calibrating speedometer - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:53 AM   #1
Has a Large Member

calibrating speedometer

anyone know how to recalibrate the speedometer after putting on different size wheels and that sorta stuff? is it even possible at all?
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2003, 10:46 AM   #2

i dont think you can recalibrate by yourself...
ask a friend to roll at the same speed, adjust it by hand... someone mentioned it before...
accordted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #3
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
your outta luck.
abram2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 10th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #4
Has a Large Member

thought so...so how do they recalibrate for jacked up pickup trucks?
accord126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #5

actually... there is a way... i dont if i saw something online or if it was in a car magazine, but i think there is a way to realibrate it.
str8acura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #6

nope not on this car, some yes but not on this one.....

-In storage-
1993 Lexus sc400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-RIP-
99' v6 EX coupe
A lot of shaved stuff,candy paint,DR. EVIL TRANNY, Intake,Headers, EVO Exhaust, 19" Falken wheels, exc....
gHETTO gREEN :) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #7

OF topic sorry: Getto Green u have any other pics of ur car
Suhvas2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:46 AM   #8
in the Motorcity baby!!!

Send a message via ICQ to mlrtimev6 Send a message via AIM to mlrtimev6 Send a message via MSN to mlrtimev6 Send a message via Yahoo to mlrtimev6
aftermarket gauges sometimes let you but not these... and driving around at 60 while trying to shove your speedo needle on sounds pretty damn stupid to me.
mlrtimev6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #9
AV6 OG

Send a message via AIM to HIREN
for those jacked up trucks, and most american cars Hypertech makes a power programmer with which you can enter in your tire height and the computer will automatically adjust for it, theres a bunch of other settings u can mess wtih too like timing, speed limiter, shift characteristics, wish they made something similar for the hondas

2004 STi
[email protected]
2010 335d
[email protected]
HIREN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by HIREN on June 14th, 2003 at 11:56 AM

for those jacked up trucks, and most american cars Hypertech makes a power programmer with which you can enter in your tire height and the computer will automatically adjust for it, theres a bunch of other settings u can mess wtih too like timing, speed limiter, shift characteristics, wish they made something similar for the hondas
That would be very expensive to put into a car. Really how off could a car speedo be compared to a jacked up truck.

Though it would be really cool to have and use .

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #11
AV6 OG

Send a message via AIM to HIREN
Quote:
Originally posted by PlumAccordCoupe on June 14th, 2003 at 11:58 AM

That would be very expensive to put into a car. Really how off could a car speedo be compared to a jacked up truck.

Though it would be really cool to have and use .
it only costs around 300 for all the applications they make, and it plugs into the OBD II diagnostic port

really worth it for the stuff it does, my friend got really good gains with it on his GMC Sierra 5.3L ext cab truck
he ran a 15.1 with i/e and the hypertech power programmer

2004 STi
[email protected]
2010 335d
[email protected]
HIREN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #12

The speedo needle automatically sets itself when you turn the car on, you just can't tell because the pin is in the way. If you take the pin out, the needle will just hang down until you turn the car to the on postition. But then it snaps up and holds itself. It rests so the the top of the needle is just below the hole for the pin. The pin comes out with a gentle pull with some pliers, and it pops right back in.

Hope that helps.
DanLeCompte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Suhvas2001 on June 10th, 2003 at 08:04 PM

OF topic sorry: Getto Green u have any other pics of ur car
click my www icon....

-In storage-
1993 Lexus sc400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-RIP-
99' v6 EX coupe
A lot of shaved stuff,candy paint,DR. EVIL TRANNY, Intake,Headers, EVO Exhaust, 19" Falken wheels, exc....
gHETTO gREEN :) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #14
Founder of PsychoLemon CC

Send a message via ICQ to DeadDoc Send a message via AIM to DeadDoc Send a message via MSN to DeadDoc Send a message via Yahoo to DeadDoc
Bringing back an old thread bc I have this same question....

Isnt it just a math formula? there by changing the formula would fix the problem... the needle just doesnt move by itself... it runs from an electonic source that has to have sum kind of math. You cant just say im going 50mph without a formula.... thats why its written 50 miles over "/" 1 hour. Basic physics.

So wouldnt there be some way to alter the formula? Just a thought.
DeadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #15
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

It's programmed into the ECU which isn't flashable and there's no way to reprogram it to the best of my knowledge, at least on this car. Like HIREN mentioned above, Hypertech makes stuff for domestics like if you swap in different rear end gears, or have huge tires for off-roading. You could ask at a Honda dealership too. Nissan has CONSULT-II programmers that "might" have an adjustment for that, but I haven't heard of anything like that for Hondas.

If you just want to know how fast you're going for real, get a GPS and see what your actual speed is at various indicated speeds. My Maxima's speedo is about 2.5 mph fast at 75 mph. So the GPS says 75.0, but the speedo says 77.5. Our Highlander is dead on accurate north of 100 mph and Accord speedos are known to get *extremely* "fast" above 100 mph. As in, 140 indicated, but you're really only doing 130 or so. over 10 mph fast.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #16
Work hard...play harder!

Send a message via AIM to OCdjg
I believe thats true to an extent. The speedometer is pre-programed using that formula based on the stock diameter of the wheel and tire. Once you change that tho, the sytem wont automatically recalibrate itself to the new diameter. The difference is minimal tho. At a worse case scenario it my be off by no more than 5 miles an hour. Again thats worst case, but usally its like 1-3 miles off.

LoL...what he said ^^

Last edited by OCdjg; December 28th, 2005 at 04:19 PM..
OCdjg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #17
Founder of PsychoLemon CC

Send a message via ICQ to DeadDoc Send a message via AIM to DeadDoc Send a message via MSN to DeadDoc Send a message via Yahoo to DeadDoc
My only issue is that I like to go no more than 15 over..... and haha the cops on most of the roads i drive wont pull you over unless ur 16+ and yeah ive done that once... when it was 215x55x16 it read 61 and clocked at 61 by a cop now I think its off by about 5mph at 60 not ure exactly.... my friend (00 av6 sedan) and i did a 60 run and i swear he was reading it off be i did 60 then to 65 and his numbers whent higher then lower so yeah i think he was on some crack then.... HAHA! weee i need sleep!

the main thing I dont like though is the odometer readout will be extremely off after a period of time. 3% with a large enough amoutn of miles is a huge error.

Why did honda give us an ECU like this!!!! GAHH can't have anty fun with it!
DeadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in