Replacing Stock Speakers w/o getting an Amp - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #1

Replacing Stock Speakers w/o getting an Amp

Another n00b question but these are the speakers I plan to purchase for my 7th gen

Infinity Kappa 63.5i for the Front
Infinity Kappa 693.5i for the Rear

Is it possible to power these speakers without an amp? Just wire them to the old wiring for the car?

I heard underpowering will damage speakers but just using factory setup, do you guys think this will be okay?

I plan to add the JBL P80.4 later on when I have some more money, but its such a waste if I ordered these speakrs and they just sit around not being used..
oneshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2003, 07:24 AM   #2

I am not sure on this one, but I believe you can replace the speakers and everything will work fine. The amp in the headunit isn't running a crazy ohm rating like many of the Bose setups.

The problem that you will most likely face is distortion because the headunit does not have enough juice to really drive the speakers. You will notice this especially in the low frequency ranges.

The speakers that you are getting are obviously better than stock, but in many cases I don't think you will be able to turn up the speakers a great deal without having them distort. Distortion can kill a speaker, but that is usually because someone is really abusing them.

I could be wrong though so please don't take my word on it.
Bravo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #3

Re: Replacing Stock Speakers w/o getting an Amp

Quote:
Originally posted by oneshot on June 12th, 2003 at 08:55 AM

Another n00b question but these are the speakers I plan to purchase for my 7th gen

Infinity Kappa 63.5i for the Front
Infinity Kappa 693.5i for the Rear

Is it possible to power these speakers without an amp? Just wire them to the old wiring for the car?

I heard underpowering will damage speakers but just using factory setup, do you guys think this will be okay?

I plan to add the JBL P80.4 later on when I have some more money, but its such a waste if I ordered these speakrs and they just sit around not being used..
Most def, the stock speakers can easily be replaced and work without an amp. And they'll work just fine on the OEM HU... you might need to get some wiring harnesses from Circuit City/Best Buy for the speakers, but that's all of $7-$10.

Now I wouldn't though, I replaced the HU first, then stock speakers. I plan on adding an amp soon, but I haven't needed one yet cause my HU is good and my speakers push out enough where I'm conent.

-- Vikram
vikrampant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 13th, 2003, 01:14 AM   #4

First off, congratulations on thinking of audio upgrades. The stock HU puts out about clean 5-10 watts of power turned 3/4way up on the volume level control. The kappas recommened between 45-95 watts of power, given that they are effiecient you wont really need clean rms power to make them sound good.

The stock speakers have adapters on them to directly snap into the stock wiring harness. So if you do indeed want to install these, you might have to purchase a adapter(ask crutchfield.. they might supply you a few if you ask I believe), if not you can just cut and use butt connecters instead.

Sound output, right off the bat you will notice better midrange, clearer highs, but perhaps midbass will be lacking. You will want to hear the same SPL intensity that you heard with the stock speakers but wont be able to due to the higher power requirements of the kappas vs the stock(which are happy with 10-15 watts).

I'd say for a low cost install without the hassle, install them and once you have the funds add a amp to the stock deck. I've seen a few ppl with aftermarket decks but the stock system "look" is now utterly useless. One the 7th gen's greatest attribute is the center HVAC stack, IMO it's beautiful If I had to upgrade I would add to the stock system HU and not replace it. But that's just my opinion.

Lastly, the misconception of distortion and low power. The threshold of heat and voicecoil melt-down, which is caused by going beyond the speaker threshold can only occur if the speaker's tech specs are not greater than the distorted power that is induced. So if a speaker had a threshold of 15-20watts rms and 50watts peak. If I had a 50 watt amp(with gains all the way up) and sent out clipped distorted signal to the speaker... a induced clipped signal will occur which roughly doubles the output power of the amp.. so 100watts of distored/clipped power will damage that specific speaker. But let's say you hooked up Kappas to the same amp, whose speaker tech specs are about 45-90watts rms and around 125watts peak(rough estimate), even with a clipped distorted signal the speakers will not be damaged due to the fact that the threshold of the speaker has really not been reached.

*phew* I hope some of this info helped. Take care.
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2003, 06:58 AM   #5
My AV6 is all gone...

Send a message via AIM to 6spdcoupe
Quote:
Originally posted by L_fty on June 13th, 2003 at 03:14 AM

First off, congratulations on thinking of audio upgrades. The stock HU puts out about clean 5-10 watts of power turned 3/4way up on the volume level control. The kappas recommened between 45-95 watts of power, given that they are effiecient you wont really need clean rms power to make them sound good.

The stock speakers have adapters on them to directly snap into the stock wiring harness. So if you do indeed want to install these, you might have to purchase a adapter(ask crutchfield.. they might supply you a few if you ask I believe), if not you can just cut and use butt connecters instead.

Sound output, right off the bat you will notice better midrange, clearer highs, but perhaps midbass will be lacking. You will want to hear the same SPL intensity that you heard with the stock speakers but wont be able to due to the higher power requirements of the kappas vs the stock(which are happy with 10-15 watts).

I'd say for a low cost install without the hassle, install them and once you have the funds add a amp to the stock deck. I've seen a few ppl with aftermarket decks but the stock system "look" is now utterly useless. One the 7th gen's greatest attribute is the center HVAC stack, IMO it's beautiful If I had to upgrade I would add to the stock system HU and not replace it. But that's just my opinion.

Lastly, the misconception of distortion and low power. The threshold of heat and voicecoil melt-down, which is caused by going beyond the speaker threshold can only occur if the speaker's tech specs are not greater than the distorted power that is induced. So if a speaker had a threshold of 15-20watts rms and 50watts peak. If I had a 50 watt amp(with gains all the way up) and sent out clipped distorted signal to the speaker... a induced clipped signal will occur which roughly doubles the output power of the amp.. so 100watts of distored/clipped power will damage that specific speaker. But let's say you hooked up Kappas to the same amp, whose speaker tech specs are about 45-90watts rms and around 125watts peak(rough estimate), even with a clipped distorted signal the speakers will not be damaged due to the fact that the threshold of the speaker has really not been reached.

*phew* I hope some of this info helped. Take care.
Couldnt have said it better myself...

Although if you are installing these yourself, you will need to make/buy rings to mount the front speakers. The factory speakers are made into the brackets, which in turn snap right into the door. A ring of plastic (bought) or cut from MDF is suitable. Depending on the depth of those speakers will determine how thick of a ring you will need..

Also cutting *some* of the inner ring of the door panel (plastic) itself MAY be neccesary to avoid touching and causing vibration.

--Don
6spdcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in