Which 6x9 to choose? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Best 6x9 speaker, with clean bass response
Alpine SPR-694A 4 33.33%
Infinity Kappa 692.5 4 33.33%
Kicker K69 0 0%
Pioneer TS-D690R 1 8.33%
Audiobahn ABF29Q 0 0%
Focal 690CV 3 25.00%
JL VR690-6xi 0 0%
Eclipse SP8992 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2003, 06:15 AM   #1
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

Send a message via AIM to Loulax07
Which 6x9 to choose?

keep in mind, i want good rear fill, most clean bass possible:
Alpine SPR-694, 35Hz-30kHz, 50RMS,$114
Infinity Kappa 692.5i, 35-21k, 110RMS, $102
Kicker K69, 30-21K, 90RMS, $60
Pioneer TS-D690R, 25-32K, 80RMS, $87
Audiobahn ABF29Q, 20-21k, 165RMS, $106
Focal 690CV, 45-20k, 100RMS, $240
JL VR690-6xi, 53-22k, 80RMS, $149
Eclipse SP8992, 40-20k, 85RMS, $139

I am leanin towards the Kickers b/c they make bassy speakers.....
anyone have any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe - Nighthawk Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loulax07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2003, 06:38 AM   #2

kicker 6x9s! kicker 6x9s!!

L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #3
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

these guys r sayin infinity, so far http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=144795

Old June 9th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #4

INFINITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way, is the price for EACH speaker, so for a pair, it will be $109x2?
oneshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #5
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

thanx!
ALL COMMENTS WELCOME, LEMME KNOW GUYS!!!!!!!!
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:22 AM   #6

Pioneer
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:23 AM   #7

Even though you listed all of those speakers frequency ranges, manufactures use different Total Harmonic Distortion ratings.

So even though the Focal's may be listed with a frequency range that doesn't hit as low, they may be considering it at a much stricter THD rating.

As you already have Focal's I would say go ahead and get that new Polyglass speaker that you listed. The low midrange on the Focal's are incredible, so I would recommend them. But I would dynamat the hell out of those area's otherwise your speakers will rattle everything.

If you can listen to them. You may find that the Audiobahn's or the Kappa's are more in line with you tastes.

Oh and as far as making bass speakers go.... Focal, Eclipse, Audiobahn, and JL all make bass speakers that will put the Kickers to shame.... so don't consider the Kicker just for that reason.
Bravo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:25 AM   #8
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

Bravo- so, for my needs, which would u recommend
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:32 AM   #9
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

also, anyone know the max depth i can get for our speakers? can we use a small spacer or washer if its too deep?
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:50 AM   #10

I can't really say what would be the best for your needs as I haven't heard the new Focal's or the Audiobahn's for that matter.

I assume you will be amplifying the rear speakers so I doubt you really have to worry about the speaker sensitivity. Also depending on the paper content of the speaker, you may find one that is more durable. If you are in an area with high heat and high humidity, then the speakers could possible warp.

Personally I think I will be going with the Infinity Kappa 693.5i if I can fit them in there. But then I am going to get Infinity Perfect's most likely for the front. Just waiting to see if they change to a magnesium cone instead of aluminum.
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #11
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

well, now i am leanin towards the infinity 692.5 and a basslink for the trunk......
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:34 PM   #12
What Da Pho*?

Send a message via ICQ to bachviet Send a message via AIM to bachviet Send a message via MSN to bachviet Send a message via Yahoo to bachviet
Focal

'00 SS AV6 EX Sedan&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
bachviet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Bravo1 on June 9th, 2003 at 02:50 PM

I can't really say what would be the best for your needs as I haven't heard the new Focal's or the Audiobahn's for that matter.

I assume you will be amplifying the rear speakers so I doubt you really have to worry about the speaker sensitivity. Also depending on the paper content of the speaker, you may find one that is more durable. If you are in an area with high heat and high humidity, then the speakers could possible warp.

Personally I think I will be going with the Infinity Kappa 693.5i if I can fit them in there. But then I am going to get Infinity Perfect's most likely for the front. Just waiting to see if they change to a magnesium cone instead of aluminum.
Amazing.. in your first post you recommend Focal with it's "amazing midrange" but yet you havent heard them? "Paper content" of a cone!? Speakers warping from high heat and humidity? Wow from reading just 2 of your posts it shows how un-informed you really are. As for putting down kicker.. you really need to get yourself into a car that has some installed running to a clean RMS amp. Otherwise you need to keep quiet and stop confusing ppl with your jibberish.

"Paper content" of a cone is quite funny.. I'm guessing all speaker cones are made of paper(untreated)? Thicker the cone the better the speaker to you? For every speaker manufactured for the mobile environment.. have treated cones that will not "warp" , but over the years will breakdown to due their porous nature and abuse from being driven. From cheapo pyramids and jensens.. have polyethelene cones to some more expensive entry level Rainbow Dreamlines(CDT audio CL series) have treated paper or carbon coated paper. Manufacturers knows when building speakers in a harsh, humid mobile climate they have to layered or treated to provide some years of service..but of course eventually the sun,rain take their toll and the cones/surrounds do breakdown. Speakers will warp under insane music peaks or morons who want to bump down 10 street blocks but dont understand the functionality of the Gain knob.

Anyways..back on topic..The prefect tweeters will make you run for the hills with their harshness and simbilance. If you go infinity, go for just the kappas or for better midbass for your fronts go for the type Rs from ALpine...

I still stand behind kickers as great 6x9 speakers, not the best, but they do not get "shamed" by Focal, Eclipse, Audiobahn or JL. And can hold their own against the other boys.

Lastly, I'm not a big fan of Eclipse speakers(especially their piss poor coaxials) and their amps (I had one 3640 running) and switched to PPI and then onto TruTechnology. The difference in just switching amps made me laugh at Eclipse sound... very bright and tinny. Their HUs I have respect for though.

Sorry if I said too much, I've listened to too many speakers, amps and installation setups..that I dont need to read from some noob about his skewed knowledge of mobile speakers and brands he'd never auditioned personally.

I'm always here to help! LOL
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:17 AM   #14
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7

L_fty- guys, thanks so much, especially u L_fty
i am in the process of workin with fiberglass, to enclose my backpanels for my comps.... this should make the focals sound much better, as the q-forms r opened in back and the focals need to be enclosed, with a 2" or so port......
once that is done, i will be adding the basslink i purchased last nite..... all that should make my system sound nice and crisp
i will let u all know how it turns out
Old June 10th, 2003, 05:03 AM   #15

Quote:
I haven't heard the new Focal's
Yes I haven't heard this particular Focal 6x9 but I have heard the models that came out before them and I was impressed with their performance. The speaker that he listed is very new so therefore I have not been able to listen to them personally... probably will hear them this weekend. Focal's as a whole have very good midrange and even though the high's car be a little on the harsh side, for rear fill that shouldn't be a concern. Also as the Polyglass line that he mentioned is even better than the previous Polyflex 6x9's that I have listened too, I am pretty sure they are a good speaker.

Quote:
"Paper content"
Yes paper content... as in the percentage of the cone that is made out of paper, not the thickness of the paper. Some of the paper cones actually have a more natural sound, hence why many people use a paper blend. Unfortunately paper isn't the most resistant material in the world so if you put in 100 degree temperatures and a very high humidity level with out using baffles, then the speaker over time can start to have problems or warp as I said. A friend of mine had this happen with his Focal 165K2's. These speakers are not that old either and they have good power going to them, but under extreme conditions these things can happen. That is why so many manufactures are using materials that can sound close to paper, but have the durability as well.

Quote:
Speakers will warp under insane music peaks or morons who want to bump down 10 street blocks but dont understand the functionality of the Gain knob.
I am pretty sure this was not the problem, unless if the JL Amp's went stupid. The speakers were crossed over decently and there should have been plenty of clean power. If anything the W7 was the one that needed more power, not the Focal's. Which by the way the whole setup sounds incredible but the K2's were rippled or warped as my friend said... even though I didn't get to see it personally. I haven't had this happen to me before, but I talked to a local installer and he said that it's problem that does occur in this area.

Quote:
The prefect tweeters will make you run for the hills
Yes they are especially if you don't turn down the tweeter level's. I have to check out the Type R's in a good setup and then make my judgement from there.

Quote:
still stand behind kickers as great 6x9 speakers
I never said the Kickers were poor speakers because I personally like them, but as I said before, don't assume that the Kicker 6x9's will produce the best bass as they were a sub company. Many of the companies listed produce sub's that out perform the Kicker's but unfortunately at a higher price as well. As far as 6x9's go, listen to each one and try hear if they have the qualities you like because the sub's will not represent their 6x9's.

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Eclipse speakers
I think Eclipse got too much hype over time. Yes their head units and subs are nice, but I haven't seen anything really new from them in the last couple of years. Many company's are coming out with great products and I just haven't seen anything new from them.

Quote:
I've listened to too many speakers, amps and installation setups..
Well i have listened to quite a few as well.. many that I have liked and many that I haven't. The way the whole thing is setup makes a huge difference as I have seen people with good equipment that make it sound poor... even though they think it sounds great.

Quote:
I dont need to read from some noob about his skewed knowledge
Sorry didn't intend on stepping on your toes. That's just my personal opinion. All the brands I have commented on I have heard, but I may not have listened to a particular model.

Last edited by Bravo1; June 10th, 2003 at 05:11 AM..
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by Bravo1 on June 10th, 2003 at 12:03 PM

Sorry didn't intend on stepping on your toes. That's just my personal opinion. All the brands I have commented on I have heard, but I may not have listened to a particular model.
No need for an apology, that's how I am.. I tend to mouth off on ppl when I see a discrpency. In your first 2 posts you came across as a person who's been using the "hear-say" method of audio suggestion. "I heard it from a friend who said they were awesome... hence I also believe they are awesome" That's how you came across, so I got a little pissed at that.. I've seen it too many times when newbies getting into car audio get swayed into purchasing the wrong equipment or installation issues that arise from poor suggestions. I apologize for jumping the gun assuming that's the kind of person you were...

We're cool, and I thank you for clearing up what you had said earlier! We're all here to learn and rejoice together with our unique car audio setups and common knowledge
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #17

Hey don't worry about it. I am just here to try to get information and share some if possible. There are alot of things I don't know especially about the 7th Gen setups, so I want to get my hands on whatever I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in