport 8500 are supposed to be the next best thing to the V1.
but belive me, when i get my M3, im gonna get a V1, i dont drive my av6 that fast, i think.
snikwad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 20th, 2003, 01:45 AM   #17

i have a good friend whose a cop and ive talked to him about this subject b4. in florida, i know, that the company that the florida highway patrol cars go with on their radar guns is BEL. BEL also makes a radar detector, which is exactly why i have one of them. it has never failed me once and works great. i know the cops in tampa use BEL radar guns too and i wouldnt be surprised if it were like that in other cities in florida. haha thats kinda funny, same company that makes the radar guns turn around and makes radar detectors.. haha what a scam
djku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 20th, 2003, 03:50 PM   #18

Valentine One. There is no other.

Sam
Sam Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by TriKKy on June 10th, 2003 at 06:17 PM

Well im ticket free and ive gotta reccomend the V1... its great ill sit there and laugh because on some days the V1 will go off, ill slow down, still not see the cop, wonder wtf and then like 30 seconds later there he is...then there are situations where for whatever reason it doesnt go off til the cop is basically right there... The best way i can reccomend a detector is to use it as a sensory enhancement, its not going to make you immune to tickets, just give you a better guess of where the cops are... ya still gotta keep your guard up and be looking for them... The worst situation ive been in is an instant on laser trap... but luckily for me it was a very windy day and i was going the speed limit, had it not been windy i woulda had a ticket. Personally i think im a better driver when i speed, im more alert looking for cops and watching the road as opposed to going the speed limit
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2003, 10:21 PM   #20

I have had 3 tickets total and I can say that maybe 2 were deserved and one was just to fill a quota.... (all said I was going faster than I was). A radar detector will just give you a fair warning to look down and check your speed. That doesn't mean that I would be doing 120 mph... which I have done, but if I am going the usual 10 to 15 over then it will allow me to get within that 5 to 7 mph buffer that they give you.

Personally the best thing that I find to do, is to know the roads and possible, the hide out spots for cops, stay in the right hand lane as much as possible, let some other cars pull away from you and keep an eye on their brake lights. Theradar detector is just as a backup incase if you are not all there.

Trikky I respect your opinion not to speed and I think we all know the risks that are associated with it. Even then I still will speed to a certain degree, but not necessarily just for the sake of reducing the time from point a and to point b. If I do the speed limit I can see myself falling asleep at the wheel and therefore creating a risk that is even greater than a speading ticket. Also when I am doing the speed limit I don't seem to pay attention as much as I feel like I am crawling, therefore giving me a false sense of security.
Bravo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #21

www.radartest.com

picked up a whistler 1785 on internet for $75 bucks, retail from $129-$189.
avail at whistler.com i believe

BEL's and Passports & Escorts are elite if you can dish out the dough.

check performance at site mentioned above

lets just say that it's paid for itself many times over...
oh and know how to use a detector, it's not idiot proof
Hai_c83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 15th, 2003, 06:33 AM   #22

Send a message via ICQ to eddiesoh Send a message via Yahoo to eddiesoh
I love my V1.

i drive 400 miles every weekend and speeding helps!
i hate to admit it, once i cross over to the canadian side...
70 mph is history.
its a 6 hr drive if i go 70mph .. but i usually get there in 4.45.

you cannot rely on a detector all the time.
Detector + Common Sense is still the best combo.
eddiesoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 15th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #23

I have some cheap Cobra I got off Ebay. It only comes in handy at night really, when you can't see a cop car down the road. I've never been pulled over or got a ticket though (5 years...knock on wood). Save your money and get another mod you really want. If you're really set on one though, get a cheap Cobra/Whistler - and just keep an eye out.

Jason
JMBGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in