What's better? Alpine 10" sub or JL-Audio 10" sub? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #1
Vimal (vee-mall)

Send a message via AIM to KnightRyder
What's better? Alpine 10" sub or JL-Audio 10" sub?

i saw this add in the good guys catalog for these subs, im not going for a earthshaking system, i just want a little more bass over the stock system. the Alpine sub comes with a specail tuned enclosure and the JL-Audio sub just comes with the standard wedge like box.

The Alpine sub with tuned enclosure is $279.99 and the Jl-Audio sub with standard box is $129.99. Is it the price of the tuned enclosure of the Alpine that makes it more expensive or is it just that the Alpine sub is much better?

one more question, would i HAVE to buy an amplifier for these subs to produce a moderate amount of bass because i really dont want to spend a few hundred bucks for an amp for just one 10" sub. or would i lose too much bass without the amp?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by KnightRyder; June 19th, 2003 at 07:25 PM..
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #2
Vimal (vee-mall)

anybody???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 20th, 2003, 08:52 AM   #3
Owner of a slow ass Accord

Send a message via AIM to Nikerey
ok first off, yes you need an amp....your headunit doesnt put out any power to a sub, Most HU have a 4 channel amp in them, which means it sends power to just the 4 speakers. Second, your choice on the subs depends on which series of JL you are looking at....The tunned boxes from Alpine are good....If the JL is a W0 tthen its crap...If its a W3 then they are about equal...Anything above a W3 is better. But for 129 i know its not a W6 or W7. Is it just a prefabricated box or is it a JL power wedge? JL makes some of their boxes that look like they are just prefab boxes but a tunned for the sub.

98 Honda Accord EX V6
2 12" JL W6 V2s w/ JL 1000/1--Fiber Images CF Hood
Tannabe Hyper Medallion--Injen intake--TYC Heads & Tails
Other Misc mods

N.A.T.O. - No Altezza Taillight Organization
Anti N.A.T.T.O.
Nikerey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 22nd, 2003, 07:14 PM   #4
Vimal (vee-mall)

the JL is a 10W4, im not sure if it's a power wedge box or not. thanks for the info

Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:29 PM   #5
Owner of a slow ass Accord

Send a message via AIM to Nikerey
a 10W4? they make a W4

98 Honda Accord EX V6
2 12" JL W6 V2s w/ JL 1000/1--Fiber Images CF Hood
Tannabe Hyper Medallion--Injen intake--TYC Heads & Tails
Other Misc mods

N.A.T.O. - No Altezza Taillight Organization
Anti N.A.T.T.O.
Nikerey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2003, 09:16 PM   #6
Jr Member

I would choose the Alpine, over the Jl Audio, now if it was a W3v2 I would get the Jl, but it's a discontinued W4. For sure you are going to need an amp for that Alpine, you would need an amp that has around 300 watts rms.
jrvtecaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2003, 09:31 PM   #7

it depends what you really want.. the JL subs produce nice bass.. but clearity of sound is not so good.. try running a rockford amp or a jl with it..its gonna knock.. i would say..getting a single 12w3v2 or a 10w3v2 would be good enough..
sonnieeeeboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:29 PM   #8
Vimal (vee-mall)

yep, its a 10W4, maybe thats why it's pretty cheap, hehe. i think im prolly gonna end up getting the 10w3v2 single with a jl amp too and maybe in the future i'll in the jl interior speakers for even more bass. thanks for the help guys

Old June 23rd, 2003, 06:12 AM   #9
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
...adding interior speakers will not give you extended bass beyond the level of your subwoofer. I'm sorry I wish that were true, but what they will offer you(with the right install, tuning and amp) is much better extension of the critical lower midrange/upper midbass response that most everyone craves from a nice typical 6.5 or 5.25 inch speakers. The tight accurate sound of a kick-drum can only be had with interior speakers that can dish it out.. Please dont force your sub to play these frequencies(crossing the sub high around 90-125hz).. you'll mess up your soundstage with directional bass you can tell coming from behind you. Just alittle friendly advice to a person starting to get serious with car audio.
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in