What kind of amp should i use? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 6TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (1998-2002) > 6G HONDA ACCORD EXTERIOR/INTERIOR MODS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2003, 09:29 PM   #1
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Midnight Heretic Send a message via Yahoo to Midnight Heretic
What kind of amp should i use?

Im going to put in some Infinity 6.5 Infinity Kappa components in the front and ive got infinity kappa 6x9s in the rears, i want to amplify all 4 speakers, can you tell me what kind of amp to use
here are some specs

6.5 Kappa components-RMS 90W-270w peak-4 ohms

6x9 rears-330w max power-110rms-4 ohm

what would be the best amp for these? i dont know anything about car audio, or if you have any suggestions please feel free to suggest

and keep in mind...im not planning on buying and kind of jl or some expensive ass amp, just something clean and simple
Midnight Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:57 PM   #2
Senior Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Blazin036
a 4 channle amp
Blazin036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:02 PM   #3
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Midnight Heretic Send a message via Yahoo to Midnight Heretic
yeah i realize a 4 channel amp...but im talking specifics.... like a model # and name........cause i know there are hard core sound peeps on here

Old June 24th, 2003, 06:51 AM   #4
tastes like donkeyballs

Send a message via AIM to L_fty
Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightAccord on June 24th, 2003 at 06:02 AM

yeah i realize a 4 channel amp...but im talking specifics.... like a model # and name........cause i know there are hard core sound peeps on here
I love how ppl ask for amp suggestions.. but yet they do not give the person their budget... when you say you dont wanna spend alot.. what does that mean? Also if you buy from online expect to install the amp yourself. If you expect to buy retail..I cant help you because I never buy from local shops... too expensive for the same dam thing you can get online.

so if you're going the online route:
budget: 200 - 250
check out US acoustics 4085 amp at www.crutchfield.com or perhaps ebay. Solid entry level amp with a great warranty(3 years if you buy from crutchfield)

budget: 300 - 400
probably a JL 300/4 on eBay
Hifonics 4 channel @ www.thezeb.com
a PPI PCX 4 channel amp(look up specifics at www.precisionpower.com) check out carmedia1.com for good prices on new amps or eBay for used ones.
L_fty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #5
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
Quote:
Originally posted by Blazin036 on June 23rd, 2003 at 10:57 PM

a 4 channle amp
ha ha ha
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #6
Banned

actually i kinda covered budget,

"and keep in mind...im not planning on buying and kind of jl or some expensive ass amp, just something clean and simple"

ill check out the us acoustics one
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:09 PM   #7
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
if you go to www.ikesound.com they selling some cheap amps
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 25th, 2003, 12:30 AM   #8
Jr Member

ok, let 's see you plan on putting some decent Infinity Kappas in the front and rear, then you want to get some cheap amp to power them, what's the logic?

You have some nice Infinity Kappas, why dont you spend alittle more money for a decent amp like Xtant, Jl Audio, etc.

I have Polk Momo MM6 in the front and Infinity Kappa 692.5i in the rear powered by an Xtant A4004T
jrvtecaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 25th, 2003, 11:13 AM   #9
Banned

im not a car audio guru, i probably wont even tell the difference, my infinitys give me tonz of clarity, thats why i love them......since the jl isnt that much more i will prob go with that just to be sure.....but thanks for the input
Old June 26th, 2003, 08:30 AM   #10
Senior Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Blazin036
Quote:
Originally posted by 2002HondaAckord on June 24th, 2003 at 12:44 PM

ha ha ha
post whore and yes i do realize i am also post whoring by saying this, J/k

back to the subject have you concidered MTX or alpine?

Last edited by Blazin036; June 26th, 2003 at 08:33 AM..
Blazin036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2003, 09:26 AM   #11

the specs on the US Acoustic amp look great! i always wanterd to get one to check it out, but never did. I would go with a US Ac. 4 channel, it LOOKS to be the best bang for your buck, but then again i've never heard one. Or just get a Rockford 4 channel, you cant go wrong w/ Rockford, if you dont mind spendin a little more. Let me know if you get the US Ac. amp, i'm curious to see how it sounds.
smokedoutv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #12
Banned

no im going to go with the jl......no i did not consider mtx or alpine cuz ive had alpine amps b4 and it sucked....and i dont like mtx
Old June 26th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #13
**** Katrina. RIP Accord.

Send a message via AIM to N.O. Accorderz
PPI art series? McIntosh? PG? Memphis? Avionixx? Alpine?
i have a memphis amp and i love it
N.O. Accorderz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #14
Banned

see most of the amps you are naming...i dont even know......like i said b4......i dont know **** about car audio....i just want a nice system....a jl amp and 4 infinity speakers makes me very happy!

Old July 3rd, 2003, 07:43 PM   #15

One of my personal fav's good ol'e soundstream.. They have a 4 channel thats 85x4 look on line an you can get them for a good price....
BLK coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2003, 07:50 PM   #16
Banned

i dont think thats enough wattage for the infinitys
Old July 3rd, 2003, 09:13 PM   #17
The Old Man

Send a message via AIM to trafficjam
What kind of Inifinity speakers are you running in the back? 693.5?
trafficjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 3rd, 2003, 09:56 PM   #18
Banned

692.5i in the rear, and i cant remember but i got 6.5 components for the front, cant remember which one
Old July 5th, 2003, 10:46 AM   #19

It's gonna be hard to find any amp with in reason that has more power then 85x4. With some amps the more power the more destortion you get. Take a look at power sheets if you have the time to look at the destortion level... good luck.
Old July 5th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #20
Banned

blk coupe, i have no idea what you said, please put in it some easier to understand terms,i was planning on just going witht the 300/4 from jl,
Old July 7th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #21
tastes like donkeyballs

Quote:
Originally posted by BLK coupe on July 5th, 2003 at 05:46 PM

It's gonna be hard to find any amp with in reason that has more power then 85x4. With some amps the more power the more destortion you get. Take a look at power sheets if you have the time to look at the destortion level... good luck.
wow... I hope this guy was just joking... please please tell me he's joking and whatever he just said can be passed off as just jibberish...

please do explain what you mean by "distortion level", and why you cant find an amp that can deliver more than 85 rms watts due to this "increased" distortion level...

I look forward to this discussion

midnight.. the jl is a good amp.. if you dont mind having the same power for 4ohms as well as 2 ohms down the road. expensive.. but eBay has some great prices on it... prices I think should be what they are instead of those bloated ridiculous retail prices.
Old July 7th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #22
Banned

yeah, well what do you mean about the whole 4 ohm to 2 ohm thing, like i said b4 i know nothing about car audio, but i found somebody on the site selling a jl 300/4 for 269
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #23

how about RockFord I have the same setup with Infinity's and Iím thinking about getting a ROCKFORD FOSGATE 801X runs about 300 on eBay is the JL 300 better?

A little off topic here. Wiring the amp and speakers, Running 4 AWG for the amp and 12 AWG for the speakers good enough?
Crestgel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #24
Banned

well from what i know, jl makes some of the best stuff, i like rockford stuff also, but if im going to spend 300 or around there i will probably go with jl
Old July 7th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #25
tastes like donkeyballs

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightAccord on July 7th, 2003 at 04:53 PM

yeah, well what do you mean about the whole 4 ohm to 2 ohm thing, like i said b4 i know nothing about car audio, but i found somebody on the site selling a jl 300/4 for 269
ohm is the measurement of resistence to current. Voicecoils of speakers especially car speakers are typically coiled by the manufacturer per speaker as either 4 or 2 ohms. Multiple speakers can be wired to numerous ways of ohm configurations. Basically ppl tend to change their ohm configurataion to get the most out of their respective amp. This is geared towards ppl with subwoofers. Interior speakers and 2 or 4 channel amps are usually not that concerned with ohms, but for example.. Image Dynamics chamelean component speaker sets come in 4 or 2 ohm configurations. If you already had a amp that could dish out 50watts per channel @ 4 ohms and 100watts per channel @ 2ohms .... a person might want to look into the 2 ohm set to utilize his current amp better.... yes distortion does increase as you lower impedence as well the amp runs a little hotter.. but hey we all like more juice in our veins.

hope that helped.
Old July 7th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #26
tastes like donkeyballs

Quote:
Originally posted by Crestgel on July 7th, 2003 at 05:10 PM

how about RockFord I have the same setup with Infinity's and Iím thinking about getting a ROCKFORD FOSGATE 801X runs about 300 on eBay is the JL 300 better?

A little off topic here. Wiring the amp and speakers, Running 4 AWG for the amp and 12 AWG for the speakers good enough?
12awg is overkill but perfectly fine. I'm running 14awg speaker wires with 200watts rms @ 4ohms with absolutely no problems..16awg would've also worked... but NOT that 1,000 gauge stock wire they use heheheh
Old July 8th, 2003, 11:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by L_fty on July 7th, 2003 at 07:25 AM

wow... I hope this guy was just joking... please please tell me he's joking and whatever he just said can be passed off as just jibberish...

please do explain what you mean by "distortion level", and why you cant find an amp that can deliver more than 85 rms watts due to this "increased" distortion level...

I look forward to this discussion

midnight.. the jl is a good amp.. if you dont mind having the same power for 4ohms as well as 2 ohms down the road. expensive.. but eBay has some great prices on it... prices I think should be what they are instead of those bloated ridiculous retail prices.

Well what i was gettin at was the buget side of things.. Yes there are amps out there that put out more then 85x4. but like it was said earlier will it be CLEAN POWER is my ???? So b4 you go bittin heads off just sit back in listen to what i am sayin thats all..

1999 ford contour svt (h&r springs, koni yellow sturts, k&n intake, sho-shop y- pipe, brullen exhaust,b&m short shift,225/50/16 bridgestone so'3's nuttin but the best)

I got the best of both worlds, in my price buget.
Old July 9th, 2003, 07:15 AM   #28
tastes like donkeyballs

Quote:
Originally posted by BLK coupe on July 9th, 2003 at 06:49 AM

Well what i was gettin at was the buget side of things.. Yes there are amps out there that put out more then 85x4. but like it was said earlier will it be CLEAN POWER is my ???? So b4 you go bittin heads off just sit back in listen to what i am sayin thats all..
I bite ppl's heads off who tend to mouth off vague information and tend to steer noobs with misinformation. Please do explain "Clean power"? And what values of distortion would constitute the meaning of "clean power"? Would 0.001%THD vs 0.1% THD be differentiated?

Every amp sold out there can run its rated power with a distortion level that's more than likely inaudible (below 1% THD). The differences among price ranges mostly come about from build quality, PC board layout, RMS power vs clipped power, and brandname. But to tell me that lower quality amps will have audible distorted power is just funny... lower quality amps will have lower build quality... perhaps burn out quicker, less lifetime on the pc boards, solder joints, transister life... or the most common issue with lower quality amps are they are easily clippable..which is audible as "distorted" sound.

Next time please just explain yourself a little more, so ppl who are new to car audio can understand your point and perhaps create themselves a foundation to further educate themselves on the concepts of speaker/amp/wire/etc terminology.
Old July 9th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally posted by L_fty on July 9th, 2003 at 06:15 AM

I bite ppl's heads off who tend to mouth off vague information and tend to steer noobs with misinformation. Please do explain "Clean power"? And what values of distortion would constitute the meaning of "clean power"? Would 0.001%THD vs 0.1% THD be differentiated?

Every amp sold out there can run its rated power with a distortion level that's more than likely inaudible (below 1% THD). The differences among price ranges mostly come about from build quality, PC board layout, RMS power vs clipped power, and brandname. But to tell me that lower quality amps will have audible distorted power is just funny... lower quality amps will have lower build quality... perhaps burn out quicker, less lifetime on the pc boards, solder joints, transister life... or the most common issue with lower quality amps are they are easily clippable..which is audible as "distorted" sound.

Next time please just explain yourself a little more, so ppl who are new to car audio can understand your point and perhaps create themselves a foundation to further educate themselves on the concepts of speaker/amp/wire/etc terminology.

1999 ford contour svt (h&r springs, koni yellow sturts, k&n intake, sho-shop y- pipe, brullen exhaust,b&m short shift,225/50/16 bridgestone so'3's nuttin but the best)

Old July 10th, 2003, 12:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally posted by L_fty on July 9th, 2003 at 06:15 AM

Well i will make this simple an sweet for everyone ok here we go, all i was sayin was that at different prices you get different quality an i think we all know that.. I was lookin at what he already had bought an was merly making a suggestion to him. rms an peak power are 2 different things remeber that so all i was going was tryin to match up his stuff that would fit the bill.. or he allready bought...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in