LCD & PC hook up - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2003, 02:54 AM   #1

LCD & PC hook up

i was thikning of buying a touch LCD screen for my 2k av6 which i would connect to my laptop in my trunk

i wanted to make it a touch screen and then have a GPS system installed in my laptop which i have a dvd player and an mp3 player through the laptop

i was wondering if i could basically just make the LCD screen a monitor for the laptop which would also double as the mouse beucase it would be touch screen

if anyone has any models or advice for me, i would really appreciate it

thanks

go here if you wanna see some pics of my car
www.cardomain.com/id/phatdog618
phatdog618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2003, 02:55 AM   #2

oh yeah, and i wanted to place the LCD screen right behind the shifter so it would cover the bin under the center console
phatdog618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #3
Phi Kappa Sigma "Skulls"

Send a message via AIM to svp50
this is posssilbe but very expensive...first u would have to find a 7" or 6" LCD touchscreen that has serial wires to hook up to the laptop...can't just use a regular LCD...next depending on the laptop you would have to buy special software for the screen so it can read ur movments...its not just plug and play...on cpu's you can just buy a video card that would support it...you best bet is to just purchase a touchpad and locate it perhaps where your cup holders are...and then use a regualar LCD(if you laptop has RCA video ouput) or you will still have to buy a computer LCD with serial connections...if you have anymore questions let me know...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
svp50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 22nd, 2003, 06:41 PM   #4

Dude, it's beyond easy to hook up a PC to a LCD ... all the costs are basically the hardware.

I got an in-dash 5.6" LCD for $250. The 7" touchscreen I want that has VGA hookup is about $500.

I connect my PC via RCA (yellow) to the screen and have a USB mouse ($15 at CompUSA) that is hand-held trackball like. (A touchscreen would connect via serial or USB to the PC)

Then you're set to go.

Below is how my GPS looks in my car.

Hope this helps,
Vikram
vikrampant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2003, 06:43 PM   #5

forgot to attach pic...
Attached Thumbnails
LCD & PC hook up-picture-057.jpg  
Old June 22nd, 2003, 06:48 PM   #6

btw - sorry again, forgot to post link

7" in-dash touchscreen
http://www.digitalww.com/LCD_TM_701L.htm
Old June 22nd, 2003, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by vikrampant on June 22nd, 2003 at 05:43 PM

forgot to attach pic...
That is cool, what GPS software do you run on your laptop? How long does it take for laptop to startup? How do you handle turning off your car, you would have to shut it down everytime you turn off your car right?

Last edited by Crestgel; June 22nd, 2003 at 08:26 PM..
Crestgel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2003, 09:36 PM   #8
Phi Kappa Sigma "Skulls"

very good info...those sites have great values

Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:27 PM   #9

It's even easier if your laptop has an RCA out, my Sonys does, I believe Macs do, likely many others. Then you can just use any LCD screen. As stated though, touch-screen requires special software and other setup - I'd recommend a wireless RF USB keyboard/mouse setup for control. No wires, no line of sight issues, and the range is enough for most cars.

Sam
Sam Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:30 PM   #10
Phi Kappa Sigma "Skulls"

my sony has a line out too but the resolution gets messed up on a tv...so im thinking on a little 7 in it might look really bad...
Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:32 PM   #11

How about the hassle of having to shutdown the computer and start it up every time you start and stop your car? Any solutions to it?
Crestgel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:48 PM   #12
Phi Kappa Sigma "Skulls"

Quote:
Originally posted by Crestgel on June 23rd, 2003 at 12:32 AM

How about the hassle of having to shutdown the computer and start it up every time you start and stop your car? Any solutions to it?
well laptops have batteries that hold around 2 hours...so for short stops that doesn't matter...for long ones when the battery runs down enough the computer will hibernate(turn off after saving all of ur settings) then when u turn the car back on the laptop would begin charging again and you could turn it back on and it will pick off exactly where it left off due to the hibernate feature...

Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Crestgel on June 22nd, 2003 at 09:09 PM

That is cool, what GPS software do you run on your laptop? How long does it take for laptop to startup? How do you handle turning off your car, you would have to shut it down everytime you turn off your car right?
There's two aspects to my current set-up.

Right now I only turn the GPS on for road trips etc, cause to shut it down requires me to Start > Shut Down.

I have a circuit board a guy sells on MP3car.com for $22 that you wire to the battery, car acc line and your mobo, it's a neat shutdown controller.... I have never wired anything to the batt, so I'm not there yet ... I shold install that soon since it's all I got left.

I use Delorme Street Atlas (at CompUSA for $35) ... I use Deluo USB GPS ($85)

Again, when I add the shutdown controller, then the computer will start-up and shutdown with the ignition. It's a really neat gizmo these guys built. It is a PC though. I had a laptop and that must be shut down by you pushing the button, etc.

I bought a cheap Celeron 900 desktop and threw it into the trunk.

-- Vikram
Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:50 AM   #14

For you guys worrying about shutdown there are two popular ways.

One is called the ATX Shutdown controller ($22 or so)
http://home.attbi.com/~zootjeff/shutdown/

Another, much more expensive, is what cops use in their cars, etc. It's about $200 and from a company called Opus, it's both a shutdown controller and power supply.
http://www.opussolutions.com/150watt.html

The Opus is GREAT from what I read, also I use an inverter which has fan noise, etc ... the Opus is straight DC-DC and runs nearly quiet. (Some people even remove the fan and it's completely quiet)

Anyway these are two popular ways to shutdown a desktop, a laptop is completey another story.

I used a laptop to test out my GPS, etc, play DVDs, divx etc but again I'd use it for road trips not running to the grocery store and back.

If you're into computers and cars, this is a nice side hobby.

hope this info helps somewhat

-- Vikram
Old June 23rd, 2003, 02:32 PM   #15
Phi Kappa Sigma "Skulls"

Quote:
Originally posted by vikrampant on June 23rd, 2003 at 01:50 PM

Another, much more expensive, is what cops use in their cars, etc. It's about $200 and from a company called Opus, it's both a shutdown controller and power supply.
http://www.opussolutions.com/150watt.html

The Opus is GREAT from what I read, also I use an inverter which has fan noise, etc ... the Opus is straight DC-DC and runs nearly quiet. (Some people even remove the fan and it's completely quiet)
I just worked on a project for my engineering clinic do that stuff...We just redid the State police cars here in new jersey...the Opus was what they oringinally have but now the ECEs just redisigned a power supply/computer for them...basically the same principle but the shutdown is built into the the motherboard of the cpu...its really amazing...they have a couple of prototypes laying around in gonna see if i can get my hands on that...

Old June 24th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by svp50 on June 23rd, 2003 at 04:32 PM

they have a couple of prototypes laying around in gonna see if i can get my hands on that...
If you can, take some pics, that would be neat to look at... (and maybe buy )
-- Vikram
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:20 AM   #17

It's not difficult if you know basic circuit design - most modern computers have remote administration capability built into the motherboard, meaning you can turn them on/off via remote signal, usually from network. All you've got to do is program your own IC to monitor switched ignition power and turn the computer on/off based off that, and link that into the computer based off the same remote administration.

Hooking to power is even easier as computer power is either 12V or 5V, you can link direct to car 12V, and use a simple voltage regulator for 5V supply.

Sam
Sam Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in